Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2004, 08:18 PM   #1

We finally took delivery on our new 2004 Jazz XL 3100RL on Friday. That ended up being an all day affair. Got to the dealer at 11:30am for our appointment and the delivery guy rushed us through the inspection and showing us how the systems worked. I will be spending time reading the owners manual. The little things that we pointed out that needed to be fixed had not been done, so the technicians were hustling to get them fixed. My fifth wheel hitch was set two inches to low and the delivery guy was trying hard to get my TV and the 5er to hook up with the trailer being nose down. The Reese 20K hitch would not lock up so he told me to drive it off the lot and find some tools to adjust it. I looked at him like he was crazy and said for the charged cost for the delivery inspection they could get a technician to come over and adjust it.

When it was said and done at the end of the day, it was one of the technicians who was the most helpful. He made sure my wife and I had our new rig hooked together properly. He explained how the hitch worked, made sure we did a pull test and then checked all of the lights. He even took a look at our brake controller and leveled it and set the initial brake power. I got to fine tune it on the way home.

It still has a few bugs. The slide room switch had bad contacts so I will have to take it to the manufacturer to get it fixed. After I got it home, I saw some bubbles on the side of the roof and there was a tear in the roof where it comes together at the roof and sidwewall. Not real happy about that. I did not see that with the early morning sun light shinning on it. I guess I will call the dealership on Monday about that one. All aside, i cant wait to get my new rig on the road and to a local campground for our maiden camping trip. Will stay close to home until we become comfortable with setting up and operating our new rig. I did learn that my wife is better at backing up our truck and conecting to the king pin than I am. Took her two tries. I think i was at a disadvantage with the misadjusted hitch. LOL Still, I'm glad to have my new toy and will post pics as soon as i take some. Will let you all know how the maiden voyage went.

Don W.
2002 Chevy 2500HD D/A CCLB
2004 Jazz XL 3100Rl

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2004, 08:18 PM   #2

We finally took delivery on our new 2004 Jazz XL 3100RL on Friday. That ended up being an all day affair. Got to the dealer at 11:30am for our appointment and the delivery guy rushed us through the inspection and showing us how the systems worked. I will be spending time reading the owners manual. The little things that we pointed out that needed to be fixed had not been done, so the technicians were hustling to get them fixed. My fifth wheel hitch was set two inches to low and the delivery guy was trying hard to get my TV and the 5er to hook up with the trailer being nose down. The Reese 20K hitch would not lock up so he told me to drive it off the lot and find some tools to adjust it. I looked at him like he was crazy and said for the charged cost for the delivery inspection they could get a technician to come over and adjust it.

When it was said and done at the end of the day, it was one of the technicians who was the most helpful. He made sure my wife and I had our new rig hooked together properly. He explained how the hitch worked, made sure we did a pull test and then checked all of the lights. He even took a look at our brake controller and leveled it and set the initial brake power. I got to fine tune it on the way home.

It still has a few bugs. The slide room switch had bad contacts so I will have to take it to the manufacturer to get it fixed. After I got it home, I saw some bubbles on the side of the roof and there was a tear in the roof where it comes together at the roof and sidwewall. Not real happy about that. I did not see that with the early morning sun light shinning on it. I guess I will call the dealership on Monday about that one. All aside, i cant wait to get my new rig on the road and to a local campground for our maiden camping trip. Will stay close to home until we become comfortable with setting up and operating our new rig. I did learn that my wife is better at backing up our truck and conecting to the king pin than I am. Took her two tries. I think i was at a disadvantage with the misadjusted hitch. LOL Still, I'm glad to have my new toy and will post pics as soon as i take some. Will let you all know how the maiden voyage went.

Don W.
2002 Chevy 2500HD D/A CCLB
2004 Jazz XL 3100Rl

Old 08-01-2004, 02:50 PM   #3

It's always hectic when you pick up a new unit. I had never trailed a fiver before having rv'd in a 33' MH for a few years. There are so many systems and things to think about that it tends to become a blur. I promptly skinned a tree and ripped my roof on my trip home. You'll find any number of things wrong with the unit on your first overnight trip. Make notes and then call your dealer to get them taken care of. I never regretted switching to the fifth wheel from the MH. We spend 4 to 5 months in our unit and it is comfortable as an old shoe....Have fun and enjoy this great country and don't be afraid to use the red roads on the map as they are the real America.

We're Dick and Jane,no spot only Lilly Beagle
hmsbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:31 PM   #4

I'm glad that we were not alone. We took delivery at Giant RV in Corona CA. What a mess. They were over a hour late getting to us, we had a 8am appointment. We took delivery of our 38' Weekend Warrior 5er and they hadn't done anything that they were paid to do. Then when the main door wouldn't lock right, I asked that they fix it, the Tech started drilling holes when I stopped him and asked why he was doing that, he didn't know. I'll never see them again. When I was on the first trip, I was lucky that my lady was behind me. She noted that the turn signals were reversed. One of several stupid mistakes by WW. I fixed all of it because Giant woundn't help out. Lots of lip service.

2006 Ford King Ranch F350DW 4X4 w/Towpac 6.0
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #5

Thanks CampALot for the info on the sterio. On our second trip out, the sterio started skipping when CD's were being played. I made a list of the things that needed fixing and called our dealership in Colton, Ca. that we bought our rig from. Of course they could not get us in til mid December. Our second trip was in mid September. We took our fiver to a local dealer in Banning and they got us in right away. Of course it took them two months to fix it and get it back to us. In the meantime, we had a bad rain/snow storm and they had left the front bedroom vent open. Soaked the bed. They did make good on the damages they caused. When it comes to getting things fixed, a good service department is hard to find. I dont think I will go back to Giant either. I did find out from Thor that they are no longer making the Jazz XL. The line was discontinued for 2005.

I know of another dealership nearby, whos name is identical to a well known off road racer, that tried to screw a friend of ours when they purchased a new Raptor toyhauler. They saw on at the Pomona RV show and decided to buy it. That dealership then tried to do a bait and switch on them and deliverd a unit that did not have the same features that they thought they were getting. They went round and round with the dealership and finally got what they had put money down on. Then the dealership called and said that the financing deal was not going to work and they needed more money. Then the lender tried to jump up the interest rate. They ended up telling the dealership that they wanted their money back and bugger off on the deal. In the end they got what they wanted.

You never know, got to be careful with dealerships. Some are very good and have earned their good reputations. Some are worse than used car lots. I think that I am going to learn as much as I can about my fiver and try and start doing some of my own repairs. I wish RVSA had a training academy in Southern California. One could make a fortune doing quality and honest rapairs and service calls. I do love my Jazz. It is a great fiver.