Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
2 batteries for my 5th wheel

I would like to hook up 2 batteries on my 5th wheel...wondering where I might find these connectors.....will both batteries charge when hooked to TV or Shore line?

Great wife, and traveling companion
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Ext Cab 4X4 6.6 Diesel Duramax, Allison 3:73
2010 Coachmen Northridge 320 RLQ 5ver
32coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Simplest solution is to measure how much wire you need and go to Home Depot and buy it. Also any welding shop can make them up for you at nominal fees.

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Excel Owners Club
Yes both will charge when hooked to tv or shore power too.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
A couple words of caution. If you are talking about adding another 12v battery in paralllel to your existing, be careful. Both batteries need to be balanced. If you add a new one to an existing and they are mismatched or the old one is ready to go bye bye, it will take the new right along with it.

If you are replacing 2 batteries, do yourself a favor and buy two 6v deep cycle (called golf cart) batteries and hook them in series. Much longer lasting, they will take many times more discharge/charge cycles than the so called deep cycle RV/Marine 12v units. And, yes, your converter will charge either setup fine.

2003 Dodge HO 6 speed Laramie Dually, Jordan controller, RDS fuel tank, Air Ride 25K hitch
Carriage 36' fiver, Onan 6500, Prosine 2K inverter, 3 slides, MORyde IS and Kingpin
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
FWIW, Trojan now makes 12V continuous-use batteries for use in RV's, golf carts, boats, etc. You may find this wiring diagram handy: Trojan Battery Company
Battery cables: If you use 6V batteries, the minimum wire size should be 2/0 cable, and then- welding cable is much better than standard battery cable. 12V batteries may use smaller cable, #6 I think.
Here is an excellent battery tutorial: http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
which may be useful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Deep cycle batteries usually will have a screw top terminal. Determine the length you need and ready made cables are available through NAPA.

Tiffin Phaeton 40rh
2016 HD Street Glide
Bill1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
I agree, two new 6's are better then one old and new 12 , or even two new 12's. we had our two 6's installed at lakeshore rv and they even have a custom blow molded box that fits both 6's.
if your interested in the box there number iis 231 788 2040, or Lakeshore RV Dealer: #1 Keystone RVs, Forest River & Heartland RV Dealer, ask for Matt
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
The only thing about charging two batteries is to make sure your converter has a "smart" feature so it will not overcharge the batteries. I believe most recent models would come with this feature, but it's something to check, since if it overcharges the batteries, it's twice as expensive to fix with two batteries.

I run two identical interstate batteries. They run about 99 bucks a piece. They are not top of the line by any means, but they will run the furnace and lights for two days and still be at two dots on my water panel. That's as far down as I've ever taken them.

And yes, definitely make sure they are both balanced. I had two batteries in my old camper I bought a few months apart. Same model, same battery. One was defective though, and took the other one with it. Warranty paid, but it would have been mighty expensive if they hadn't.

Good luck!
2008 Dodge 2500 Diesel | 2010 Montana Mountaineer 36 DBQ
Two adults, two kids, two dogs, a cat, and four slides - full-timing in style!
WindRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #9

Hmm, a balanced battery set ?!? Sorry guys but short of a shorted cell there is no such thing. All batteries put in a string of batteries will equalize depending on the condition of the worst battery. If that battery has a shorted cell no other batteries in the string will charge. I have seen and used 12 volt and 6 volt batteries in the same string, old and new, and even different size batteries and, if you know characteristics of each type of batteries you get some benefit of combinations. All that said, I am in agreement that to help problems from starting early all batteries should be of the same approximate age but I always use what I have first and see what occurs. After checking them every 3 or 4 hours after a few days you will know what has to be bought and was doesn't. Actually combining 12 volt deep cycle and 6 volt golf cart batteries will give you the best of both worlds. The 6 volt batteries give you the very high discharge rates while the 12 volt batteries help the 6 volt recover faster. No matter the string configuration, they will charge up and equalize to the poorest battery condition. Now, this means if you have a real bad battery it will not allow the good battery next to it to charge. That will over time kill the good one. Assuming the battery you currently have is good... adding another battery will be fine. If you dont know, have it load tested and measure the voltage of it fully charged. that will tell you if its a good battery or not.

Batteries are meant to be looked at, refilled with water, and mantained. Not installed and forgotten. I check mine with a volt meter whenever I get a chance and I am using 6 Trojan 6 volt batteries in a string all tied together using series wiring in sets of two tied to each other set using parallel wiring. I always use the largest cable I can find for all my battery wiring needs.You do not want to risk using undersized wiring. So far, the very best option I have found is is 4/0 welding wire with crimped copper lugs that are tin plated.You can buy the wire somewhat inexpensively through a welding supply and then cut it to length at home and crimp on the lugs using a de-sharpened cold chisel and a 2 lb sledge in a home made steel cradle. The heavy duty lugs can be found online. I also use a 3000 watt inverter and run my on board stuff all the time with it not connected to any shore power but I also have 2 converters on line in my trailer. The first, a 55 amp connected to my on board generator, and a 90 amp connected to shore power. Both are Intellipower with built in charge wizard and run a 4 charge rate output. That, in my opinion, is the very heart of your on board battery system. A true 3 or 4 output charging system that keeps your batteries topped off without overcharging them. Without these converters, I would be buying batteries every 2-3 years. These batteries are now 5 years old and doing great. Flooded lead acid batteries are meant to be stored fully charged. Never discharge them under use and then not recharge them. That will kill any battrery. Battery life is clearly dictated by use, storage, and mantenance. Since a trailer battery is rarely used compared to how long it's stored, storage maitenance is key to battery life in a trailer. Get a good mutistage converter and add water regularly. Go to Best Converter or look elswhere on the web for details on converters/ chargers..
-Paul R. Haller-

Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote