Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #1

05 Mobile Suites, Lippert hydraulic stabilizers

OK citizens of the 5th wheel world, I need some help and I'm certain someone on this forum has the answers I seek. 2005 MS 36TK3

My off door (drivers side if you prefer) stabilizer started dropping of its own accord. I did a bunch of research on the MS forum (which has now been off line for a week or more) and talked with Lippert CS and concluded that I needed either a new valve at the stabilizer or a new stabilizer. I'm a decent shade tree guy and was confident I could change the valve but wasn't sure I could do it without getting a hydraulic shower. And, I am not a welder which would be required to change the jack. So i decided to follow Lipperts advice and go to a Lippert service center.

On the first of May I dropped the MS at Camping World. I won't say which one yet as we may still work the problem out. 27 days, 2 replacement valves and selenoids and 600 plus American dollars later I picked up the MS and discovered that I couldn't get out of the lot without chaining the stabilizers up. Just like when I dropped it off. Needless to say we had a long discussion and I did manage to get my bill adjusted.

So, has anyone had the same stabilizer experience and how did you repair it. I'm thinking the problem has to be the stabilizer. I know there is a test CW should have done and didn't, i think it goes like this: take all pressure off the system, remove the input hose at the stabilizer and press the retract button. If fluid runs out the input hole the stabilizer has failed, if not it's a valve somewhere. I'm not sure which is the input hose and I still don't want a hydraulic shower so I haven't tried that. I'm tempted to just order the parts and take it to a local welder and install a new stabilizer.

OK, open for comnments and suggestions. Thanks for your time
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #2

Stanley.
If you don't get any answers here, try the 5thwheelsforums.com----that one supercedes the SOITC site and there are some older owners there

5thWheelForums.com

I have the same trailer, but never had that problem so can't help. However, saying Lippert and Camping World in the same sentence can never be good....

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #3

Sean it on the front landing gear of a MS 2 years ago. The owner was on his way home and had to stop and lift it hydraulically when it was low.
Hydralicaly the problem could be dirt stuck in the valve, bad seal at valve or cylinder. Dirt could move away but will still be in the system and may cause other problem. Trouble shooting hydraulics is no fun and very messy.
Slide cylinders can have seapage and still serve for a long time. But on jacks the system has to be perfect and in my experience it does not take much to be problematic on stationary service. For that reason I have no interest in hydraulic stabilizers.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #4

Any jack system can be problematic. I have had a CW experience l would wish on no one. They will never get my trl into one of thier bays again .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
All stabilizers are two way hydraulic cylinders. The internal part of the ram has o-rings on the piston end working similarly to how rings work on an engine cylinder to prevent blow by or in hydraulic world seepage from the pressurized side to the unpressurized side. So your problem most likely lies in the stabilizer. I would believe that if you could contact Lippert and talk to someone who knows WTH they are talking about that the stabilizer can be taken apart and have new o-rings put in. This is done all the time in the construction and farming industries. Hydraulic cylinders are too pricey to just throw away and replace with new when it is a simple matter to fix.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
All stabilizers are two way hydraulic cylinders. The internal part of the ram has o-rings on the piston end working similarly to how rings work on an engine cylinder to prevent blow by or in hydraulic world seepage from the pressurized side to the unpressurized side. So your problem most likely lies in the stabilizer. I would believe that if you could contact Lippert and talk to someone who knows WTH they are talking about that the stabilizer can be taken apart and have new o-rings put in. This is done all the time in the construction and farming industries. Hydraulic cylinders are too pricey to just throw away and replace with new when it is a simple matter to fix.
Thanks. It seems that I have one of the two O rings failed, the stabilizer holds good for days when down. Lippert claims they are not serviceable and I have no way to see what the actual unit looks like as it is inside a housing. One would think though that anything that can be assembled can be un-assembled, repaired and reassembled. Just a matter of finding the right guy I guess.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:02 AM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
Yes, I would get a young very knowledgeable guy to look at it very closely. There has to be some way to disassemble and then reassemble. I say a young guy as he needs to be under the trailer looking up and this can become difficult on us older guys. Needs very good eyesight too. I would bet 100 bucks this thing can be fixed cheap. O-rings come in all sizes so they are easy to find. Biggest cost will be the labor. Good luck.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

The suggestion that you post this issue on the 5th wheel forum is the best idea. There were some of these problems on the older Drv's. We had a 2007 Drv Select Suite that did the same thing. Both internal rams were replaced and solved the issue. They are not easy to change out. Get some info from actual Drv owners.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #9

I am having the same problem with my Lippert six point leveling system. Front end of camper drops when parked or the jacks drop while driving on the road.

There is a RV repair shop in Indiana, Roberts Quality RV, that specializes in upgrading the Lippert leveling system jacks. He will replace the seals inside the cylinders with heavy duty seals and replace the pistons with a better design. He is well known for giving excellent service and for his knowledge of the Lippert jacks. His number is 812-655-2583. He has a web site at: http://www.robertsqualityrv.comCall
Send SMS
Call from mobile
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
2021 RAM 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans, 4:10 differential
2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 replaced by 2021 DRV
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Isn't it sad when a shop can "specialize in upgrading the Lippert leveling system jacks"
One would think with the cost of this option, best components would be utilized.

psaint,
I seem to remember you have had several problems with your MS--got 'em all fixed now?

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Isn't it sad when a shop can "specialize in upgrading the Lippert leveling system jacks"
One would think with the cost of this option, best components would be utilized.

psaint,
I seem to remember you have had several problems with your MS--got 'em all fixed now?

Joe
As with many manufacturers Lippert uses the least they can get by with. The repair shop I mentioned told me that about 2 years ago Lippert changed the system and is having fewer problems. My '13 must have been one of the last before the change. I'm set up for the summer with a king pin stabilizer helping support the front jacks and it's working so far. I will be going to IN in the fall for a fix.

I did have problems with the Schwintec bedroom slide out, went to DRV for a fix on their dime. When they installed the rear motor they had a wire in the way that broke a few weeks later. DRV sent me another motor which I replaced myself and it's working so far though we do have our fingers crossed every time we move it in or out.
2021 RAM 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans, 4:10 differential
2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 replaced by 2021 DRV
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote