Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

2014 Forest River Salem Hemisphere Lite Slide Is Out Stuck Out...........

2014 Forest River Salem Hemisphere Lite 5th wheel.

Lippert electric motor with gears. Jim dry silicone about a month ago and did a little tweaking to get it to come all the way flush. No trouble coming in or out at that time.

Problem now is when we try to slide in the floor lifts up and the top tilts out. Like it is trying to fall out of the hole. Can not get it to fully come in. Jim tried pushing in at both corners and only one side comes in the other side is stuck.

Please help. We are going on VaCa in 30 days.

Thanks
Marigold

mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #2

Does your Lippert slide drive , look like this one?
If so maybe I can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191 (640x480).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	102583  

Old 08-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #3

Jim said yes it it......
Old 08-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Does your Lippert slide drive , look like this one?
If so maybe I can help.
Jim said that is ours......
Old 08-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #5

OK. Here is what needs to be checked out; and I'm sorry I don't have more pictures , because I was repairing this slide for a friend.
The gold colored shaft contains the worm gear drive , that pushes and pulls the slide at the end at which it's attached. That I think is the only one moving at the moment. Let me know if that's not what's happening.
On the other end of the slide will be a support, the same as the square tube with the drive teeth on the bottom, just behind the gold tube in the picture. On the side of the trailer frame will be an idler shaft with gears contacting both supports at the teeth, the gears should transfer any movement of one support directly to the other so they move in unison.
The gears are fixed to the idler shaft with either roll pins, or bolts ; and from your description one of the pins or bolts has broken off and only the one end of the slide is being driven by the worm gear. Replacing the broken component may require removal of the idler shaft from the frame, to extract the broken part. If so , when re-installing the shaft , care must be taken to synchronize , by measurements and tooth count , on both supports so the slide is square when it moves.

Also , there could be a problem with the tweaking that was done , if the trailer was not level and well supported, at that time the slide could now be binding in the wall opening, and that binding caused the other components to fail.
Hope this info helps.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
OK. Here is what needs to be checked out; and I'm sorry I don't have more pictures , because I was repairing this slide for a friend.
The gold colored shaft contains the worm gear drive , that pushes and pulls the slide at the end at which it's attached. That I think is the only one moving at the moment. Let me know if that's not what's happening.
On the other end of the slide will be a support, the same as the square tube with the drive teeth on the bottom, just behind the gold tube in the picture. On the side of the trailer frame will be an idler shaft with gears contacting both supports at the teeth, the gears should transfer any movement of one support directly to the other so they move in unison.
The gears are fixed to the idler shaft with either roll pins, or bolts ; and from your description one of the pins or bolts has broken off and only the one end of the slide is being driven by the worm gear. Replacing the broken component may require removal of the idler shaft from the frame, to extract the broken part. If so , when re-installing the shaft , care must be taken to synchronize , by measurements and tooth count , on both supports so the slide is square when it moves.

Also , there could be a problem with the tweaking that was done , if the trailer was not level and well supported, at that time the slide could now be binding in the wall opening, and that binding caused the other components to fail.
Hope this info helps.
Thank you for the reply. I will have Jim come in and read this. I am sure he will know what you are talking about. To me it's all Greek....LOL
Old 08-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #7

Jim adjusted the slide out. I comes in correctly but then the left top has a 1 1/2" gap. Right top is tight. He tighten left side gap with slide out then when slide comes in the top of the slide tries to tilts back out..........LOL

This is like the infamous trimming of the chair legs.

Too hot right now he will try another day.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Your slide is out of time. It may have jumped a tooth on one side and if so, the two sides will never be able to close tightly at the same time. The gear pack can be lowered below the front idler tube and then the slide squared with the trailer. Then re-install the gear pack. If you go to Lippert's website you can see the parts diagram of your slide mechanism. Now, the real problem is, what is out of adjustment to make it get out of time in the first place. This may be a job for a dealer or mobile tech if all this sounds really complex to you guys.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Your slide is out of time. It may have jumped a tooth on one side and if so, the two sides will never be able to close tightly at the same time. The gear pack can be lowered below the front idler tube and then the slide squared with the trailer. Then re-install the gear pack. If you go to Lippert's website you can see the parts diagram of your slide mechanism. Now, the real problem is, what is out of adjustment to make it get out of time in the first place. This may be a job for a dealer or mobile tech if all this sounds really complex to you guys.
Thanks Taken...........

I will copy and paste this post for Jim to read. All of this is Greek to me.

Tags
slide, sale