Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #1

2012 KZ Durango 1500 D295CS

I finally bit the bullet last week while at the Hershey Show and ordered a 2012 KZ Durango 1500 D295CS. I didn't go there looking to buy. Needless to say, they made an offer I just couldn't refuse.

This is our first RV, so I've got a few things to get in order before I have to drive back to PA and pick the unit up. Mainly I need to get a Pullrite 16K Superglide hitch with SuperRails mounting kit installed and I also want to install the Firestone R4Tech Air-Over-Leaf system in rear of my Ram 2500 Megacab. Oh, and I also need to find a place to store the trailer. Can't store it at my home.

I chose to pick it up at the PA dealership (Family Camping Outlet) and save on the delivery fees. Besides, the trip back to Florida should be a decent shake down cruise. The dealer wants us to camp up there a couple days just in case there is any problem and so they can teach us the "ins & outs" for this particular trailer.

Pictures to follow after delivery. Should be an interesting first trip home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #2

Congrats...can't wait to see the pictures.

As a first timer...ensure you AND your family are all familiar and comfortable with all of the systems.

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE Touring Edition (Loaded and then some)
djkarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkarau View Post
Congrats...can't wait to see the pictures.

As a first timer...ensure you AND your family are all familiar and comfortable with all of the systems.

It's just me and the wife. I'll be happy if I can get her to try driving once.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #4

I just ordered the SuperGlide 18K hitch and SuperRails for my truck. After talking with Pullrite I figured it only cost a couple hundred more for the larger hitch. I figure my next truck will be a 1 ton, so I'm sure my next trailer will be also be larger..

Also got a decent price for the installation of the R4Tech system, just need to finalize the deal since they wil also be installing the hitch when it arrives.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
You will not regret buying from family camping. They are great to deal with and always ready to help you out if you have a problem. I purchased a Montego Bay from them in 2007 and have always had family Camping do all my inspections and service. Their service manager-Bret- really knows what he is doing and always has time to educate you for free. You will not be sorry with picking KZ. They make a good quality 5er and stand behind their product. My main reason to purchase KZ was quality and I really wanted to deal with Family Camping and so far I am very happy with both.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #6

Man, that was fast. I ordered my Pullrite hitch on Friday from Dyers RV and it showed up this afternoon. Great price, too.

PullRite 18K SuperGlide 5th Wheel Hitch - 5th Wheel Hitch - 5th Wheel Hitch - Hitches - Towing & Automotive

I'm scheduled to have the hitch and the R4Tech rear suspension installed this Friday. I'll post pics and give you my ride impression this weekend.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #7

I just got notified by the dealer that my trailer is scheduled for shipping to the dealer this week.

We have scheduled to pick up the unit the week after Thanksgiving. So for the next week I'll be praying the weather can hold out for a couple more weeks. Even so I know it will be a nervous first trip back home from PA to FL.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Just rember you cannot go thru the tunnel with propane on your way home
Old 11-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #9

The dealer just received our trailer on their lot!!!!

We pick it up Monday.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #10

We have liftoff

Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Congratulations Sweet looking unit. Wish you good luck with it and now you can finally ENJOY.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlance View Post
Congratulations Sweet looking unit. Wish you good luck with it and now you can finally ENJOY.
On another forum they think the trailer is sitting too high in the front when hitched. It was suggested that I need to raise the pinbox, lower the trailer axle shackles or adding lifting blocks to the axles. I'm okay with changing the height of the pinbox to lower the front of the trailer or even adusting the air suspension on my truck to get it sitting level. Just not too "warm and fuzzy" with changing something on the trailer suspension.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #13

Here's a pic after I raised the pin box 2 inches and lowered the truck bed 2 inches. I was amazed how much more stable it tows now. Even the wife commented it seemed to be a better ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-08_15-08-33_695.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	16991  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
They pull the way they are supposed to when they are level. I had to flip the axels on mine because the truck just sits too high. I'm glad you could use the simple solution. Hope you are enjoying the new KZ. Ours is winterized and parked for the winter. Can't wait til spring.

Tags
kz-rv