Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

12 Volt Breakers for Lippert Slide

I have a 2006 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback LTDTS. I am having trouble with the slides tripping a breaker. The system is a hydro sync by Lippert. The battery is a new deep cycle. The motor is working fine but on the last slide to retract the system pops a breaker.There appears to be 3 breakers and a solenoid I would like to replace all the breakers but they are very hard to find.I called Lippert and they are not available. Does anyone know where I could go to find them.

One more question is does anyone know where I could find the onboard battery charger that keeps the house battery charged when connect to shore power. I would hope it is not under the sealed basement floor .

Thanks in advance
Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #2

My suggestion for the breakers is to try your local auto parts stores. The should have a selection of breakers to choose from, but I would investigate why the breakers keep tripping. I don't know about your charging system.

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

I am not sure either, but I would like to eliminate the possible problem. I am also concerned about the battery. The previous owner put in a new deep cycle battery, but I am very suspicious about the brand and the cranking amps. It indicates full charge with my tester .All the grounds check out. The previous owner said he had always had problems in cold weather but not during the summer....go figure
Old 11-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

I may have a similar issue on the Raptor I just bought. It has two slides, but only one control. They in theory go out together, but smaller one goes out a lot faster and when it hits the end the big one starts going Not sure of the model, but big long hydraulic rams as opposed to motors and gears. On mine it started acting up and stops about halfway through, and if you wait a little while it will start again. Apparently the circuit breaker is tripping and resetting itself when it cools down a bit. It has the little square silver automotive style circuit breakers like you would use on a trailer brake controller installation. I'm not so much concerned with the fact of the breaker itself tripping, as that something is drawing more power than it ought to be and causing it to trip.

This is my first trailer with slides. Everything seems to be lubricated and moving smoothly. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
paz

The first thing I would check are all the wiring connections for the pump motor and switch(es), especially the grounds. A loose connection or a bad ground will have high resistance and will cause the pump motor to draw more current, which will pop the breaker. This will be worse in cold weather because the rubber seals will be stiffer and the hydraulic fluid will have a higher viscosity causing the pump to work even harder.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #6

I wish I had a definite solution. This seems to be a very common problem with all slides hydraulic or electric.My trailer is in storage for the winter, but in the spring this is going to be a problem that goes way. The first thing I am going to do is replace all three breakers and then disconnect every electrical connection to the slides, motors and pumps and clean all the contacts positive and negative and finish with a coating of dialectic grease.

On another forum I read where a guy with a similar problem discovered that the contact inside the breaker was pitted and corroded. That in itself could be the reason for the breaker to trip,kind of like the old distributer points on my 57 Chevy.

The second part of the problem is with the slide itself. There is too much resistance taking the slide in or out.First it's the tubes. I can see scuff marks where the smaller tube slides into the larger one.Second is the gear track.The previous owner had used bearing grease in place of a dry lube and over time the track is rusted and impacted with dry grease and dirt. Another part of the problem is that the original slide had some kind of foil strip fastened under the slide to keep it from damaging the carpet. Some of it is there but most is gone and I can see where the fabric is worn from sliding on the rollers and carpet. This along with the above problems can put a lot of strain on the motors and the pump causing the circuit to overload and trip the breaker.In place of the foil strips I am going to have a metal shop make me some 18 gage stainless steel metal strips about 3 inches wide with a 1 inch leg going up the side of the slide and fastened with counter sunk screws. I got the idea from these two links on the Forrest River Forum

Slide out /Underside wearing - Forest River Forums

Plastic slide strips - Forest River Forums
Old 11-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
The first thing I would check are all the wiring connections for the pump motor and switch(es), especially the grounds. A loose connection or a bad ground will have high resistance and will cause the pump motor to draw more current, which will pop the breaker. This will be worse in cold weather because the rubber seals will be stiffer and the hydraulic fluid will have a higher viscosity causing the pump to work even harder.
Your right the slide problem seems to happen more in cold weather. I talked with a tech at Lippert and asked about the viscosity but there does not seem to be a fluid of lower viscosity. He also said that they recommend a fluid change every three years.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #8

Change the resettable breakers to a 50 amp and the problems go away.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I thought of that but was concerned if the wire size would support the larger breaker??
Old 11-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I had heard this fix before.The only thing about it would be the size of the wire. If it was installed using a wire rated for 30 amps and there was a surge to accommodate a 50 amp draw the wire may cause a fire. Maybe I am just to cautious

Tags
slide, 12 volt