Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #1

1999 electrical problem

hi, I have a 1999 terry by Fleetwood 5th wheeler. have power to the circuit breakers, but not beyond that. no juice in any of plugins. do have dc power. was given a manual for a 1998. the electrical schematic is different from what I actually have. I can't find the convertor box. or any kind of switch to go from one or the other. I have no generator, just batteries. gas and dc power both work, just no ac power from outlets or anywhere else. can someone please help?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #2

Your going to run out of battery power soon, if there is now power exiting the main 110v circuit breaker panel , then the convertor wont work to charge the battery.
I'm assuming you have checked the power post , for power, and possibility of a tripped breaker there. Have you looked at every outlet to make sure you don't have a tripped GFI somewhere?
Have you manually worked the main breaker , the 30 amp a couple of times, to see if the problem is poor internal contacts ?
Next would be to disconnect the 5er from 110v power and remove the 110v panel cover and test the main breaker with an ohm meter to insure it is completing the circuit. Check that all the wires into the sub circuit breakers are tight. If all the 110 outlets are dead , the main breaker is the most likely cause, unless the power cord looks like it's damaged.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a `99 Fleetwood 5er and the convertor was in a cabinet in the kitchen.

If you have power to the main breaker but not out of the main breaker sure sounds like a bad breaker. as previous poster stated, disconnect shore power and use an ohm meter to check the breaker. With the breaker closed, you should see a short (meter pegged to the right) across the input and output terminals.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, power to the distribution box.. Question: When you open the door that reveals the breakers...Are there also fuses behind that same last door?

If so, make and model of door please and I likely know where your converter is (Directly behind said fuse/breaker panels)

Now: You say you have power to the main breakers... HAVE you metered the branch breakers? Do you have power to them? If not, problem localized, Here is suspect list:
Main breaker(s) have tipped out and are no longer in contact with bus bar(s). - - main breaker(s) tripped, or defective, or bus bar(s) defective.

If you have power to the branch breakers.....

Select a branch. SOME go to a GFCI (usually in bathroom but... not always) and in some rigs there is more than one GFCI.. This often runs several outlets.. Epically patio, kitchen and bath, and dining room.. MAY or may not run other baseboard level outlets. Make sure it has not tripped.

Does the air conditioner work (Test in fan mode if on limited power) Refrigerator, water heater on electric.

NOTE: Many of these devices need 12 volts to operate.. IF your 12 volts is gone (Hook up an external battery charger for a while) they will not work.

Microwave?

Report back for next round of diagnosis.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #5

thanks to all of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes99er View Post
hi, I have a 1999 terry by Fleetwood 5th wheeler. have power to the circuit breakers, but not beyond that. no juice in any of plugins. do have dc power. was given a manual for a 1998. the electrical schematic is different from what I actually have. I can't find the convertor box. or any kind of switch to go from one or the other. I have no generator, just batteries. gas and dc power both work, just no ac power from outlets or anywhere else. can someone please help?
so far still no power from ac outlets. I have shore power, power from the breakers inside the rv, but no power to any outlets. I have found one cfi breaker and it won't reset. will that stop everything from working? keeping the dc going with charger.
took the converter off and tested out ok. really stumped. the wires from the breaker box to the outlets have power, but they don't work. is there another breaker possible to stop all the ac from coming on. I even plugged in the converter with an extension and nothing. everything works with an extension. I've tried all that you folks have suggested and still no power. and I really do appreciate the extensive tips I've been getting. still wondering what could be wrong.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

If the GFI outlet won't reset, then you have a problem somewhere , or a defective GFI. Most RVs the outlets are daisy chained from the GFI, if it is tripped or bad then multiple outlets are out.
Unplug, everything , from all the outlets in the RV, fridge, converter, check everywhere for possible loads downstream from the GFI. Then try to reset; if it does re-set , then one at a time , plug things back in to find out what's tripping it.
I'm a little confused , you say the converter tested ok, but wont work when plugged into an extension cord ? Extension run from the house ?
How was the converter tested?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many of the outlets will be covered by a GFCI. Usually there is one in the bathroom.. And there may be another..

Also, the outlets in many RV's are not what I'd approve of.. They use a variation of a Punch Down connector.. You strip the outer insulation off the wire, leave the black and white insulation on the wires though, Lay the wires over the blades and "Punch them down" by putting the back on.

Not the world's best way to connect.

If you can track the wire to the FIRST outlet, and check for that.. There are usually two screws, back off a whole bunch of turns and you can pull the box out pop the back and check there.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #8

had the converter tested at rv dealer and was ok. yes had an extension from the house running to the converter. it didn't help, but I don't know what it's supposed to do when plugged in anyway. I will try your suggestion and let you know. thank you so much
Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Many of the outlets will be covered by a GFCI. Usually there is one in the bathroom.. And there may be another..

Also, the outlets in many RV's are not what I'd approve of.. They use a variation of a Punch Down connector.. You strip the outer insulation off the wire, leave the black and white insulation on the wires though, Lay the wires over the blades and "Punch them down" by putting the back on.

Not the world's best way to connect.

If you can track the wire to the FIRST outlet, and check for that.. There are usually two screws, back off a whole bunch of turns and you can pull the box out pop the back and check there.
ok, I will try that. thank you. will let you know. thanks again so much
Old 08-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #10

The converter/charger, takes 110 power from the RV and charges the 12v batteries and powers the interior 12v systems. So plugging the C/C into an extension cord , would have only powered up the 12v portion of the RV ; on effect on any 110v system.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #11

still no power

have changed out the gfci's. have power to the plug ins but nothing still works. and new gfci's will not reset. hate to sound so stupid but I can't figure it out. still need help
Old 08-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #12

Ok , I'm scratching my head too.
New GFICs won't reset. and nothing works.
I have to BBQ supper, I'll contemplate while cooking . I'll be back.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"have power to the plug ins but nothing still works".?

I don't understand that statement.

Mike
Old 08-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #14

Location: I travel this great country working on refineries and industrial plants.
I have a 1999 34'Fleetwood Terry 5'er. My converter is under the fridge just inside the grill below the fridge. I have had romex wire that has breaks in it. I mean that I have no complete circuit to my water heater. I had to run another wire for that. If none of your 110's are working I suspect you have a neutral problem. Klein and Fluke make tools to trace circuits much easier. If you aren't used to working with electricity I suggest finding a friend who is. I work with it all day at work and I still have trouble finding wiring solutions. I hope this helps.

Tags
electrical