Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2005, 03:10 PM   #1

My Sunny Brook has a 30 amp circuit breaker located in the forward section that is poping with the charger on. The charger reads about 14 volts. After a minit it shuts off the circuit between the charger and battery. The battery voltage is at about 12 volts, maybe slightly below that. The battery alone seems like it doesn't pop the breaker. Am I right in asumming that one of my batteries may be shorted out. I have two golf cart batteries that are about three years old. One more thing, the circuit breaker does heat up before popping. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2005, 03:10 PM   #2

My Sunny Brook has a 30 amp circuit breaker located in the forward section that is poping with the charger on. The charger reads about 14 volts. After a minit it shuts off the circuit between the charger and battery. The battery voltage is at about 12 volts, maybe slightly below that. The battery alone seems like it doesn't pop the breaker. Am I right in asumming that one of my batteries may be shorted out. I have two golf cart batteries that are about three years old. One more thing, the circuit breaker does heat up before popping. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #3

I think you have a bad battery had the same problem when trying to use the front jack it would trip the breaker. What do you mean when you said "The battery alone seems like it doesn't pop the breaker."

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #4

Tom
With the AC unpluged and the circuit breaker is reset. The circuit breaker doesn't trip and the lights in the trailer work just fine, maybe a little dim. At this time we are using the batteries. As soon as I plug in the AC the circuit breaker trips. By the batteries powering the 12 volt circuit OK I think this is a good indication that the wireing is OK. I think the 14 volts that the charger is putting out is OK. And I might add that the 12 volt circuit is OK with the charger supplying the power. It just pops the 30 amp breaker. If it is a good breaker then it is having a big draw put on it and the batteries are the suspected culprit. Do you agree?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #5

Tom
I just noticed that we registered on this forum only a day apart.
Sonny
Old 08-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #6

Sonny
I would check the voltage on each battery and see how close they are maybe one has a bad cell. Your charger can put out about 45 amps and with one bad cell the battery voltage would be about 11.25 if the batteries are charged. The charger would try to bring this up to about 14 volts and if it takes more than 30 amps to do this then pop goes the breaker. I would bet one battery will read about 6.6 volts and the other will be about 4.4 volts. Oh my breaker is auto reset.

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:41 PM   #7

Thanks Tom. I will check it out tomorrow.
Sonny
Old 08-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #8

Put a charger on the batteries ,the converter most times only puts out three amps to the battery charging duty and the rest is for the a/c and other ac appliances. If the battery are bad try to bring them up with a charger and read the voltage as time goes by to see if the battery is charging .If water is needed in the wells add distilled water .Air cond run off is distilled . Skipper entry level over fifty years
Old 08-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #9

Is your plug prongs clean and is the place it plugs in to clean . If you do not know ,un plug clean the male prongs all three and or adapter or plug. if on a binding post trip breaker ,plug in and unplug several times to clean the female contacts. Plug in and turn on breaker. Skipper entry level over fifty years.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #10

Thanks for all of your replies.
The problem started after I unpluged the shore power for a couple of weeks. I did open the 12volt disconnect and thought that would just store the batteries. Wrong ! The slide out bypasses the cut off switch. With that said the brake that holds the room in a position stays energized. We have been building a house and after moving into the new home I didn't have time to fool with the camper and thus let it set idle for awhile. The two golf cart batteries were dead to say the least. The charger is capable of putting out 40 amps. The circuit breaker in the trailer wire between the bats and the power supply is 30 amps. Need I say more? I took the batteries out and charged them about 15 hours and checked them after sitting without the charger overnight and the specific gravity read at the bottom of good. I put the batteries back in and at the last check all was normal. I have the charge wizard and intend to just let them stay hooked and the shore power pluged in. The charge wizard normally does a great job. I will be checking the system from time to time and if I notice any abnormalalities I will advise this forum. Again thanks to all.
Sonny