Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

12 Volt/Water pump

Hello Folks
I have a 2012 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel, I bought it when it was a year old and like most Rv's it has its issues. I have worked through most of them, but there is one that haunts me. When I am running off battery power and I turn the water pump on and flow water through the faucet and then turn the faucet off the pump continues to sound like it is running. So after doing some research I went ahead and purchased a new pump and a new battery once the battery level starts going down is when the pump has the issue of not shutting off. From what others have told me is the pump isn't getting the proper electric to get the pump up to a certain pressure to shut the pump off, and I believe this because when I am using a generator or plugged into shore power I have no issues. Also when the faucet is on and the pump is running if I push the battery indicator button it shows empty, when I shut the faucet and pump off the battery will show full or 2/3. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Jason
Jmcmulle2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #2

If you have a Volt/Ohms meter, just see what you battery is holding at when pump is on. Then check what the draw is on your pump. If you don't have a meter, I guess you could pull the battery out of your tow vehicle and swap as a test.
(A meter is very inexpensive)
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Cougar Xlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #3

I believe I did that last year Cougar Xlite now that you mention it. I cant really remember the out come but I want to say the only place that I saw a huge difference is when I pulled the actual pump on/off switch out and checked the voltage at the switch.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If the pump runs fine when plugged in then that would suggest that your converter is supplying enough current. With a new battery you should have ample current as well. As others have said you need to get a meter and check your charge voltage and compare when plugged in and not plugged in.

Plugged in you would have 13-15 VDC.
Not plugged in around 12.5 - 13, depending on the current state of your battery.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

You mean the pump never turns off or it takes longer than normal to prime and turn off? It's normal for the pump to take a few seconds longer on battery power, but it shouldn't be more than 5 or 10 seconds. Do you notice any other problems running things on battery power or just the water pump? How many batteries do you have and how many amps available? What else is running on battery? Maybe you're taxing the battery with other appliances and there's not enough power for everything. You replaced the pump and still the same problem? Then it's probably not the pump unless somehow you got 2 bad pumps. It sounds like a loose wire or that you're drawing too much power.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #6

FaithBowls Yes it takes longer than normal for it to prime and most of the time it wont prime and I have to shut the pump switch off. The water pump seems to be the only issue that I have. I have 1 27 series deep cell battery. The back light is always on on the stereo system, LP monitor, fridge igniter, hot water tank igniter, all interior lights have been changed to LED. I did replace the pump and the battery. I will have to check the wiring. About a month ago I was out boondocking and ran the furnace all night off from the battery with no issues except for the water pump.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

If you can run the furnace all night, you should have enough power. Do the lights dim when the pump runs? I'd say take off the little black strainer on the pump and see if that fixes it. Those little filters cause priming problems.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #8

Check the voltage at the battery. It really sounds like a low line issue. You won't know unless you measure it!
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In case you don't already have copy, here's a battery charge table. You really never want to let an acid/lead battery drop below the 50% or 12.0 volt level.

As another poster stated you may have a bad connection in that circuit. Another possibility, but I think unlikely is that the wire size to the pump maybe too small of a gauge. This would cause a voltage drop. If you want, test the voltage at the pump's fuse and again at the pump. If you see a difference on a typical voltmeter you have a wire problem and/or a loose connection(s) in that circuit. To solve many RV electrical issues you really need to carry a simple multimeter/voltmter to get usefull data. Otherwise you wind up throwing money around in a shotgun approach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, water, water pump