Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2" riser for new trucks?

I recently watched a video on RV construction...one of the Forest River models. They pointed out a difference between two difference frames in their plant, showed one just regular I-beam and another with a 2" riser added per customer request. I believe his comment was something along the lines that, the newer trucks have higher beds and/or rails and needed the 2" riser on the RV. Did I hear this right and does it apply to all "new" trucks or just some years / brands? Would all RVs (Manufacturers & Models) need the 2" riser. How do I match these up. If I need the riser, I'd rather get it right the first time.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
The Fords have had the deeper beds/taller sides for a few years. hard to get e fiver level behind one. Not so sure about the Rams. No problems with the GM truck until the 2019 introduction they are going to a deeper bed, too.
Some fivers has adjustments in the suspension to raise the rig in order to level it out when in tow.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:18 AM   #3

2" riser here.

You're correct in doing your own due diligence. Check model specs. etc., the tailgate heights.

I think you'll find all the late model trucks are pretty tall. There are even some 3" risers being offered. Running nose high is more difficult / costly to correct after the fact.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:03 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
What should I measure to determine if I need a riser added or how much? How do I match the truck height to the frame height?
Old 08-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Any help here?
Old 08-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #6

You dont have a truck or an RV how will you know if you need risers or not?

Pick a truck. Pick a rig. Put them together and find out. Risers can be added if needed any time.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
You dont have a truck or an RV how will you know if you need risers or not?

Pick a truck. Pick a rig. Put them together and find out. Risers can be added if needed any time.
I prefer to order the RV to match so I don't have to immediately have it altered. That's the whole point of asking up front. It's called LEARNING. I already know that I intend to purchase the GMC Denali, 350.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
I prefer to order the RV to match so I don't have to immediately have it altered. That's the whole point of asking up front. It's called LEARNING. I already know that I intend to purchase the GMC Denali, 350.
SRW or DRW? Offroad package or not? Air hitch? Air pin box? neither? you going anderson? Goosebox?

too many combos dude - set some things in stone and then we can help. Up until that point its just conjecture.

We've given you a LOT OF INFO over the last year. Get one or the other - truck or trailer, and then you'll be able to make some decisions, and we MAY be able to help you.

Remember, at the end of the day, this forum owes you nothing, and we give you as much info as _we_can_ in our experience. (and hopefully you return the favor to the next round of n00bs)
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
As Graves said. Way too many variables. It might work to have the coach frame modified IF you have the truck and take it to them for measuring. Where they can hook your truck to a similar model unit and take measurements.

I still do not believe that is the best way to go. It is much easier to attach risers to the frame than to remove them. Also you pay and wait extended time for custom frame and IF it is not correct you pay again to correct the frame after you put it with the truck and find out it is not right.

When you want CUSTOM FIT you are risking it buy attempting custom fit on an assembly line.

Get your rigs and with them them both you CUSTOMIZE them together. That is the true sense of the word.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, my plans are to purchase a 2018 or '19 one ton DRW Denali GMC long bed 4x4, but don't know why I would need off road. I'm going to 5 Indiana factory tours in two weeks followed by the Hershey RV Show in September. I'm not purchasing anything before scheduled surgery in October...see how that goes first. If all goes well, we'll be ready to execute in the spring. I appreciate all the prep info...I've learned a lot.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #11

I tried to skin this cat last year when trying to decide on a 5er. I had the truck I knew which hitch I wanted.

Key data points I could get:
- truck bed height
-vertical adjustment of hitch
-vertical adjustment of pinbox
-recommended clearance 5er-truck bed
-pin height of 5er on a level surface

Key data points I could not get:
-how much truck would sag with 5er hooked up
-hitch height when hitch was installed. Not the same as truck bed height+hitch height since hitch is located further in the bed

My rig is currently 2in nose high. There is no way I could have accurately calculated/predicted this outcome.

When I get the time I will install equalizer to do the job
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:41 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
I tried to skin this cat last year when trying to decide on a 5er. I had the truck I knew which hitch I wanted.

Key data points I could get:
- truck bed height
-vertical adjustment of hitch
-vertical adjustment of pinbox
-recommended clearance 5er-truck bed
-pin height of 5er on a level surface

Key data points I could not get:
-how much truck would sag with 5er hooked up
-hitch height when hitch was installed. Not the same as truck bed height+hitch height since hitch is located further in the bed

My rig is currently 2in nose high. There is no way I could have accurately calculated/predicted this outcome.

When I get the time I will install equalizer to do the job
Well, I guess it's not something that can be calculated in advance. But you say your rig is 2" nose high and equalizers, I assume will lift the back of the trailer enough to achieve "level". People add 2" risers to raise the entire trailer and king pin in order to achieve more clearance above the bed rails?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #13

Yes. I intend to use the 2" equalizers to raise the rear of the trailer to make it level when hitched. Note the height if my trailer is 12'6" so I have plenty of room.

To your second point, IF... I needed more bed rail-5er vertical clearance, I could use 3" or 4" equalizers AND increase the hitch height (or drop the pin box lower) to achieve that outcome.

I need to take a closer look before buying the 2" version. Thanks for the reminder.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Just came across this on a website.....
Increasing 5th Wheel Ride Height by Installing Taller Equalizer
Question:
I have a fifth wheel RV with dual Lippert axels of 5200 lbs. each they have 26 springs with a spacing of 33 between axels. The equalizer is 6 wide between holes by 2 high. I wish to increase the clearence between the top of the tires and the camper. Will changing to a taller equalizer, such as a 4 tall or even changing to a Equa_Flex or Joy Rider equalizer do this?
asked by: Roger D
Expert Reply:
Changing your equalizer height by two inches will gain you a slight height increase, but because all the pieces of the suspension (springs and shackles) all move together, you will not get the full 2 inch height increase. The equalizer will be a bit taller, but most of the height difference will be taken up by the springs and shackles, because the height is not being changed at either end where the springs connect to the spring hangers.

Your best bet would be to choose taller spring hangers, which would gain you the additional clearance you are looking for. Going this route will change the height at the equalizer, and at the front and rear spring hanger. I would suggest having a qualified welder who has experience working with trailers install the hangers.

You should make sure that you are not overloading your axles, having a trailer that is too heavy can cause the springs to flatten excessively, leading to clearance problems.

Here's your best option. If your leaf springs are currently mounted under you axles, you can move them to the top of the axle and therefore gain the equivalent of the axle diameter in ride height.