Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #1

Smile 06 Silverado 2500HD Short bed, 97 27'? Starcraft 5th Wheel Shimera Need Slider?

We just purchased a 2006 Chevy Sliverado 2500HD 4x4 short bed pickup truck. (Love it! Diesel and all! :0) It even came with crinkled C posts where the past owner hit it on both sides with a 5ver!
We bought a 1997 250RK Starcraft Shimera. We were talked into buying the accompanying 5th wheel hitch, (Reese) for $300. Model #30026. (Not too sure it was such a good deal. It came with the rails but not any bolts). Thinking of selling it as we are thinking of using a different hitch. It comes with some sort of glued on pad?
My son-in-law has a gooseneck hitch that flips over when not in use so that there aren't any rails left in the way. The company that makes this hitch, (B&W), also sells a "companion hitch" that will allow the hitch to pull the 5ver. We own a 2004 Winnebago Minnie 31' MH, but wanted a 2nd camper for our 4 married children to be able to use. (We have 6 children, 2 at home).
We have ordered the flip-over type hitch, (B&W), and the companion type hitch and the truck is do to go in for it's operation this week sometime. BUT I would like to know if we need a slider type hitch? My son-in-law and my DH both tell me that it will be just fine they will just have to be careful when backing up and turning. Are they right? I am SURE that after I have posted about our truck coming with crinkles in the C posts that someone will point out ...See? You NEED a slider and that is why!... But does anyone agree with my DH and DS-I-L?
This having been said ... when we cut open our truck for the turnover hitch, and add the companion hitch .. is it a done deal and no slider can be attached? Or if MY thoughts that a slider is really needed come true, (hope I'm wrong!), can one just be added?
Thank you for any and all responses.
Sixkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I'm a satisfied user of the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch with the Companion 5th wheel hitch, but I have always used it in long bed trucks where cab clearance isn't a problem.

In your case, you're likely going to have posters tell you that you don't need a slider - and you really don't UNTIL you find yourself in that unanticipated tight situation where you find out that you do!!! (Ref the crunched C-pillars.) My point is that I don't know of anyone who can tell you with absolute certainty that you'll have sufficient clearance with a non-sliding hitch such as the B&W. It depends where the gooseneck hitch is installed relative to the rear axle centerline and how far back you have the Companion 5th wheel hitch adjusted in its frame. Even then, it MAY not be enough.

Good luck.....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #3

Thanks Rusty! Do you happen to know if B&W makes a slider that would also attach to the turnoverball and companion hitches?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #4

(Just found out that our 1997 250K Starcraft shimera is a 25ft 11 inch! (Not a 27ft!!) Opps!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Not that I'm aware of, but you might want to give 'em a call or drop 'em an e-mail. B&W.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #6

Thank you!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #7

I'd say in most instance you won't need one. BUT if it were me I'd purchase the slider now and be done with it, vs wish you had purchased it later. We pull a 2008 Copper Canyon 5th wheel with a 2009 6-pack F350 short box. The trailer has an extended pin box, but just to be sure when backing in the driveway, manuvering around camp ect I slide the hitch back jus in case I turn shorter than anticipated.. I also have a rack behind the cab for lights antennas ect, so my clearence is less than most with a short box. An auto slider would be the best bet then you'd never have to worry about it, they aren't cheap, but fixing the cab/trailer from a "collision" isn't either.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #8

I have the D'max SB + Companion hitch setup and have shoehorned the 35' 5er onto sites that are tight for a 25' tag-a-long, but I needed the DW for a spotter to watch the clearance between the cab and trailer nose and patient neighbors that didn't mind my intrusions on their sites (it's a karma thing). It's a trade-off I accept for the capability to pull the TH on the weekends and the gooseneck trailer for work. The necessity of a slider depends on the level of risk you're willing to accept, as long as the distance between the center of the hitch and the cab is less than 1/2 the width of the trailer, geometry will not be your friend.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #9

I am not a veteran at pulling, backing, turning so with my limited knowledge and wanting to be safe I did not damage my short bed; I went with the pullrite superglide. Oh my you will not get over how easy it is to pull, back, turn, park maneuver or whatever else you need to do. I just did a 1300 mile trip and I will tell you I put the hitch to the test and every single time I was in a tight spot, it came through with flying colors. If you want to soak the cash into it, I strongly suggest getting one like it or a competitor like it. Love mine. I know my comment does not really help you with your fit and what you are trying to do, but if you want peace of mind with no contemplation for damage, go with a slider for sure.
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote