Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

2006 Doubletree Mobile Suite 36tk3 no power

I have my RV plugged in to a 30 amp box. I keep it plugged in to keep batteries charged. I went to check on it the other day and noticed I had no power inside. I checked all breakers inside of rv, they were all good. Checked power at the box it was good. Checked the computer diagnosis and showed no power coming in.. Anyone have this problem before? I checked the main fuse link to the inverter. And it looks ok. I am stumped

deputybulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Check the 30-to-50 amp dogbone adapter at the pedestal. I've had them fail - same symptoms.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #3

I unplugged the 30 amp dog bone and plugged into 50 amp socket and still no power
Old 12-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Do you have a hard-wired surge protector between the 50 amp power cord and the main RV power distribution panel? If you have power at the pedestal and nothing at the RV power distribution panel bus bars, it either has to be the power cord itself is bad or a surge protector blocking the power from reaching the panel. Double check the screw lugs attaching the incoming power leads to the bus bars - make sure they're tight. My MS has a twist-lock Marenco-type plug in the power cord storage bay where the power cord attaches to the 5th wheel - if yours does, make sure it's engaged and locked.

Rusty
Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Another thought - do you have a generator with a transfer switch/relay? (I don't, so I didn't think about that.) If so, the transfer switch may not be switching back to shore power from generator power.

Rusty
Old 12-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

Thanks Rusty, I do not have a generator. And I have not idea about a surge protector, hmmmmmm I have not checked the power at the unit fuse box. but did check it at the post and there was power at the supply point. I do have that twist lock for the power cord and it was tight. If their were some sort of surge protector where would it be? any ideas? I will be back next weekend to open the coach fuse box to check power to there. I will be checking this thread through out the day for updates and responses. so thank you.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Andrew,

Perhaps there's some confusion. What I'm describing is chasing power toward the RV from the pedestal plug. If you verify a 120/240VAC split phase 50 amp supply at the pedestal (120VAC between L1&N and L2&N, 240VAC between L1&L2), then when you plug in the next possible step (since you don't have a transfer switch) would be a surge protector, probably located in the cord storage bay, but perhaps located in the cabinet with the RV's main breaker panel before the power reaches the panel. If you use a meter to check between the hot and neutral bus bars in the RV's main breaker panel, you should show 120VAC between each hot bus and the neutral bus. If it's not there, then you've lost it between the pedestal and breaker panel - that would mean a fault in the power cord or (if present) a lockout on the surge protector, loose connections at the surge protector and/or breaker panel bus terminals, dirty or corroded/oxidized blades on the 50 amp power cord's male plug, etc.

It's just a matter of chasing the voltage inward until you find out where it disappears. If the bus bars are hot in the RV's breaker box but none of the circuits are, then you have a problem with the main ganged (linked) 50 amp breakers (or a dual pole 50 amp breaker) in the breaker box.

Rusty
Old 12-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #8

Probably lost the convertor and battery is dead. I have the 32TK3 and same happened to me. Lost all 110. had only 12 volt but we were in it. Your battery discharged until it was spent. I lost 2 in life of rv.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #9

No confusion, my response was probably confusing :-) but I understand what you're saying. I have my RV parked on my moms property since she had land. I put in a large pad and cover and installed a regular rv park box with the 50/30 @ 110 plugs along with water and sewer dump. I spoke with her this morning and she has her RV parked outside next to my cover and had plugged hers into the 30 plug, apparently a family member was visiting for a week and was staying in her rv. She said she noticed my outside light was on and 3 days into family being in her rv they popped the breaker. She said they reset it and noticed my light was off. When I was there the other day is when I noticed I had no power to my rig. I checked inside her rv and she had power. So I disconnected her rv from the 30 amp and plugged the dogbone into mine and plugged into the 30 amp receptacle. Still no power. I checked breakers in my rig and nothing was tripped. Thats kinda where I am at. So I will check power to the breaker box in my rig to see if there is power and if there is some sort of surge protector inside and trace it back. Thank you. Hoping its going to warm up a bit there before I start :-) its been in the mid 20s.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Glenn,

I guess that's possible, but my take from what I read is that the OP has lost 120VAC to the rig. Perhaps I'm misreading his posts. Of course, if he doesn't have 120VAC, he soon won't have 12VDC when the coach batteries discharge. Perhaps he should plug a 120VAC load into the various plugs in the RV and determine whether he has 120VAC or not so we at least know what we're chasing.

I've had Progressive Dynamics 91XX series converters on my last two (2) 5th wheels, a 9155 on the previous and the OEM 9180 on my current MS, both with Charge Wizards. I've never had a problem with them. You've lost two?? Wow!!

Rusty
Old 12-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #11

I have not plugged anything into any outlets in the rig, I just noticed the microwave and fridge lights were not on, and i had no light in the rig when i turned them on, which i should of had. When i looked at the on board computer it showed there was no lan power coming in, and the batteries were low. Not fully discharged because in the garage i turned on the little 12volt light and it barely came on. I know there is a inline fuse that goes to the converter that went out once when i first bought the rig and i had no power. but looking at it, it didn't look like it was broke like the last one was. but I didn't have any of my testers with me to actually test it, visual inspection only. So i need to check that also. but I know what I need to check and hope its a easy fix. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #12

Just a WAG - flip the battery disconnect switch back and forth a few times. Maybe that switch has a bad connection.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #13

Thanks tuffr2 I will try that..
Old 12-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #14

fuse never popped on mine either. Do you have power coming in to the convertor? If you do and no power coming out, that's your problem.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power