Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

1141's 1156 LED vs Regular incandecents

I tried to check other forums for a thread on this. Was wondering if any of you have swaped out your 12 Volt bulbs for the new LED type.

Did you see a world of difference? Asking for any Pros/Cons?

They seem pretty expensive. The RV dealer near me is selling them for $24 and I think the wattage was 20 watts.

What are the chances they last compared to price you pay?

I can pick up a case for the old incandecents for $1 a bulb on the net. It seems like I am getting anywhere from a year to maybe 2 years on the regualr type. The new ones I think have a 7 year life.

Even if I paid $2.00 per bulb on the old ones and replaced it every year I am only talking $14.00 total over the time span. Not sure which is the better way to go? I guess the brightness must really be the difference, but then again I have never used the LED's so if you have tell me all about it.

My eyesight is not what it use to be so I am always looking for brighter lighting.

If any of you have a suggestion where to pick these puppies up for the best bargan price, I am all ears....

OR

Should I not waste my time. Fill me in....

Thanks.
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #2

I have replaced almost all of my incandescents with LEDs and will never go back, no matter how much cheaper it would be. We really like the puck light replacements.
However, because of the expense involved, you should buy only one or two and try them out. There are also shades of white to be aware of...
Lots of places on the internet to buy for much less cost than than an RV supply house. www.superbrightleds.com is one.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #3

Same here, we also have replaced most of our bulbs with LEDs and are very pleased.
The LEDs run much cooler and provide good light.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #4

Thank you. I will research the link and thanks to both of you for a speedy reply.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #5

Is not the big point of the LED to lower electrical demand and allow longer boondocking?
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've tried to go to the LED's but my wife hates the light color of them and complains so back to the old power hogs! I even tried leaving three regular bulbs in and only replacing one. Still no go!!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here is an older discussion.. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/led-r...bs-110329.html

And another.. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/inte...nt-114826.html

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've tried to go to the LED's but my wife hates the light color of them and complains so back to the old power hogs! I even tried leaving three regular bulbs in and only replacing one. Still no go!!!
You can please her and you by finding LEDS that have the same color.

3000-3500k will give you what you probably have now.

6000-6500k will give you a daylight color.

I used a combination of both to give us what we want. The 3000-3500k are in the bedroom. The daylight ones are in the reading areas.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tried the LED brake and tail lights.

Wouldn't work unless I added a resistor into the circuit.

Decided against them as that would be just one more point of failure.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

I have begun the process of replacing all of my lights with LED's.

Pros: No Heat, Less power consumption, Bright white light.

Cons: Much higher cost, Bright white light

I put the bright white light as both a pro and a con. The light output seems less with the LED because of the different color of light but it is usually really close to the incandescent bulb. It is not a warm yellow of a standard bulb. We like the color and find it easy on the eyes and good to read by. Others would disagree. It boils down to a personal choice that only you can make.

We dry camp a lot and I have found that my batteries last much longer with the LED's. As for the cost, shop around. I have seen 1141 bulbs as high as $24 each and as low a $10 a pair. I suspect that all are made in China and are the same bulbs. I have one that I paid $15 from a "RV Supply Store" and a pair that I paid $10 including shipping from China. I put them all on the table and could not tell them apart. They worked exactly the same in the light fixture and I have not had a performance problem yet. So buyer beware and shop around if you can get them a little cheaper then 2 for 1 you can afford to have acouple of spares in case one doesn't last as long.
ChallengerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #11

I posted in ( Boondocking) Title, LED that I like. Not expensive white color. Bought on E-Bay
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #12

Okay I am going to try the ones I can find on ebay. I will try a few, see how they go and if I have good success I will swap out the rest. Thanks for the advice all.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You need to be replacing them with "WW" LED's. Something under ~3500k

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
RESISTORS USED WHEN CHANGING TO LED LIGHTS

I'm looking for information on where to buy and how to install resistors for changing to led stop-turn-tail lights on the back of my 1995 F53 to replace the 1156 standard bulbs.

When I changed to the led bulbs I ran into a feed-back problem affecting my cruise control and transmission lock-up converter when I was (not) hooked up to my toad. I simply added a small #53 bulb to each of my taillight wires that run thru my rear storage bays and that corrected the problems.
Thanks, Dwight
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote