Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #1

1st year storing a trailer in Florida

Ok...what are the largest pitfalls to overcome? I will set mouse traps but do I need to spray big killer around the unit? Also it is a 37' unit. How many 'damp rid' containers do I need?

The unit will be sitting in the open.

Can the trailer sit for 4 - 5 months and what should I expect to happen in that time period?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I had my last inexpensive fiver for 4 years and my current 2014 Lifestyle higher end fiver going into year 3. Both have been stored within 4 miles of the ocean in 2 different storage lots on gravel, sand surfaces.
I have never done anything other than leaving the roof vents open about an inch to allow off gassing and ventilation - heat to escape.
Never have I had any issue with mold or anything else. If you do not have any leaks, you won't either.
Granted, it doesn't set unused for months but its still in the same environment you are speaking of. I have never used mouse traps or anything else other than ant/roach spray around comprises to the rig such as slide out arms.
I think using damp rid would be useless. In the FL humidity the buckets would be full in less then 10-14 days.
I would you suggest you stuff a beach ball into the pin box area and inflate it to keep wasp and bird nest out.
If all your seals and caulk are good and you leave the roof vents cracked, I thinkyou will be just fine.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

The worst thing storing anything o it in the open on FL is the sun's effect. Pay close attention to your roof caulking.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #4

I have experience in this regard. We stored our 2014 Cougar 313rli in Fl in 2014 to 2015. We had quite a lot of green mold which had to be scrubbed off all of the woodwork. This despite using multiple tubs of damp rid, multiple hanging damp rids, sever
Hanging anti mold substance bags and spraying and wiping down the woodwork with an anti mold agent. It is a fact of life for storing in Florida. Either AC set on 85 or a dehumidifier running all summer would help.
Additionally, we started seeing a puddle of water in the washer dryer cabinet which wasn't too bad. By March, it had become quite bad in heavy rains. I thought it was a leaky clearance light because there was a bad application of the decal on the bulkhead and I thought water was getting in there. After caulking the heck out of the light, the leak only got worse. I called a professional r. Repair guy and he pointed out the problem. A hole in the front cap seam big enough to stick his finger in. He used the special DICOR sealant on the entire front seam and solved the problem. The point here is that just one season of storing a new unit if the Florida heat did this. So take heed, be very faithful in your roof coating maintenance and be prepared to deal with the mold issue by taking every precaution you can think of to prevent damage. I would even buy the sticky floor plastic to cover any hard flooring surface.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You do not want to set mouse traps unless you can check them every few days. A dead mouse will smell to high Heaven.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH347 View Post
I have experience in this regard. We stored our 2014 Cougar 313rli in Fl in 2014 to 2015. We had quite a lot of green mold ..............
I find it interesting that some units get mold and some don't. None of the three FWs I've stored outside in FL have ever molded or mildewed.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
I find it interesting that some units get mold and some don't. None of the three FWs I've stored outside in FL have ever molded or mildewed.
Ditto on that one. I hope he means green mold on the North end of the rig on the Exterior! The only way mold would be inside would be from a water leak and then that would probably turn black.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #8

Not at all. Most of the campers that store their RV's in our camping area, have mold inside every year. The suggestions for storage recommend leaving the roof vents open and inch or so with vent covers. This may be more harm than good but others have stated either way, they get mold.
Now this is not big clumps of mold, but light grey dust type mold that easily cleans off. In the northwest Florida area, this is not only common, but expected unless you have indoor storage or the ability to run the AC or a dehumidifier. Most of the campers have stored their RVs for multiple years as in more than 6-8 years and deal with this every year.

Tags
florida