Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
12 volt disconnect

I have 08 keystone cougar fifth wheel.in the storage area there is red handled 12v disconnect switch that I assumed the purpose of was to shut off inside 12v power while in storage. With mine, regardless of switch position, the interior lights, slides, water pump, etc. Are active. All this is while connected to shore power. Do I have a electrical problem?

Jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #2
If I'm understanding what you're asking properly. If you are connected to another power source it will not disconnect the power. If hooked up to your truck's electric plug or shore power the lights and jacks etc will work because your disconnect only disconnects your batteries in your rv . You can operate the power jacks and slide outs in many units when connected to your vehicles battery even with disconnect off. That's how it worked in all my units but yours could be different. Try the switch when NOT connected to any other power source and it will probably cut off your power. You could also switch off the breakers in your unit's power center and it should eliminate power in your unit if you have an issue with the battery disconnect switch. Hope this helps.

3500 Dodge Ram 6.7
Glacier Peak 5er
Skeetsbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
Thanks a lot! You have answered my question. I never thought about being connected to shore power. I'm sure that if I unplug the rig, everything will be ok. Thanks again.
'01 Dodge Ram 2500, 2wd, V10 auto, 3.55, SB with '08 Keystone Cougar model 311RLS fifth wheel
Jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
The disconnect switch in the basement of my Sandpiper is for the inverter only. Could be the same on yours.

My unit didn't come with a 12 volt disconnect (for some reason) so it is on my to do list.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:53 AM   #5
FWIW the problem with that kind of setup is that you can have your batteries turned off and going flat while you have the 12 VDC system working fine otherwise. Make sure you know which way to push the switch to connect the batteries.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

12 volt