Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #1

2016 Cougar RLS heater issues

Just got back from a 3 night 4 day trip. Night temps dropped into the mid 20's & this furnace ran non-stop but didn't keep the temp near the stat set point. we ended up firing up the burners on the range ( I know not the smartest thing to do) to get the inside temp up to just 60 deg. Not my idea of a 4 season unit ! Has anyone out there had this issue with there unit. this is a new unit & only it's 5th trip out. I have had the T-Stat replaced already due to it not coming on at all.
Thanks for any feed back.
Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #2

I have a 2016 Cougar 30RLI and my temps have been down to 28* and used the electric fireplace, a space heater and the propane furnace and had a hard time getting the temp up above 65* until the sun came up. Very disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

We have a 2014 Cougar 325SRX and have had similar experiences in the past. It's easy for the sales person to point at that "Polar package" sticker and tell you what you want to hear...
Chrisk153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #4

First off.......
Check that all ducts are 'attached' to furnace discharge plenum

Check size of furnace....only see 30,000btu listed
Small for 5th wheel

Heated enclosed underbelly will have a 2" OPEN duct blowing -----

Also check the flow out of ALL floor registers.
If all ducts are attached to furnace the you could have some that are crushed

But 30,000btu is limited in heating capabilities with underbelly and slides
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #5

As per Keystone the polar package plus only means your tanks won't freeze up down to zero degrees that's it. (You'll be just as warm as being in a tent) jmo. I had a piece of junk Keystone Sprinter just after they started in 1997. Their warranty sucked also dealer had it for 9 months to fix warranty issues, told dealer to have it fixed in 2 weeks after waiting 9 months. Well they did nothing nor keystone wouldn't talk to me, so I went on a Saturday and told everyone in dealership not to buy from them because they won't fix your trailer, well they asked me to leave, told them to fix it by Friday. Well it wasn't fixed on Friday, so I made a 4'x4' foot sign telling people not to buy from dealer or keystone and stood at the entrance to the dealership off their property on Saturday and Sunday, my Sprinter was fixed Monday morning. After that experience and a few others with keystone products, yes I thought it was maybe just that first 5th wheel, but no my 2001 Montana was just about the same, spring shackle broke the first year than floor and wall frame problems. Got away from Keystone products after that. I maybe biased but after 2 different ones I'm not impressed in how they are cheaply made to me. IMHO.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a 327 5er and the guys all go up north in November and we have no issues. In the last couple of years it has been down as low as 20 and windy and we keep it at 70. The only thing we do is keep everything closed up and keep the fireplace going 24/7.
inspecterbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

2016 Cougar Heater Issues

Hey thanks for all the replies! This is my first "New" unit of any type & to say the least I'm very disappointed. My old 75 Winnie Brave did loads better than this unit does. The selling dealer has been less than stiller in even responding to my phone calls, e-mails. And being that there a 4hr drive 1 way I'm not inclined to just drag it up there unannounced. Again though thanks for all your feed back.

Jim
AKA: Bingo
Old 09-26-2016, 09:48 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Having previously owned a Cougar, they are not 4-season RV's. It's not insulated enough for that low temperature. As inspecterbak stated, pull in the slides to reduce the sq ft of what you're heating. The slides, when deployed, are a huge heat loser so bring them to stay warmer.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Having previously owned a Cougar, they are not 4-season RV's. It's not insulated enough for that low temperature. As inspecterbak stated, pull in the slides to reduce the sq ft of what you're heating. The slides, when deployed, are a huge heat loser so bring them to stay warmer.

Lori-

If I brought in my slides, I would be not be able to enter the living/dining area of my trailer. Great idea, just not always practicable.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Since they aren't meant for 4-season use, you've got a few options because it's extremely dangerous to use your stove burners for heat:
  • Don't RV when it's going to be that cold
  • Use space heaters
  • Insulate all openings with foil backed panels
  • Live with it being cold
  • Trade it for a better insulated RV

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #11

Cougar RLS heat issues

Thanks again for all the replies! Space heaters unless your on line power still require propane most of our camping is dry camping. Likewise if I pull in my slide in to reduce the sq foot I cant get around the counter. Just wish there was a fix for insignificant heat in a "new" camper. Thanks to all !

Jim
AKA: Bingo

Tags
heat, heater