Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 05:42 AM   #1

12v issue

2010 kz spree 305bhs 5er

I'm having an issue plugged in on shore power. The lights dim and brighten randomly. The furnace fan also speeds up and slows down when it happens. It's like it's going back and forth between 110 and 12v but the 110 stuff isn't effected. The tv, micorwave, ECT acts normal. Seems a few years ago I had a similar type issue and it ended up being a 30 amp breaker that went to the front jacks. It wasnt just a normal breaker but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called but common to go out. I'm going to start with that. So my questions are can someone help me with what that breaker is called and if it's not that where would I go next?
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The issue could also be the batteries. They should be tested.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That is almost always a battery issue. Poor battery condition causes the converter/charger to cycle to high voltage trying to get the charger up, brightening lights and speeding fans. Then it cuts back to more normal voltage and you see a dimming of lights and lower fan speeds. The process repeats ad nauseum.

Lack of water in the battery electrolyte is a possibility that can be remedied. Otherwise, it's probably time for new battery(s).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

Forgot to put that...battery was replaced this summer. The lights flicker 2-3 times a second and sometimes will stay dim for 10-15 seconds before going back to normal.. The brightness looks like it's going back and forth between 12v and 110
Old 11-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
Forgot to put that...battery was replaced this summer. The lights flicker 2-3 times a second and sometimes will stay dim for 10-15 seconds before going back to normal.. The brightness looks like it's going back and forth between 12v and 110
Try to put a digital volt meter on a circuit when the lights dim and I'll bet you find a substantial drop in voltage. Your 110v circuit has nothing to do with the lights other than keep the batteries charged. The lights are totally 12v. The fluctuations are probably the charger cycling as Gary said.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I'm not familiar with your rig, but I think most rigs use 12v for all the lighting.

So it's a new battery, but have you checked it?
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #7

When connected to shore power the converter is supplying the DC System and charging/maintaining battery

Your converter is failing...........
WIth battery POS cable disconnected measure the converter DC Output. Should be 13.2V MINIMUM and Steady
If lower or fluctuating....converter capacitor(s) are bad

That 30A breaker for jacks....that is what it is called a DC circuit Breaker (get them at Auto Parts Stores)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #8

I guess I'm not good at explaining haha. I know the lights and stuff are 12v. I guess what I mean is switching from battery supply to converter supply and not 12v to 110.

I'll check that converter output when I'm there next weekend. Hopefully I can get 2 more weekends out of it. I really do think that converter is failing. This isn't the first time it's acted funky and I've changed batteries twice since the first time it acted up. I also noticed the 110 acting funny earlier this spring. I was hoping it was that breaker but my gut tells me that's not it. Seems when that went bad last time lights would shut completely off.
I noticed it really doing it when that 12v load changed. Say the furnace was running and kicked off it would flicker a couple times and dim for a few seconds then go back to normal. I'll test that battery but I really think the converter is the culprit. Now I have to figure out how to go about ordering and installing a new converter I guess if battery tests fine. Any suggestions on a converter brand?
Old 11-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Progressive Dynamics makes one of the better converter and charger combinations with 4-stage battery charging.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

It could be a neutral issue with the 120v incoming power.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #11

Replacement .......
Would be helpful if you would post Brand/Model of current converter

Having to change out batteries so frequently is because converter is failing/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #12

ALL OEM interior lighting operates from the 12VDC system! Forget about 120AC, it only powers the batter charger(which can be faulty), which charges the batteries. New batteries can fail, that's why they have warranties.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
It could be a neutral issue with the 120v incoming power.
I thought about that but ruled it out. It's done it at 2 different outlets where I keep my camper during hunting season and my buddy has plugged into both without issue.
Last year was the first time I noticed it and I actually noticed it first when no battery was hooked up. I then put the battery back in it and it still done it.
I appreciate everyone's responses and if I didn't respond to you directly it's not because I'm not listening to your thoughts an advice. Just trying to be more specific in certain areas. I'm going down today to look at it and get paperwork out of it. I'm going to test battery and test output from converter. I really think that converter is failing but I'll check the things I can first. Hopefully I can test while it's doing it to give me a better idea of what's happening but if you've ever worked on an intermittent electrical problem you know it never does it when you want it to.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #14

Your issue could be the converter failing by kicking out and in, and that would give you a slight dimming of the lights, as long as the battery is good. With a bad battery it would show more dimming.

But, before condemning it, I would elemenate any chance of a short circuit causing an automatic circuit breaker to kick in and out.

Not sure if and where they may be, but if one is kicking in and out, it, and the wire leading away from it, will get warm while the dimming is happening. Its worth a look and feel on the wiring to see if that's the issue.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote