Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 23
2013 Jayco HT 26.5 is 3" nose high

I can't lower the hitch because the pinbox will hit the bed sides when turning sharp, so I guess I'm looking at installing a sub frame to raise the rv.
I should have known going to a lighter weight 5th wheel that it would sit lower for 1/2 ton trucks, and my 3/4 ram is pretty tall.
Thanks for any advice.
__________________

__________________
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 541
2013 Jayco HT 26.5 is 3" nose high

I'm confused why this is a problem. I've not been towing a 5er very long and I know having it tow level is the ideal but 3" doesn't seem like a lot to me, as long as the trailer suspension can handle it.

Edit:
I checked my trig calculator and a 3 inch rise in 156 inch run (1/2 the length of 26 feet) is 1.10 degrees of rise.
__________________

__________________
2012 Dodge C3500 DRW 4x4 Long Box, WeatherGuard 90 Gal transfer tank, B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Keystone Montana 3100RL, 520W Solar, 460AH batteries, Morningstar MPPT 45 CC, Bogart 2030RV monitor.
drdarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 23
I found out even newer 1/2 tons are having this problem also, and my lowest step is 1" off the ground. If it ever stops raining I'm going to get some measurements to be exact.
__________________
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
glennwest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,085
Check wheel weights or wheel temps. This will give you info if problem exists. More load more heat. If rear axle temps or weight higher than front, need to level.
__________________
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 23
Well it finally quit raining, and I took some measurements today. From the ground to the frame in front its 28", and in back its 21". I had to raise my hitch 2" to get 7" of clearance over the bed, and that made it worse. It looks like it going to take 6" of lift to get close to being level.
__________________
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Evergreen Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bonaparte, Iowa
Posts: 480
Sounds like you were actually 3 inches lower in front initially and then you raised it 5 inches for bed clearance so now you are only 2 inches higher in front? Pretty sure my addition and subtraction still works.........................
__________________
Special ordered 2016 Bay Hill 375RE with 17.5 wheels/G114 Goodyears/Hydraulic disc brakes. 2016 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 CC LB dually Hensley BD3 Air Ride Hitch.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #7
Member


 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Oakhurst Ca. halw@sti.net
Posts: 39
Nose High

I have a 36.5 Landmark that had the same problem. I' m towing it with a 2011 3500 4x4 6.7 ram which has higher bed sides . I solved the problem by moving the axels below the springs . Also installed disc breaks while I had it all apart . Good Luck l
__________________
Halwiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 23
Thanks for the responses, it looks like a 5" to 6" lift will be needed. I wish it needed tires so I could go to 16", and get some height there.
__________________
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
Thanks for the responses, it looks like a 5" to 6" lift will be needed. I wish it needed tires so I could go to 16", and get some height there.
Are your axles on top or below the springs ? If on top "flip em"
__________________
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 23
Thanks, but the axles are under the springs.
__________________
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
RussOnTheRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
I can't lower the hitch because the pinbox will hit the bed sides when turning sharp, so I guess I'm looking at installing a sub frame to raise the rv.
I should have known going to a lighter weight 5th wheel that it would sit lower for 1/2 ton trucks, and my 3/4 ram is pretty tall.
Thanks for any advice.
I'm new to 5th wheels and trucks--just beginning to look around. It sounds like your issue should be something I am conscious of as I go forward. I want to be certain understand the discussion here. May I ask for a little clarification?

If I understand correctly, if you lower the hitch height enough so as to level your fiver, the pin box of your fiver will hit the bed walls of your truck during sharp turns instead of passing over them and this is because your new fiver was built with lower truck bed walls in mind, lower than the bed walls of your current truck. Do I have that right?

I also gather from this thread that having a fiver close to level while towing is important.

If I understand things correctly, wow, I can see how this would be a thorny problem. I'm so sorry you find yourself in that unenviable position.

It would seem that either you need to lift the rear of your fifth wheel, lower the bed walls of your truck, somehow raise the height of your pin box, or some combination of these things. I am uncertain if any of these are practical or even possible.

Since your springs are already on top of your axles you cannot reposition them by moving them from underneath the axles to on top in order to raise the rear of your trailer. Would it be possible to create some sort of spacers and insert them between the springs and the axle to raise the rear of your fifth wheel? Just a thought. Then, I must wonder about raising your trailer's center of gravity too high so as to make it unruly while towing. You might also want to think about how raising your trailer might effect climbing the entry stairs.

At the same time I wonder as someone new to fifth wheels how I can be certain to avoid running into the same problem. I mean, I do not recall ever reading a specification provided for a fifth wheel that mentions the maximum height of a pick up truck bed wall in order to avoid collisions with the pin box while allowing for level towing.

How does a person make certain what the allowable bed wall height would be? Would it make sense to measure from the ground to the lowest spot of the pin box when the fifth wheel is level and compare that to the distance from the ground to the top of the truck's bed walls? How much clearance is needed between the two?

I think this would be valuable information for all fifth wheel wannabes, or I guess anybody shopping for a fifth wheel.
__________________
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
I'm new to 5th wheels and trucks--just beginning to look around. It sounds like your issue should be something I am conscious of as I go forward. I want to be certain understand the discussion here. May I ask for a little clarification?

If I understand correctly, if you lower the hitch height enough so as to level your fiver, the pin box of your fiver will hit the bed walls of your truck during sharp turns instead of passing over them and this is because your new fiver was built with lower truck bed walls in mind, lower than the bed walls of your current truck. Do I have that right?

I also gather from this thread that having a fiver close to level while towing is important.

If I understand things correctly, wow, I can see how this would be a thorny problem. I'm so sorry you find yourself in that unenviable position.

It would seem that either you need to lift the rear of your fifth wheel, lower the bed walls of your truck, somehow raise the height of your pin box, or some combination of these things. I am uncertain if any of these are practical or even possible.

Since your springs are already on top of your axles you cannot reposition them by moving them from underneath the axles to on top in order to raise the rear of your trailer. Would it be possible to create some sort of spacers and insert them between the springs and the axle to raise the rear of your fifth wheel? Just a thought. Then, I must wonder about raising your trailer's center of gravity too high so as to make it unruly while towing. You might also want to think about how raising your trailer might effect climbing the entry stairs.

At the same time I wonder as someone new to fifth wheels how I can be certain to avoid running into the same problem. I mean, I do not recall ever reading a specification provided for a fifth wheel that mentions the maximum height of a pick up truck bed wall in order to avoid collisions with the pin box while allowing for level towing.

How does a person make certain what the allowable bed wall height would be? Would it make sense to measure from the ground to the lowest spot of the pin box when the fifth wheel is level and compare that to the distance from the ground to the top of the truck's bed walls? How much clearance is needed between the two?

I think this would be valuable information for all fifth wheel wannabes, or I guess anybody shopping for a fifth wheel.
Russ, measuring the 5er unhooked, and level is a good way to start your process. The main thing to consider is that you need 6" to 8" of clearance over the bed rails to the 5er to allow for dips, and humps in the road surface. After getting this measurement you can then decide on the hitch height of your pinbox to the hitch. This pretty much dictates where the front of the 5er needs to be height wise, and there are many ways to raise, or lower the rear.
__________________
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
RussOnTheRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
Russ, measuring the 5er unhooked, and level is a good way to start your process. The main thing to consider is that you need 6" to 8" of clearance over the bed rails to the 5er to allow for dips, and humps in the road surface. After getting this measurement you can then decide on the hitch height of your pinbox to the hitch. This pretty much dictates where the front of the 5er needs to be height wise, and there are many ways to raise, or lower the rear.
Good info. Thanks.

In terms of raising or lowering the rear of a fifth wheel I have heard about moving the leaf springs attaching point from below to above the axle or vice a versa. What other methods are there for raising and lowering the rear of a fifth wheel?
__________________
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 23
Lift or Lower blocks are sometimes used between the spring and the axle, and sometimes sub frames are needed for a larger lift.
__________________

__________________
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jayco



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"New Posts," "Today's Posts" and "List Subscriptions" Not Current l1v3fr33ord1 Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns 3 02-23-2016 07:28 AM
Towing fifth wheel nose high rjustice 5th Wheel Discussion 21 07-24-2015 02:54 PM
Front ramp on "V" nose trailer Rdpatt3 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 04-07-2013 08:16 AM
Nose High, What's OK, What's Not. Highgturn Excel Owner's Forum 19 01-18-2008 11:56 AM
Nose of 5th wheel to high?? Don & Shirley Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 11 08-19-2006 06:54 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.