Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #15

I forgot, the coffee maker is on a timer, sometimes. But doesn't that run off shore power? It's on a GFCI outlet, that has a breaker, not a fuse.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #16

Ok, so to check all the lights etc that are on this fuse, in order to re install a new fuse, do I need to disconnect the battery?

Sorry if my questions seem to be rather dumb, but I have no electric knowledge or experience, and quite frankly, it scares the hell out of me. We had an electrical fire in our house when I was a child, never got over it I guess. Even skittish about jumping a vehicle.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #17

You will make more arcs and sparks disconnecting the battery. I'd just push in the fuse. 12 VDC will not hurt you.

The coffee maker should be on a totally separate circuit from your lights. Normally they run on 120 VAC so different fuse or breaker.

It sounds like something is happening at night to cause the circuit to draw more power. That is why the first comment was to check the bed and make sure the wires were not run in a way that you laying on the mattress did not cause them to rub together.

If I was getting noise inside the box where the fuses are I would open it up to see what was going on. It sounds like either damage or a loose connection. IMHO you need an electrician or a friend that understands electrical work. If you find one also get a low cost Digital Multi Meter and have them show you how to use it.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #18

ok, I'll grit my teeth and push that fuse in.

I did check beneath the storage under the bed, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

I do have a multimeter, but barely understand how it operates.

Funny how I've survived all these years living on my own in an rv but I've never had any electrical issues.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
You will make more arcs and sparks disconnecting the battery. I'd just push in the fuse. 12 VDC will not hurt you.

The coffee maker should be on a totally separate circuit from your lights. Normally they run on 120 VAC so different fuse or breaker.

It sounds like something is happening at night to cause the circuit to draw more power. That is why the first comment was to check the bed and make sure the wires were not run in a way that you laying on the mattress did not cause them to rub together.

If I was getting noise inside the box where the fuses are I would open it up to see what was going on. It sounds like either damage or a loose connection. IMHO you need an electrician or a friend that understands electrical work. If you find one also get a low cost Digital Multi Meter and have them show you how to use it.
Ok, shoved the fuse in regardless of sparking.
The light fixtures in the living area and dining area, as well as the storage compartments do not light, but the one in the bedroom works.The bulbs have all been replaced so that is not an issue.

Now I am totally lost, more than before.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #20

So now I'm thinking it could be an issue with the panel?? Had it serviced last year, paid quite a small fortune, not looking forward to another huge bill.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #21

There should not be any noises inside any electrical box other than maybe a fan if it is tied into your converter. If you have noise you have a problem. I wonder if you had a mouse decide it was a nice place to set up housekeeping and nibble some insulation for bedding. I would dig into it.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #22
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Time to disconnect shoreline, take pictures of the battery cables and then disconnect them.

That panel may have some issues behind it. Could be as simple as loose wires or as suggested, some resident engineers. They may be moving about at night and causing the intermittent problem.

No fuse panel should crackle. Getting a spark on the ends of a fuse is fine but no crackling sounds.

Use your nose close to the panel to determine if it smells funny. If you get any hints of strange odors that is a clue.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Gir View Post
I think that is a bit beyond my capabilities, I have never had much to do with electrical issues except to put in a new bulb. Speaking of which, do use the 1141, but they are the type that you push in then turn. Are those the ones you are talking about?
Yes that is the type I am talking about..

As I said, i'd make a test lamp. basicall this is a wedge shaped dash lamp in a license plate lamp socket, got to work on the wires some so they replace a standard blade fuse (It is easier than it sounds but takes some skill)

This lamp basically is a small value self-resetting fuse with indication (if it's lights current is being drawn)

now with all lights off you wiggle wires and such till it flashes/lights/blinks.. That is where the issue is.

Turning on a light in this case, will likely light the lamp though it MIGHT be a bit dimmer.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:34 AM   #24

To me, it sounds like a short somewhere in this 12v DC 15 amp circuit. I experienced this almost identically recently in that I would go to bed with absolutely nothing on in that circuit, but I would wake up with a blown fuse. I too would also see sparks when changing out the fuse even though there should have been zero load (no amps), which also indicated a short. My problem was a pinched wiring under the slide which fed several lights in both the bedroom and basement area, as well as a 12v radio. It also got progressively worse as time went on. It may not be related at all to your slide, and the storm may be coincidental, but I would imagine the effects of a short worsen over time due to the increased resistance in the affected area.

Anyway, here's how I would approach this.

Identify every light or power point which is on this circuit. Remove and inspect every bulb. If anything looks suspect, replace it.

If problem persists, use a multi-meter to check the voltage at each point, starting at the fuse. If you measure 12.5 volts (for example) at the fuse, everything in that circuit should be 12.5 volts. Also check a different fuse for voltage just to see if there's a difference between a known good circuit and this one. When you get to a light or whatever it is where there is a drop in voltage, that may help narrow down where the short exists. If you're lucky, it may be something at one of the lights, so remove it and examine the wiring connections behind it. It's likely though, that everything in that circuit will have a lower voltage going to it.

If you're still coming up short, disconnect shore power, disconnect the battery and pull the 12v distribution panel and make sure all connections are secure. Visually inspect as best as you can.

Good luck!
PointyWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyWombat View Post
To me, it sounds like a short somewhere in this 12v DC 15 amp circuit. I experienced this almost identically recently in that I would go to bed with absolutely nothing on in that circuit, but I would wake up with a blown fuse. I too would also see sparks when changing out the fuse even though there should have been zero load (no amps), which also indicated a short. My problem was a pinched wiring under the slide which fed several lights in both the bedroom and basement area, as well as a 12v radio. It also got progressively worse as time went on. It may not be related at all to your slide, and the storm may be coincidental, but I would imagine the effects of a short worsen over time due to the increased resistance in the affected area.

Anyway, here's how I would approach this.

Identify every light or power point which is on this circuit. Remove and inspect every bulb. If anything looks suspect, replace it.

If problem persists, use a multi-meter to check the voltage at each point, starting at the fuse. If you measure 12.5 volts (for example) at the fuse, everything in that circuit should be 12.5 volts. Also check a different fuse for voltage just to see if there's a difference between a known good circuit and this one. When you get to a light or whatever it is where there is a drop in voltage, that may help narrow down where the short exists. If you're lucky, it may be something at one of the lights, so remove it and examine the wiring connections behind it. It's likely though, that everything in that circuit will have a lower voltage going to it.

If you're still coming up short, disconnect shore power, disconnect the battery and pull the 12v distribution panel and make sure all connections are secure. Visually inspect as best as you can.

Good luck!

My neighbor brought a friend over who is an electrician. He can only work on this issue part time - no charge. He is doing exactly what you just described. It's a long slow process, and I'm learning a lot!

We tested the panel and everything is good there. Followed the "purple" wire till it ran under a cupboard, dismantled the cupboard, lol. From there it ran into the subfloor, then out to the underside of the slide, where it met up with a junction box, then up into the outside wall of the slide. He commented that it's a wonder the wires weren't all cut or pinched at that location.

From there we went to the front cargo hold and found additional "purple wires. He tested them, and all were good, but determined that these wires were all being split off going to individual light fixtures. We disconnected the cargo lights, and went back to the inside fixtures in the slide out. They have been tested, and checked out ok.

So this coming weekend, we will start again, and try to find where the "purple" wire comes back into the slide. He figures that is where the problem is.

No wonder manufacturers won't give out their wiring diagrams, they probably don't have one.

I'll keep you all posted on what we find.

Thank you all so much. I'm actually learning more about how the electrical works and how to operate the multi meter.

Laurie
Old 07-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #26
YC1

3375 - Triplett Fox & Hound Jr 3375 Compact Wire & Cable Tracing Kit with Carrying Case - at the Test Equipment Depot /triplett/images/3375.jpg

Show your electrician friend this tool. Very useful, especially on rv's. They are available on Amazon too. You can chase unseen wires and blown fuses.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #27

Thanks, that's a good little tool. Any idea where it could be purchased in Canada?

Laurie
Old 07-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #28
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Gir View Post
Thanks, that's a good little tool. Any idea where it could be purchased in Canada?

Laurie

This might be naive but does Amazon deliver there? I haven't thought about it before. Several folks have bought one and nothing but good reviews. I don't leave without mine.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=Triplett+3375

Tags
fuse