Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Your Worst Road Condition Reports

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this, but here it goes... After driving home from Florida over the past few days and experiencing some of the worst road conditions I've ever driven on, I wanted to see who has their ratings of the worst roads they've ever experienced in their class A...

Here's my top 5 list...

1) I-65 in Indiana - terrible ruts, potholes, truck debris everywhere, excessive pavement strips, and generally horrible road conditions. The worst stretches are between Chicago and Indy and areas just north of Louisville. Avoid this road whenever possible. Even the truckers are trying to dodge the worst pot holes. Our coach was damaged on the drive last night from debris on the roadway which hit part of our fiberglass rear cap and cracked it.

2) I-65 in Birmingham, Alabama. This road is another disaster. Fortunately it's only about 20-25 miles of rough road.

3) Trans-Canada Highway between Ottawa and North Bay. The road is so bad here that even the locals try to avoid it whenever possible. I felt like our coach was being shaken apart.

4) I-90 between Chicago and Rockford - another terrible road that desperately needs repair...

5) Pennsylvania Turnpike - never again with a motorhome. Between endless construction, narrow lanes, and poor pavement conditions this road is a disaster.

All of these roads made our wonderful DP drive like an old truck. Even slowing down did not help too much. I'm sure I could come up with many more, but these 5 really stand out in my mind - especially I-65 in Indiana. It's a disgrace and shows the total decline of infrastructure in the U.S. Very sad...

2012 Entegra Aspire 40DRQ on Spartan chassis
2006 Toyota Highlander toad
2 daughters, 2 dogs, and 1 wife
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
I-96 Westbound, right lane from Brighton, MI to Lansing, MI

US 23 northbound from the Ohio Line to the first rest area in Michigan

Toll booths on the Ohio Turnpike - very narrow and mirror eaters (took my PS mirror at one)

Roger & Mary
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit toad
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #3

Hwy 385 in Oklahoma heading south the last 10 miles were so bad we slowed to 25 mph. Will never drive it again, haven't ever been so happy to see Texas.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
We live in Indiana and agree that our roads in general and especially the interstates are terrible.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Funny Indiana has been mentioned. On our trip last month on 70 and 69 in Indiana...I told the wife I now know where all the the MODOT rejects go for work...Indiana

This past weekend we were on I-55 and I-39 in Illinois...both were EXCELLENT and both were FAR better than I-55 in MO
96 Dynasty 36' that does NOT wander, thanks to RuppParts.com and their superior "poly" suspension bushings
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club
We came South along I-5 out of Oregon into California and the highway in California was in rough shape, although there was a lot of roadwork goin on, but it was the worst of the highways along the West coast.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RT I-84 Westbound in PA. Almost as soon as you enter from NY the roads turn to pothole filled, bumpy roads. If you want to go on a REAL shakedown cruise in your Motorhome, head out to this road!

We traveled on this stretch of I-84 on our way to Pocono Raceway in June and it was terrible! We had cabinets opening, things falling out, it was our worst stretch of road travel in the motorhome yet.

I was dreading the ride back heading eastbound, but much to my surprise, the eastbound lanes are nothing like the westbound lanes. There were some construction areas on the westbound side, so maybe they're actually working on fixing the road.
2005 National Sea Breeze 1311
2015 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (trailered)
Follow us online http://OurRVJourney.com
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me switch this around a little bit. We've hit all the states but certainly not all the roads listed.
I'd like to comment that I found the roads in Florida to be the nicest. Sure there were a couple bad spots, but in general I think their highways are the smoothest.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is another vote for I-5 in Ca. I have not traveled to Indiana or Canada so I can't compare. I-80 coming down the hill from Reno into Ca is poor too. BTW, In my opinion, Az. roads are the best.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Here is another vote for I-5 in Ca. I-80 coming down the hill from Reno into Ca is poor too.
Add the Pennsylvania Turnpike and this would be my list.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
I'd like to comment that I found the roads in Florida to be the nicest
One more reason to believe that humans should not live where the ground can freeze. We are always amazed every year when we head north how badly winter weather affects highways. We are in IN now and, I agree, some of the worse roads we have seen.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another vote for I-5 in California. It is especially bad starting in Sacramento, but just like driving in an earthquake in LA. We drove that in July. By the time we got to our Daughter's house in LA, all of the spot welds on the nut plates for the sofa legs had broken. I had to re-attach them with JB Weld.
Charlie & Mernie Matthews
Liberty Lake, WA
2014 Columbus 365RL Fifth Wheel
chasmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
I40 around Oklahoma City, Ok. We actually exited because we thought we blew one of our duals the road was so rough.
2002 KSDP
Joplin, MO
Randy125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hwy 412 east of Tulsa. Bad west bound nearly to Tulsa and east bound at hwy 69.

The Hwy 69 south of 412 is no picnic to drive. and hwy 74 feom Durant , either direction.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote