Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2006, 04:38 AM   #1

I hope this is the place to put this post. We bought a 23ft 2002 starcraft starshuttle (toy hauler) brand new from the dealer 4 yrs ago. This trailer has been in for warranty work a couple of times. The major one was they had to strengthen the back sides of the trailer by the ramp because it was twisting and craking the fiberglass.

Well we had noticed the floor warping this year and really started to look in to it. Come to find out the whole floor is rotting, the front of the trailer is rotted right through and the lower side walls are starting also. All the fibergalss is delamenating. We took the rig down to the manufacture in Indiana. (it is out of warranty) and they definatly determined water is leaking in somewhere. (duh!!!) I recieved a call from them yesterday and they said they will go in 50/50 to fix it. They also said just labor alone would be close to $5000. So I am guessing it will cost close to $6000 or more to fix it.(more than a third of what I bought it for) Water is getting in from the front underside of the trailer (they did not say this, this is due to our observation) and causing the water to flow back like a wind tunnel.

Well anyway here is my dilema. I do not think that I should have to pay to fix a 4 yr old trailer that obviously has a manufature's defect. I still owe on the trailer, I can not sell it and no dealer will touch it for a trade in. It is that bad. This trailer has been very well maintained and is covered in the winter.

I am going to call the customer rep's boss to see what else they can do

Any other advise or feedback? Sorry it was so long but that is the jist of it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2006, 04:38 AM   #2

I hope this is the place to put this post. We bought a 23ft 2002 starcraft starshuttle (toy hauler) brand new from the dealer 4 yrs ago. This trailer has been in for warranty work a couple of times. The major one was they had to strengthen the back sides of the trailer by the ramp because it was twisting and craking the fiberglass.

Well we had noticed the floor warping this year and really started to look in to it. Come to find out the whole floor is rotting, the front of the trailer is rotted right through and the lower side walls are starting also. All the fibergalss is delamenating. We took the rig down to the manufacture in Indiana. (it is out of warranty) and they definatly determined water is leaking in somewhere. (duh!!!) I recieved a call from them yesterday and they said they will go in 50/50 to fix it. They also said just labor alone would be close to $5000. So I am guessing it will cost close to $6000 or more to fix it.(more than a third of what I bought it for) Water is getting in from the front underside of the trailer (they did not say this, this is due to our observation) and causing the water to flow back like a wind tunnel.

Well anyway here is my dilema. I do not think that I should have to pay to fix a 4 yr old trailer that obviously has a manufature's defect. I still owe on the trailer, I can not sell it and no dealer will touch it for a trade in. It is that bad. This trailer has been very well maintained and is covered in the winter.

I am going to call the customer rep's boss to see what else they can do

Any other advise or feedback? Sorry it was so long but that is the jist of it.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #3

Geeze, sorry to hear your problem. Unfornutately I doubt there is much you can do except argue with them some. They can always claim "well, you did not reseal your trailer like you should have, so therefore it is your fault" Personally, as much as I hate to say it, fix it and dump it as fast as you can.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #4

Had you filed a complaint with the company or a dealer before the warranty expired? If you have it may be the key to getting all the repairs paid by the mfgr. You have three choices, one is sell as-is immediately and absorb the loss, two is proceed with the repairs, three is go to the finance company and say here it is, which is not a good choice. There is a leak detection system named LeakTec I think that's the name anyway. It uses a large diameter flex hose that attaches to the roof vent, connects to a high volume fan, and pressurizes the interior of the RV. The technician then sprays the exterior with a soap/water solution and watches for bubbles. This will find tiny leaks that are undetectable otherwise. Our new 5er had a water leak, and the LeakTec system found the entry point about 15' forward of where water was observed inside.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:04 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I kinda had a feeling I was stuck with this. It just doesn't sound right that they can get away with this. We know the leak is coming from the front underside of the trailer and flowing back. It was not sealed properly from the manufacturer. It was in for warranty work before for a leak in the sky light
and some other issues. It was very poorly built. (I think it was one of the first ones built on the assembly line for that model. Is there a way to find out?) They do not make these anymore and on another RV forum another person is having problems with his 2003 starcraft (I do not know the model) all delaminating, also out of warranty.

Well, thanks for letting me rant. If they had offered an extended warranty on the structure I probably would have bought it because I did buy the extended warranty for the appliances.

Whatis really irratating is that you see a lot of old trailers around and you know they were not maintained properly (just by looking at them and they are probably fine.)
Old 08-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about all your problems! I feel your pain to some extent with my 2006 19CK which has had issue after issue and it's only a year old. I have a post laying out the issues on here. My plan is that while it's in good working condition now (although our trip in 2 weeks may bring on new issues!) is to trade it for an ultra-lite but then on those I'm skeptical on the framing, axles, etc and what makes the lightweight. Good luck!
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I suggest you talk to a lawyer and ask about design defect. A proper design, properly built should not fall apart in four years. Also your State lemon laws might be reviewed. I just like to have all sorts of data before I take no for an answer.

Nancy

ncason is offline   Reply With Quote