Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

2012 New Cameo

Today we looked at a new 2012 Carriage Cameo 37RSQ. Very impressive. Build quality appeared to be very solid, stacked tubular frame, great bathroom design (open, walk through) with best shower I've seen, carpet was very well padded, and quality of furnishing was real good. I looked at this because the Carriage brand is kaput, but the owners I've visited with still love them. The dealer offered a 4 year extended warranty from 'Interstate Star RV'. The initial offer was ~70% of MSRP with a decent trade in. I know I can beat the net price by several thousand at another dealer 550 miles away, but hopefully this closer dealer will come down a bit. If I'm making a BIG mistake in anyone's opinion let me know why. Thanks in advance.
Pigdoc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

I don't think you can go wrong with the Cameo. It was on our very short list until we found out that I could not stand up in the bedroom because of the way they installed the slide mechanism.

One thing I would be sure to look at, if this trailer has sat for a long time (a year or longer) check all the caulking on it. In fact, I would tell the dealer to recaulk everything and have him pay for it in lieu of the 4 year warranty.

Other than the Cameo "box" all the items in your trailer such as stove, fridge furniture etc. all carry their own warranty from the manufacturer.

The only reason I wouldn't try to negotiate away the 4 year contract is if it specifically says it covers frame issues. Carriage built their own frames, not Lippert, so that is one item that some other manufacturer would not pick up with Carriage being gone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SouthernNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #3

Carriage built good units. Work your deal and smile. As for the roof, recaulking the roof is about 3 hours work max. I would do some serious thinking before doing away with a 4 year warranty. The roof needs touching up every year anyway.

Bob
Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Two things - be sure you understand the warranty on this, as the RV is now an orphan.
Also, this is a year old and an orphan, so the deal should be tremendous. 70% off MSRP doesn't sound all that impressive, considering, but if they are giving you alot for your trade, then maybe the deal is OK.

I'd really have to love this unit, or love the deal to go forward.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #5

Hey Carraige made a good camper if the deal is right and the extended warranty is right go for it.

I would not have a problem buying one,, just don't think you would have major problems with it.Finding a service center to work on it, if you had problems should not be a problem.

Lots of dealers rely on there service department to keep the doors open.

Good luck and do what you feel comfortable with.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #6

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm currently looking at a Carriage Cameo and have no reservations about the quality of the unit or that the company is no longer in business, I'd say go with what your gut tells you.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We love our Cameo. The ONLY problem we have has has been the large kitchen slide.

Ken
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We love our Cameo. The ONLY problem we have has has been the large kitchen slide.

Ken
Don't mean to high jack the OP's thread, but would you care to share your experience with this problem and corrective action taken? We are looking at a 2008 35SB3 now.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Booger, the problem is a poorly designed gear train. The gear teeth are cut too shallow and the motor is not mounted rigidly with the 4 small bolts. There are a couple of fixes. RBW is the manufacturer and are most helpful. They sent the slide drawings with the modifications noted. You need to slot the mounting holes and use good lock washers with Loctite on all of the screws.

Good luck with your future RV. We still love the Cameo.

Ken
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #10

Cameo is a nice rig, but you should be able to get a better discount than 30%. I got that before Cameo was an orphan.