Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #15

A 1141/1156 will draw over 1 amp of current. The equivalent LED will draw .1 amp.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #16

I have replaced all of mine from ebay. Be careful of the kelvin color, G24 replacement for halogen was $2.08 delivered. Also non polarity sensitive. Cannot tell the difference.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
I posted in ( Boondocking) Title, LED that I like. Not expensive white color. Bought on E-Bay
+1 on E-Bay shopping.
I got all the lights changed out and we could
not be happier with the LED's.
They also run a lot cooler too.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the amount of time that any one fixture gets used I'll just stick with the incadescents. Can't justify the cost of the LED's.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #19

I got mine direct from China at a substantial savings. If you can wait a couple months to get them and know what you are looking for, you can save a bunch of money. I only dry camp and need to conserve battery power.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
just got 10 1156 style with 30 leds per light on ebay .love them no big draw on batts. anymore. these came in a 10 pack for $21.95 .it takes a long time to get threw all the choices .but well worth the time. go to 12v led lights on ebay

dan & cathy 07 36' fleetwood terra lx love that boondocking!
teera travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
X2 on the 10 pack from ebay, I just got some with 18 of the flat LEDs in warm white. Plenty of light, little heat and only ~$5.50 each. Got some of the ones with 30 LEDs a few years ago for my truck camper and they're still going strong.

The newer flat LEDs seem to put our more light.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #22

The 1156 ones I got had the flat LEDs all around it. I Ebay'd some chrome tape and covered the white reflector on all my lights. Slightly more light output. The best ones are the ones that have all the flat LEDs on one side.

The flat LEDs are called SMD, Surface Mount Diode.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #23

I switched and wasn't really impressed. Don't boondock, so saving a little battery isn't a concern. Just didn't like the white light.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Make sure you get "warm white" very natural light. However if you don't boondock there is little benefit.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
LEDs are not for everyone. From a purely cost perspective it's probably a wash, though we can probably expect prices to come down over time.

LEDs strengths are:
  • They produce good light. You can get a variety of light 'temperatrures' and use them different places for different uses. Reading may require bright white light, while ambient lighting might need a more yellowish color.
  • They produce this light using a LOT less power. This means for those of us that boondock and depend heavily on batteries, they are a godsend. You can burn an LED 10x as long as a standard incandescent on a given amount of battery power.
  • They produce less heat. Again, if you are boondocking and you want to stay cool, this means a lot. You have to PAY to run your AC to overcome the heat your lighting produces. And if you don't want to run your AC, lighting can make a noticable difference in your interior temperature. (this can be a CON if you cold-weather camp, but you can make heat a lot more efficiently than using your lights)
  • They last longer. Face it, changing bulbs can be a hassle. Why change bulbs every year when you can do it once and last several years. Time you spend changing bulbs is better spent sipping a nice cocktail out under the awning.
  • They pack a lot of lighting power into a tiny package. You will be able to illuminate places you may not have been able to before. Somewhere I saw wood trim pieces with tiny led lights embedded like rope lights for use under cabinets.
So, you won't necessarily save any MONEY switching to LED, but you'll save power, time, and make less heat with them.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
One other item that makes LEDS better... with less amps to run the lights the on/off switches last a lot longer!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
1156 to LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The 1156 ones I got had the flat LEDs all around it. I Ebay'd some chrome tape and covered the white reflector on all my lights. Slightly more light output. The best ones are the ones that have all the flat LEDs on one side.

The flat LEDs are called SMD, Surface Mount Diode.
Even after cleaning & polishing my square red stop-turn-tail lights have always appeared dim. I used double sided thin sponge tape in the corners and household aluminum foil behind my 1156 or LED bulbs to make them appear brighter. Don't worry if it is slightly crinkled, that gives it more reflective surface.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
First off, I am a MAJOR believer in LED replacements for both incandescent and fluorescent bulbs. Secondly, I like to boondock so every bit of power savings helps.

Color temperature (Warm White, Cool White, Brite White, etc) will be a major factor in determining whether you like or hat LEDs try them all. I like the Warm White versions at around 3200K (Kelvin) color temperature as they look the closest to incandescent and halogen and give off a warmer light.

I wrote an article about this for the RV Newsletter, you can read all about it at:

WanderMan: And The Lord Said..."Let There Be Low Power Light"

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote