Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #15

Happy dance! We only worked on the FW one day this weekend, but it was a LONG day, from a little before 8 a.m. until after 8:30 p.m., with a longish break for late lunch and a brief nap (him, not me). We got almost all the flooring down yesterday! There are a few more pieces to go down in the bathroom (along with a new taller porcelain toilet), some pieces to cover a raised area along the sides and front of the bedroom, and trim pieces (stair nosing, shoe molding) throughout. The Allure Ultra looks so GOOD.

There's still a lot of trim and finish work to do, but that will take awhile. Just had to share the photos. Couldn't wait until all the work is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor01LR.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	10450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor02Kitchen.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	10451  

Name:	Floor03Hallway.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	10452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor04BR1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	10453  

Name:	Floor05BR2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	10454  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #16

A couple of photos of the new cabinet hardware. We replaced the old bright shiny gold (polished brass?) handles with antique brass ones. The photos don't really show just how much difference the new hardware makes. The difference is much more striking and the cabinets don't look so cheap now. We chose a leaf theme since this will be our home away from home in the middle of a national forest. We actually liked one with a curly twist in the middle better but didn't think it would be very practical.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hardware01.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	10455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hardware02.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	10456  

Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #17

I hope that the next time I post, it will be photos of the finished project. There are still a few loose ends to tie up, like a new oak headboard, some shelves in cabinets, a new mattress, and supplies. Can hardly wait to be able to make a before/after album because the changes are striking. However, we've made so much progress and the FW is looking so good that I just can't resist sharing before we're done.

First, T has finished installing the molding and trim for the floor so here's a photo of the floor and trim in the bedroom, on the "bump up" and platform at the head of the bed. We used cherry Allure Ultra on the floor and the trim is either oak or pine with pecan wipe-on water-based stain and satin water-based polyurethane.

The bright gold tacky plastic trim bugged me, and more so after we replaced the gold cabinet hardware with antique brass. I thought about removing the trim but that would have exposed pressboard edges so I experimented with camouflaging by painting it. I tried several colors and decided that a partial coat of hammered taupe-y brown might tone things down. It took hours and hours of taping and a few minutes of spraying to accomplish. The trickiest part was masking the narrow curved piece of oak vinyl between two narrow pieces of gold trim on several cabinet ends.

Here are the back cabinets taped.

And after the trim is painted. I didn't want 100% coverage, and it's not even, but the trim fades into the cabinets, which is the effect that I wanted. Worth the time and effort to me.

Closeups:

Bedroom taped:

Bedroom after:

Kitchen before (but the overall effect of the gold hardware and trim isn't as obvious in the photo as it was in reality):

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the kitchen taped, but it was a sight to see since there's a lot of trim. Here's the kitchen after the trim was painted, followed by a closeup. You can't see it in the following photo, but the grill below the frig was sanded and painted a glossy dark brown.

You can see a little bit of the old fabric-covered piece over the door. It had a wide piece of gold plastic at the top that I used for testing paint.

Re-covered the trim on the booth with a soft vinyl that looks like distressed leather. It should wear well, not show dirt, and be easy to clean. Booth cushions will be re-covered with camo fabric in a realistic pattern called Vanish Hybrid.

New entertainment center with 32" flat screen TV and DVD player, plus new Jensen Heavy Duty AM/FM/CD/ipod/weather radio.

Slide, showing new wood trim and medallions. The original boards were covered in wallpaper so the slide wasn't set off. The sofa will be slipcovered in loden twill. New cordless, wandless aluminum miniblinds. The cornices won't go back in. We'll raise the blinds and put a Velcro strap around them when we haul the trailer where it's going to "live". We don't need light blocking or privacy where the trailer is going to be and we don't have to worry about the blinds moving around because it's going to be moved over the road only once. There will be a new two-bulb swing-arm lamp on the wall where the bare wires are now.

Other end of slide

Bathroom (new floor, molding, porcelain toilet, and antique brass accessories, painted trim on right side of cabinet)

Painted mirror over lavatory, added towel ring, fixture will be replaced with antique brass fixture

Re-covered door trim. Can't tell from the photo, but the fabric is a weave of cream and dusty medium green.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #18

It's going to be a week or two before everything is in place for me to take the "after" photos but T made the custom oak headboard this week and I made the camo cushion covers so I'm posting photos of those. Love the headboard!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #19

Wow, you've done and amazing job thus far. Looking forward to the final photos!

mike
trouthound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #20

Trouthound,

Thanks for the compliment. My SO is pretty talented with this sort of stuff.

It's coming together but we're still tying up some loose ends. The slipcover for the couch should be in tomorrow.

Unfortunately, we managed to ruin one of the new blinds when we were wrestling the new mattress (11" pillow top) into place so we're waiting on a replacement to come in.

Once we got the mattress in place and topped with a regular mattress pad and a wool mattress pad, we discovered that the headboard would look better if it were moved up several inches. SO says he's not going to move it, but I hate that the pretty medallion doesn't show when pillows are on the bed so I'm hoping he'll change his mind and move it, although there's not a whole lot of room to move it up.

Need to put the recliners together and put them in place, but I'm going to take a picture of the back without the recliners so it matches the "before" photo, and then with the recliners in place.

Found some neat baskets at Hobby Lobby for 75-80% off.

SO put some wire shelving in the pantry and the long cabinets in the bedroom.

It may be July 4th weekend before I get those photos, but if you can see only one bedroom window at a time, I may just move the blind from one window to the other for photos and take them Thursday afternoon.

liz
Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #21

Are your 7 inch rollers metal? Do they sell nylon rollers where it wouldn't be so hard on the floor? Your project looks terrific! Judy
Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #22

Judy,

The rollers themselves are high-density plastic or something plastic-like.

Thanks for the compliment. I hope to get most of the "after" pictures today but probably won't get them posted until next week.

liz