Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

2013 Cougar HC, window fell out

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. We recently purchased a used 2013 Cougar High Country and took it camping for the first time. On the way home, the front bedroom safety/exit window fell out. We drove back and couldn't find it anywhere. Does anyone know the best way to order a new one. I have tried calling 3 RV dealers and none of them can give me a price or how long it will take to get a new window. They said they have to "email" the factory and wait for a reply as to the cost, etc. This seems really stupid to me. None of them were very helpful, but they sure bend backwards when they want you to buy an RV. Does anyone know where you can buy parts directly. My husband had to tape a piece of plastic over the window to keep the rain out and I am so worried about using tape on the outside of the camper. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar HC View Post
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. We recently purchased a used 2013 Cougar High Country and took it camping for the first time. On the way home, the front bedroom safety/exit window fell out. We drove back and couldn't find it anywhere. Does anyone know the best way to order a new one. I have tried calling 3 RV dealers and none of them can give me a price or how long it will take to get a new window. They said they have to "email" the factory and wait for a reply as to the cost, etc. This seems really stupid to me. None of them were very helpful, but they sure bend backwards when they want you to buy an RV. Does anyone know where you can buy parts directly. My husband had to tape a piece of plastic over the window to keep the rain out and I am so worried about using tape on the outside of the camper. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried contacting the factory directly? We are on our 4th RV and after many attempts to get consistent service we go directly to the manufacturers. One of the biggest RV dealers in FL kept our 5th Wheel 30 days and could not fix a slide issue - we are taking it to Lippert - the slide people - in Indiana in the Spring. We have also had excellent results taking a previous Coachmen back to the factory near Elkhart. 15 items to be fixed - it took them less than one day, gave us a guided tour of the factory and they put us up free in their small camping area. Worth a try, they may recommend a parts source as well.

AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #3

Thank you. On the Keystone web site it says parts through authorized dealers only, but it is worth a try. I will call them on Monday and tell them I am having a hard time ordering from a dealer. Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
JDT

Not sure where you live but Colaw RV salvage near Joplin, Mo has lots of new and used parts. They may or may not have windows.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

I live in northern lower Michigan, but I will check it out. Thanks
Old 10-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
IC2

Two more sources plus - RV salvage yards have literally thousands of damaged or otherwise unsellable units just waiting to have parts stripped and sold. In our recently completed lengthy trip, we passed at least two with hundreds of trailers with all kinds of salvage items

The second way is to contact the window manufacturer. It's a pretty good chance that being a Keystone product that the window is a Hehr (Hehr International). You will need to know the dimensions, corner radius and tell them if it's a frameless or framed window. If you pull the rest of the assembly out, Hehr usually has a part number on a white sticker somewhere on the aluminum frame

Lastly - if you just lost the glass, any good glass shop can come close to matching the tint and supply a safety pane for a LOT less money then either of the two noted above.

My experience with RV sellers and ordering parts - not bad yet, but not on a par with say Home Depot or even my local Ford dealer.

(PS: Next time, you need to latch the window closed )
Old 10-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Awesome! The whole window is gone. Will look at the window frame and contact manufacturer on Monday. Thank you very much.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #8

There's a couple RV surplus stores close to the Mi-In border, west of White Pigeon, on US 12. Johnsons, and Bontragers
Old 10-18-2015, 01:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat View Post
There's a couple RV surplus stores close to the Mi-In border, west of White Pigeon, on US 12. Johnsons, and Bontragers
X2 We stopped in Bontragers once time and were really impressed with the tons of "stuff" they have. May be worth a call if needed:
Bontrager's Surplus Inc
Today:Open 24 Hours
18719 E US Highway 12,
White Pigeon, MI 49099
(269) 483-7017
AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #10

Thanks Jack!

This forum is wonderful. I never expected to get so much help from everyone. Whenever this gets resolved, I will be back and let everyone know what ends up happening. Again, thanks everyone.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #11

We have a 2012 HC and even on windy days, that bedroom emergency exit needs to be securely latched or the lever pulls out through the slot and starts banging. Good luck!
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #12

Well, finally ended up ordering it from the RV dealer near me. After several days of emailing back and forth with Kinro factory, even sent them a picture, they still wanted the number off of the top of the window frame, which I told them was sealed in and no way it will come out. It ends up they send the whole thing, window, frame and all. I should have called some of the other places mentioned here, but my husband said order it and get it done. He plans on just using the existing frame from the camper and hopefully the window part is a good fit. That sure was an expensive lesson about making sure the latch is securely shut. Thanks everyone.

Tags
window