Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #71
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would have to say that the two worst roads I have been on are the Pennsylvania Turnpike and the Cross Bronx Expressway in NY. The Cross Bronx hwy is about the only short way to get to New England when you are going north. Have someone in a car follow you so they can pick up all the parts that are jarred off your MH.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I would have to say that the two worst roads I have been on are the Pennsylvania Turnpike and the Cross Bronx Expressway in NY. The Cross Bronx hwy is about the only short way to get to New England when you are going north. Have someone in a car follow you so they can pick up all the parts that are jarred off your MH.

I hate the Cross Bronx Expressway in a car!

It's a little longer (less than 20 extra miles) but I prefer the Garden State Parkway - Tappan Zee Bridge - I-287.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can I just say...ILLINOIS and leave it at that?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-55

I hate the Cross Bronx Expressway in a car!

It's a little longer (less than 20 extra miles) but I prefer the Garden State Parkway - Tappan Zee Bridge - I-287.
Have you tried the BQE?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #75

Come visit us in Alaska. Then we'll discuss bad road conditions. Lol
Put79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Put79 View Post
Come visit us in Alaska. Then we'll discuss bad road conditions. Lol
I think I'll just stay to the south, read & dream about Alaska first.
Brother in law & wife went first of summer, boy did he have something to talk about when they returned home.
Neil
Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The only other road that I have traveled on which is WORSE than the ones in CA is a 100 mile section of the Alaskan Highway in the Yukon starting just north of Destruction Bay all the way up to the border at Beaver Creek, YK. If you are going more than 15-20 mph and still using both sides of the entire road, you WILL do some damage to something.

Now remember that these are paved roads. There are plenty of roads in Alaska and the Yukon that are worse but they are NOT paved roads by any stretch of the imagination.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
What a pleasant surprise!!!

I just returned from spending the summer in Alaska and that 100 mile stretch I spoke of in an earlier post located in the Yukon has finally been fixed. Well at least over 90% of it has been worked on and it is in much better shape than the last two years we have driven over it.

I was able to drive 55-60 on most of it whereas if you were doing over 20 you were going to be in trouble.

Now in Whitehorse YK on our way to California.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey, y'all haven't been to ireland then have ye...

(Disclaimer, this is a joke... Irish roads are bad, but not quite as bad as this photo... )
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #79

I haven't been to the northeast in a few years, but the PA interstates my last trip up were not fun. I'm headed up I-65 from northwest Florida to Milwaukee next summer, and am no longer looking forward to it given what I'm reading here. I travel up I-65 through Alabama frequently and am never excited about being on any Alabama interstate, but by far, the trip from Birmingham into GA/TN over I-59 is the worst road I've had to drive the rig on. If gas prices were lower, I'd go north on I-85 through Atlanta and put up with the extra cost and time just to stay off I-59.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #80

National RV Owners Club
I-76 from I-80 to Denver

I-76 from I-80 down to Denver was the worst road we traveled on our 6,000 mile tour from Michigan to California and back. I-10 and US-90 in Louisiana on our way to New Orleans are bone rattlers. Arizona has the best roads we encountered.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #81

I5 - the 'grapevine' going south into Los Angeles - terrible road surface - and goes on for miles!
neil30076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #82

The "Grapevine" going north also.
wackymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #83

Just drove I-20 from Dallas to Atlanta. I thought the Eagle was going to rattle apart in Shreveport. Parts of Mississippi were terrible and once in Georgia the roles were so bad that we bottomed out a few times. I do wonder where the states interstate funding goes.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #84

Many years ago I drove my motorhome To the top of pikes peak comeing down was the worst drive I have ever been on.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote