Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy02
I agree the states should be funded for these projects, but with all the partisan politics at the state and federal levels nothing gets done quickly. Yes, there are projects going on but not nearly to the extent they should be to protect our infrastructure. Here in Illinois, where corruption is a favorite hobby of our politicians, road projects that are completed frequently (and mysteriously) need to be redone in a year or two because the work is so shoddy.

Whether state or federal, the system is broken as well as our infrastructure. It matters not what political label you put on it - they're all the same. Again, apologies for my rant! It's just so frustrating!
Here in PA also, they repave or need to repave every 2 years. The side (secondary) roads get a strip of paving (about 3' wide) and 3 years later the strip gets patches. sigh... a patchwork quilt looks better.
I am sure (my opinion) a inspector lost his job; but a contractor was caught using below grade materials on I81 (think it was 7 miles or so), and it had to be re ground and repaved.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pennsylvania

There are a couple of bridge crossings on I-78 going east that will get you airborne. I always remember the one my Cabelas (Hamburg exit).
The welcome sign should read "Welcome to Pennsylvania, please expect construction until you leave the state. They keep trying to use concrete and all it does is heave and get really bumpy.

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #59

I dont know if its true, but I heard the Autobond in Germany, is concrete & 6 foot thick.
Said it was built like that in case they wanted to land planes on it & thick so that it could stand up to bombings & easier to repair a section.

?? anybody know.
Neil
Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
I dont know if its true, but I heard the Autobond in Germany, is concrete & 6 foot thick.
Said it was built like that in case they wanted to land planes on it & thick so that it could stand up to bombings & easier to repair a section.

?? anybody know.
Neil
Looks asphalt to me.

The Autobahn - The German Highway - YouTube!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post

?? anybody know.
Neil
Don't know about thickness, but highways in Europe, in general, are always in better shape than US roads. Smaller countries, vehicles are lighter, and traffic may be less. They are also not held to lowest bidder constraints when issuing road contracts, but instead are free to choose the best materials and contractors. I wonder what kind of stink taxpayers would raise if highway contracts were awarded to a "best" bidder, instead of a low bidder?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a believer in crying once when making a purchase. Always try to get the best that you can afford. Maybe they should do that with our roads.

And the traffic looks busy in that video clip.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Don't know about thickness, but highways in Europe, in general, are always in better shape than US roads. Smaller countries, vehicles are lighter, and traffic may be less. They are also not held to lowest bidder constraints when issuing road contracts, but instead are free to choose the best materials and contractors. I wonder what kind of stink taxpayers would raise if highway contracts were awarded to a "best" bidder, instead of a low bidder?
My guess is if our various branches of federal and state governments were more corruption-free and transparent, taxpayers would be okay with choosing the best contractors, not the cheapest. Here in Illinois many of the contractors are BAD. Shoddy work, super slow progress, lazy workers, and rigged contracts are just some of the issues we see here in the land of Lincoln. I'm sure other states suffer with the same garbage. It's a shame there are no easy answers... Perhaps stopping the concept of "career politicians" would help
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #64
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't understand how most road work ever gets done. The high percentage of the time they're all standing around scratching their heads. It's rare when we see the equipment moving.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick

Not the toll road in France, of course that was back in 1978.
As for the bidding, I have a part in awarding contracts. After labor, the rest comes from cheaper parts, for the most part. Some are due diligence, but look at any housing development and see if you can tell which were the first houses and when they decided they were running out of money.
As I have proven many times here despite what the people that watch the dollars think, you can save more money by spending more up front (if you have oversight). Of course if the government spends less they can give away..... excuse me..... support more causes.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #66

Recently traveled from Central PA to Wisconsin. Going out took the toll Interstates and Turnpikes through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois; spent nearly $100 in tolls ($40 just to go across Ohio) and had some of the worse roads we have traveled in some time.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was going to make the comment that the work is so poor it was like it was never done. It was stated above and I can only agree, so let me say it again you can't fix stupid but you can vote them out, or maybe I should say greedy, or maybe both.

Don
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
I was going to make the comment that the work is so poor it was like it was never done. It was stated above and I can only agree, so let me say it again you can't fix stupid but you can vote them out, or maybe I should say greedy, or maybe both.

Don
Right Grimesy on all counts.
Its a waist of time voting, when the crooks are just going to put in office who they want that will keep the money flowing to them.

When we going to take this country back instead of the crooks having their cake & eating it to.
Neil
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #69

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Let me switch this around a little bit. We've hit all the states but certainly not all the roads listed.
I'd like to comment that I found the roads in Florida to be the nicest. Sure there were a couple bad spots, but in general I think their highways are the smoothest.
I am from Florida, so this is not bashing. Texas has much better roads than Florida. Nice wide shoulders. Even secondary roads are well maintained.

They have the best roads that I have seen in 36 states.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks

I am from Florida, so this is not bashing. Texas has much better roads than Florida. Nice wide shoulders. Even secondary roads are well maintained.

They have the best roads that I have seen in 36 states.
Some times it is in what you are use to...
DW and I went to Myrtle Beach last year and started laughing when they told us that the one road was in pretty bad shape and they were finally going to repair it. When I saw they were staring and serious I mentioned they should come visit north east PA.