Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #1

2015 Montana 3100RL vs Cedar Creek 34RL

Looking to buy one of these two units. Any input would be helpful. I would like to hear from montana users as well as cedarc creek users. Thanks for your help. Soon to be in a new rv and retired.
elkdeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #2

We had a Cedar Creek 36RLTS (rear living triple slide) that we traded on the Monaco. Had no problems with it in 6 years of use. If it means anything we got $6000.00 less than we paid for it.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #3

Hi, I know this is not a Montana unit but I did have a 318SAB Cougar which is a Keystone product.

We just purchase a new 2015 CC34RL this February 2015. I did compare this against several other 5ers in the same class as the Cedar Creeks. I have not towed or used this unit since it is going to be delivered in April of this year to me.

In reviewing the Cedar Creek I felt this model provided the most bang for the buck. We decided on this model because of the structural components and the hydraulic motor VS electrical motors for slides and leveling system. Also as an option I was able to buy the TrailAir king pin for the trailer installed from the factory. My wife liked the interior and the CC models offer room darkening roller shades instead of the pleated room darkening that is offered in other models. These still let in small pin holes of light.

Another reason that I purchased the Cedar Creek is that to me it seems that Forest River is more involved with their owners than Keystone is. Forest River offers a rally yearly and they tend to monitor the Forest River Owners . Com website. They also offer Coach Net free for one year along with membership in F.R.O.G.

My biggest complaint with Keystone is the lack of communication with the end users. Such as when you contact them for non-warranty issues such as peeling decals and wanting a source of supply to buy from. No Answer from them on the first two e-mails sent.

Jim W.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:51 PM   #4

My wife and I purchased a 2015 Montana mountaineer. We are full timers. Spent the winter in New Mexico no problems with keeping warm. Insulation is equal to r11. Outside sounds are minimal. Nice floor plan. Front master bedroom, bunks in back, 2 baths, 39 foot, 2 a/c, 50 amps, fireplace, 5 slides, more than enough storage. We decided on this model price was right. We are not displeased.
southwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #5

As president of our camping club I have seen many different units and complaints . Montana owners complain of decals pealing and company won't stand behind the product also when less than a year old the kitchen faucet would work sometimes and other times wouldn't come on , they took it to the shop for repairs and manufacture said it was caused by not being used right LMAO , how can you not use a faucet right and these are retired people not kids . Cougars owners have had there unit back to the dealer many a times for repairs in first year . We traded in our 42' Monaco for a new CC 38' rig and love it , and love how you can join the CederCreek sight and read all the forums and yes they do monitor the sight and will jump in if they see a customer having problems , now tell me what company does that . Also if you buy a CC you join FROG and go to the yearly get together with other owners and spend a week at the factory and they also take care of problems at your camp sight or do upgrades . Yes all company's have problems but when you can't even get anyone from the manufacture to answer you back about problems is a company i won't buy from , also look at materials used to build with , CC still uses wood and not wood looking foam around cabinets and bulk heads . I too got the Trail Air on my rig . Good luck and what ever you buy have fun .
CC38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #6

jimcumminsw.....I hear you about Keystone. Years ago when we were shopping for Keystone products I also read about some customer service issues. Montana is one of the brands we're looking at, and right now we can't even get someone to call us back from the factory. So if they can't even get back to us about SELLING a unit, it does make me question. :-) Cedar Creek sounds good but most of the floor plans are too long. My husband does not want a unit over 40 feet.....preferably around 38'. However, there is one floor plan we intend to take a look at.
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #7

southwest......thanks for your feedback. We don't need a unit that big with 2 baths because it's only the 2 of us, but I'm glad to hear about your experience with the Montana. Just curious though, have you had any opportunities for service, and if so how has the response and turnaround time been? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #8

CC38CK......this is the kind of info we love to read from owners. The 38CK is actually one of the floor plans we're looking at, but the specs say the rig is 40' 7" long. My husband doesn't want to pull anything that long. Can you talk about your experience pulling a big rig? I guess since your previous rig was even longer, you must be pretty accomplished at handling longer rigs. We currently have a 30' travel trailer, so I'm not sure how we feel about jumping to something that big. But we're definitely going to visit the Cedar Creek factory (we live in Indiana), and they've offered to open up any units for us if we'd like to see their floor plans.

Tags
montana