Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #15

what is the distance from the ground to your fifth wheel extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
My truck squats 1"...I bring trailer, and truck, back to level with air shocks......

"
I understand...but do you maintain a gap of 5-6" clearance between bed rail and fifth Wheel extension when level? If so, what is the distance from the ground to your fifth wheel extension? What is the distance from the ground to the top of your bed rail?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearance.GIF
Views:	297
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	179617  
donincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donincanada View Post
I bought a 2017 F250 Diesel and while I paid attention to load carrying capacity , I screwed up in that the truck is about 59 inches high at the side of the box. A fifth wheel trailer from Grand Design was about the same height, so no realize that the truck has a lift kit in it from the factory. Perhaps because I go the 20 inch wheel package...but not sure.

I friend looked in at the rear axles and notices there is a tall spacer, so says I just need to get it removed and have the truck lowered so that there is about 4 inches between the bottom of the trailer and the side of the truck.

What a pain...I thought I was checking everything but I goofed on that part.

Has anyone run into that problem and was it fixed easily??

I attached a couple photos..hopefully they display[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Don
My neighbor has a 4X4 that is raised significantly and he had the axles on the 5th wheel turned over to raise it. Tows fine, then but I haven't asked him how it does with a cross wind.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #17

Quote:
I understand...but do you maintain a gap of 5-6" clearance between bed rail and fifth Wheel extension when level? If so, what is the distance from the ground to your fifth wheel extension? What is the distance from the ground to the top of your bed rail?

thanks
Bed rail is 53 1/2.......I have 6" clearance, but can't measure trailer today
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #18

That is a possibility

I am going to the Toronto RV show tomorrow and meeting with Grand Design.

I will discuss that possibility...but I am also concerned about raising the "Center of Gravity" and handling as you say.

Thanks

Don
Old 10-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Bed rail is 53 1/2.......I have 6" clearance, but can't measure trailer today
My bed rail is 59 1/2 or so...that's the problem!
Old 10-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #20

I didn't want to raise mine, then you have step problem, and limb's and etc to really be on the look out for......not a bad job to do thou, if you have leaf spring type axles....I don't..
Old 10-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #21

I have a sawsall.....lol.....
Old 10-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #22

You can purchase the rear blocks from a 2016 and gain about an inch and a half. This is well documented on the FTE forum.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #23

Quote:
My bed rail is 59 1/2 or so...that's the problem!
My bed rail is 64" empty. Have a 2015 Denali draw 6" lift and 35" rubber. Tow a 2015 42' Redwood that sits level with nothing other than centerpoint air suspension added to it and have 6" bedrail clearance. Be fore doing anything hook onto the trailer and see where it sits. You have adjustment in the high and pinbox to get your clearance. Then you can see if the trailer is riding level. All the new trucks are higher and as mentioned previously a little nose high Will not hurt anything
Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #24

This is the problem with mid profile 5ers generally. In order to keep a decent ceiling height in the bedroom they are forced to keep the over hang low. Full profile 5ers aren't as bad since the front cap is taller.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #25
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We looked at the Reflections and thought it might be a problem so ended up going with the Glacier Peak for that and afew other things. We have 7-8 inches off clearance. Friends of ours have a new Ram dually towing a Solitude and there is enough clearance.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:51 AM   #26

Wow...DH and I didn't even realize this would be an issue. We purchased our 2018 Open Range Roamer and will be purchasing our truck to tow in Jan -Feb and never thought about truck and trailer heights. Glad I saw this post. Will definitely make sure we get a truck that has the right clearance.
chrispaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #27

I ran into similar issue with GMC 2500HD. Solution was to have solid steel blocks installed on 5th wheel between axle and bottom of spring. Had to drill inset in blocks to accept pin from springs.
odm2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #28

Excel Owners Club
I have a Ram dually Mega cab and my rear bed rail was 59" high. I noticed that there were 3 spacers between the axle and the the spring pack. We removed these and lowered my rear to 57". We put them on top of the spring pack so I did't have to get different U bolts and I wouldn't lose my spacers. I was also worried about trailer to truck bed height. I had the truck aligned after and all was fine and they didn't have to change anything.

I don't have my ordered 5er yet so will have to wait till I can pick it up. I'm scheduled for my walk through this coming Wednesday.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel