Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2014, 03:19 AM   #1

Question 2006 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Hey guys, signed papers last month on this beast and finally got it home a few days ago due to the bad weather we had here a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I was wanting to know is it normal for the factory to put in a converter and not an inverter? This does not make any sense to me. The rubber roof has been coming unglued for some tiime and I have at least 5 windows that need resealed. i did not notice how bad the roof and windows are until my neighbor came over and helped me on a couple of things with the trailer. Could I claim this trailer as a Lemon law or is that law only for new RV's? I do have an extended warranty but I don't think it covers the windows or the roof.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danv View Post
Hey guys, signed papers last month on this beast and finally got it home a few days ago due to the bad weather we had here a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I was wanting to know is it normal for the factory to put in a converter and not an inverter? This does not make any sense to me. The rubber roof has been coming unglued for some tiime and I have at least 5 windows that need resealed. i did not notice how bad the roof and windows are until my neighbor came over and helped me on a couple of things with the trailer. Could I claim this trailer as a Lemon law or is that law only for new RV's? I do have an extended warranty but I don't think it covers the windows or the roof.
Unless you received some kind of used warranty if bought from a dealer, I think its likely to be your dime. Used usually falls under "as is"---otherwise known as buyer beware. And no, extended service contracts don't cover that sort of thing. Hopefully it won't be too bad. Good luck.

bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
hi danv, welcome to iRV2.

To your first question, yes towable RV's come with power converters,not inverters. Most items in your coach run off of 12V DC. When you are not plugged into an AC power source these items, when being used, will run off of the battery. Those items that are AC powered will not work in this case. However the critical items (ie: refrigerator and water heater) will also run off of LPG when AC is not available. When you are plugged into an AC power source those items will be run from the converter AND the converter will keep your batteries charged. You can install an inverter if desired. You just need additional batteries to supply power to it.

It think your second questions has been answered regarding a dealer with a warranty. the windows are easy to reseal. I did mine 2 years ago. I picked up a tube of Permabond sealant from Lowe's, using a single edge razor I removed the old sealing around the window, then resealed them. The roof is another story. You'ld probably be better off having it done professionally. FWIW - DRV has a facility in Elkhart, IN right off of I-80/I-90.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #4

DRV's facility is in Howe, IN which is about 20 miles east of Elkhart.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #5

My 2006 32tk3 is for sale at PPL. Our roof is in good shape and all we ever did was wash it and keep it sealed. Is it soft where it is loose? Lots of glue is water based. It will come loose if wet. As previously stated sealing windows is simple. done that a few times on ours. Check for soft spots before condemning unit.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

Might should add we did tow to Louisiana and it poured rain for days. Upon reaching park floor got wet. Climbed up on roof in rain and found screw had broke holding trim down. It was raised up. got screw gun and Dicor caulking and fixed it. That stuff works in rain also. After it finally stopped raining I put eterbond tape on front and back trim. Now if this had been left unattended unit would have extensive damage in little time. Check it good. They are great units just need care as any unit does. One should never buy a used camper without climbing on roof
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 02-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

Our Teton has an inverter. It also has a residential fridge. Has 4 batteries for the power demand also. It has all this due to the residential fridge.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #8

thanks

thanks for all the info guys. i am dropping truck off tomorrow afternoon to get hitch installed so I can take trailer to local dealer to give me more advice as to how bad it really is.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
danv
some times it seems bad and then you find out it's not so bad.
First year of full timing I keep thinking maybe I shouldn't be doing this.
Now not so much. 1, I learned how to do a lot of stuff after having to
fix so much stuff. 2 my grand parents stayed in a covered wagons and
Granny told me what they went thru, so I got a big piece of cake here..
Good luck DVR is a good unit.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by danv View Post
The rubber roof has been coming unglued for some tiime and I have at least 5 windows that need resealed. i did not notice how bad the roof and windows are until my neighbor came over and helped me on a couple of things with the trailer. Could I claim this trailer as a Lemon law or is that law only for new RV's? I do have an extended warranty but I don't think it covers the windows or the roof.
A lemon? Unless this was a new unit, hardly. And even then, you're far from "lemon."
Exterior sealants are up to you, the owner to maintain so that's not even counted. The roof unglued would be a warranty item, if new.
Extended warranty won't cover maintenance, like sealants, but might cover roof issue. Maybe.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #11

If you have any specific questions about Drv and repairs you might ask actual owners. There's an owners forum, www.suitesowners.com.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 AM   #12

Thanks for all the input so far. I guess I will just take it with a grain of salt and one day at a time. maybe I will get lucky and won't be so bad.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #13

danv
I have an '05 35TK3--should be pretty much the same as yours. If I can be of any help to you, email me direct at: joejd at aol.com
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:31 AM   #14

I will be asking for your help for sure. Thanks.