Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
2003 Excel as first 5th wheel?

Quick background:
My previous travel trailer was a 24 foot Four Winds with the sleeping areas, front and back, that folded out. Not sure of the total weight. Tow vehicle was an extended cab,8 foot bed 1990 F150. After learning that the F150 was not the best tow vehicle, I ended up keeping the camper set up full time in an RV park.Sold the truck and sold the trailer a few years ago.
I am in my early 40's and still work a full time job, so I will not living full time in the RV.

Current plans:
I was made aware of a 35 foot 2003 Excel 5th wheel ( not sure of the model yet) and a 2003 Ford F350, long bed, dual rear wheel, Powerstroke 7.3 diesel engine available locally for sale. This package was used by a retired couple who went south during the winters and lived in the RV 5 months out of the year. When the truck and RV were back in Ohio for the summer, both were stored inside a large pole barn.

I have read alot of the threads on this forum regarding Excel 5th wheels and the quality of them. I also read on several forums about the F350 and the 7.3 liter engine, so I am comfortable knowing this is a very good combination of truck and trailer.

Possible concerns:
This is a whole lot of trailer, the kind that one would normally upgrade to, not get one right out of the gate. I know I would have to adjust / learn to towing something this long, and also the dynamics of a 5th wheel. I suspect something smaller, and less "four season" would fit my needs.

Planned usage:
At least 7 weekend trips per year to a local race track for 3 to 4 days per weekend. Other trips, once comfortable, would include trips to national parks and southern locations for one week vacations at a time.

Not sure what responses I am looking for, maybe share first time 5th wheel purchase and experience? Did you buy a 5th wheel as your first RV or how many previous trailers did you have before purchasing a 5th wheel?

NeoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Like you, I like the Excel brand too. Since you've followed the Excel forum, you are aware of the support that the members give each other. So that's a plus. Naturally, You'll want to look the trailer over for needed repairs- roof, seams, caulking condition, slideout seals, tire age, etc.
After a 27 foot travel trailer, (in our 40's) we bought our first 5er- a 32 foot Terry and pulled it with a Ford F250 7.3 Powerstroke. It worked really well as a combination and gave us a lot of good memories. I think the Excel is an excellent choice for you as long as you're ok with the longer length.

87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
I also would someday consider Excel as an upgrade to the current Cedar Creek Silverback we own...but, I'd need a dually.

We went from a 27' TT to our 34' Silverback 5ver....much easier to haul, and that extra length was not an issue. Did take some time to get used to backing up though....a lot different.

Go for it.
Splashers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
An Excel would be a very good rig. They are high quality, well insulated (this is just as important to keep the rig cool as it is to keep it heated), and have excellent support.

That said, as with any used rig, look it over thoroughly. Check all floor area for softness, which could indicate water damage. Even though it was stored in a pole barn, if the caulking wasn't redone periodically, it could still have water damage when they were using it.

Good luck

'05 NuWa 29.5 lktg HitchHiker II
'05 Chev 3500 4X4 Crew LB SRW Duramax/Alison
jamvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Thank you for the replies.
If the Excel and the truck check out, I think this will be summer "memory maker" package.
NeoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
This is more rig than you really need. But if the price is good go for it. Both the truck and 5th wheel have many more years of life to them.

Good luck

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, excel