Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #1

2014 1500 Ram 4x4 with Hemi & Towing Pkg.

This truck has a 6' bed. Will it tow a 29'4" Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel. The hitch weight is 1356# & UVW is 7998#

Thanks for any feedback.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #2

It will drag it down the road, but unless you plan on towing it around by yourself and completely empty, you will have far more weight than 1356 for payload. You have to include the hitch, passenger's and any cargo in the truck. Now that is less payload you have left. Whatever camping gear you have in the camper will increase the pin weight rapidly and through you over weight on payload if not axle weight as well.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
With the numbers you have your hitch weight is 17% of the trailer weight. That seems to be on the light side. Normal 5 wheel is 20 - 25%. Take the GVW of the trailer and use 20% of that weight. Add 150 lbs for the hitch and you will have a more realistic weight.

You will more than likely well overloaded by the time you add full fuel, toys, grill, family and pets to the mix.

Do the numbers and get an accurate assessment of what you are trying to do.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #4

I;m a proponent of towing with the lightest truck that will get the job done. Cause when you get there you hae to drive around in what you towed with. But, you might be over doing it a bit. Here's what to do.

Find out exactly what the pin weight is. DON'T EVER TRUST A SALESMAN ON WHAT SOMETHING WEIGHS OR WHAT YOU CAN TOW IT WITH. Best way is to hook up and go to the scales. Of course you can't do that if you don't have the hitch yet so find a pin scale and weigh it. Then add the weight you estimate you will add fore of the axles when you tow the 5er. Add those numbers and you will have a pin weight.

Go to the rear tires and see what they will stand, it's written on the side wall. If the weight exceeds the tire rating you will have to upgrade the tires. The rear axle won't bend but the tires will fail if over loaded. If you can get the tire rating to exceed the REAL pin weight than you can probably do it. But, you will need air bags to keep the truck level. And, you will need to KNOW that the trailer brakes are in good order.

As someone said above you will be able to get it down the road. How many trips that gasser and tranny will last is the question. If Dodge says you can tow that much weight you probably can. Good luck.

Oh yeah, remember that so long as you are not towing commercial no one cares what you tow unless you are so far overloaded as to be a hazzard. You know, like rear bumper is dragging. hope this helps.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
This truck has a 6' bed. Will it tow a 29'4" Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel. The hitch weight is 1356# & UVW is 7998#

Thanks for any feedback.
You need to look at the truck's payload and towing capacities. Trailer empty weight shouldn't be relied on, use the GVWR for the trailer. Figure on around 15% of the GVWR for pin weight. Personally, I wouldn't tow a fifth wheel with anything less than a 3/4 ton, preferably a diesel.
Only my 2c worth......
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #6

no!
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTx View Post
no!

Unless Dodge , VASTLY ! improved the payload capacity on the half tons ; on the newer models . I know for a fact it was possible to overload a 2006 1/2 ton , 4X4, quad cab by putting an adult in every seat, no trailer , nothing in the bed just passengers. That's the reason that when you look at a Dodge 1/2 ton , Mega Cab, it rides on 3/4 ton axles with 8 stud wheels , they had to do something to improve the payload capacity on the trucks with the larger heavier cab.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #8

No way. I used to have a 2013 ram 1500 Laramie and its payload was 1061lbs...yes 1061lbs! Barely enough for a family of four and a small travel trailer. I confirmed the weights via cat scale and with wife and 4 and 8 year olds we had 625lbs payload left for tongue weight....ram 1500 have horrible payload. I went to a 2014 3500 srw cummins because of it
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #9

I'm a little more familiar with Fords than Dodge or Ram.

But generally speaking, 1/2 ton trucks are sprung like an old Crown Victoria. They're more for ride than carrying capacity.

Both the Maximum Trailer Tow Package and Heavy Duty Payload Package are required the RV to get up to where they'd tow a 9K load. And even then, a quad cab short bed pickup may not have the availability of all the springing, wheels and equipment required to tow the biggest loads.

You seldom see trucks on dealer lots because the two above packages are well over $2K. You can easily tell when trucks are equipped for heavy trailer towing due to their having more lug nuts than standard 1/2 ton trucks. And most extra heavy 1/2 ton trucks will often be special ordered units.

If I was buying a new truck to tow what you want to tow, it's easier just buying a 3/4 ton truck--even if it's a gas powered unit.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #10

I personally wouldn't. I had a '14 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.9l Hemi, and towing my 6,000 lb boat and trailer was ok but I wouldn't have tackled much more than that.

The truck will pull the load, but it'll take a long while to stop, and the transmission probably won't last long with that kind of weight. Oh, I averaged around 8mpg pulling the boat..
Cane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing