Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #1

Angry 2017 F250 Too High for a 5th Wheel

I bought a 2017 F250 Diesel and while I paid attention to load carrying capacity , I screwed up in that the truck is about 59 inches high at the side of the box. A fifth wheel trailer from Grand Design was about the same height, so no realize that the truck has a lift kit in it from the factory. Perhaps because I go the 20 inch wheel package...but not sure.

I friend looked in at the rear axles and notices there is a tall spacer, so says I just need to get it removed and have the truck lowered so that there is about 4 inches between the bottom of the trailer and the side of the truck.

What a pain...I thought I was checking everything but I goofed on that part.

Has anyone run into that problem and was it fixed easily??

I attached a couple photos..hopefully they display[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	896
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	179556   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).png
Views:	889
Size:	685.9 KB
ID:	179557  

Click image for larger version

Name:	59 Inches from Gound.GIF
Views:	884
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	179558   Click image for larger version

Name:	F250 Too High.GIF
Views:	834
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	179559  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #2

6" is the recommended clearance.....Do to hitch in truck height, I lowered my truck and raised the pin box to level out the trailer....cost me nothing ...

Old 10-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On level ground with the trailer level front to rear, what is the measurement from the ground to the bottom plate of the pin box? Take that and subtract the measurement of the truck on level ground to the top of the hitch. The difference is the sitting position of the pin on the hitch. Then add in the box height from the top of the hitch. You should have 4-6" or more when done.

Your truck is the same as my F350 in the rear. Unless your pin box is not as long, you shouldn't have to monkey with the spacers in the truck. Can you adjust the pin box down enough to gain the clearance,and still have the trailer level when towing? Important for tire and brake wear.

Good luck on this.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #4

You also have to remember that the truck lowers when you put the weight of the trailer on it. It will be sitting at least 4 inches lower just due to the weight of the trailer.Make sure you have 6 inches between rail and bed. 4 will cause a problem when articulating on uneven ground. I couple of inch nose high is nothing to worry about. Hook it up see what you got before worrying about changes.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #5

This is a fifth wheel....weight doesn't change distance ....hitch is solid in truck, and pin box also solid....it is what it is....
Old 10-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #6

I've sounded the alarm on this a couple of times in various posts and most members just roll their eyes. Could have been worse, an F350 SRW 4X4 is a little over 60" at the tailgate.

Your truck will squat maybe 2". Possibly look at Lippert Correct Track system which will give you 2" of trailer lift. Then if you tow 2" nose high you will have 6" of clearance.

The option of lowering the truck has been addressed here before and most advised against it. Good luck. Nice looking truck.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #7

I have zero issues with my 12 Ram 2500 and my Fox Mountain. Truck is 59.5" to the top of the bed. 5er is 1/2" high in the front. Almost 6" of clearance. Shop around for a different 5th wheel that will work.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
This is a fifth wheel....weight doesn't change distance ....hitch is solid in truck, and pin box also solid....it is what it is....
The truck bed rails drop with the springs as the weight is applied and the rail clearance increases.

I was completely convinced I was going to have problems with my 2014 Ram and 2016 5th wheel but it came out with 7-8" clearance. Newer 5th wheels are designed for newer trucks. OP doesn't state the year but I'm guessing since it's a Grand Design it's somewhat new. I'd at least hitch it up and evaluate before going too crazy.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #9

As been suggested, try it before you change things. I have a '17 F250 and it fits under my '18 Durango just fine. My Durango came with "flipped" axles, so that might be an option if your GD isn't as equipped.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:31 AM   #10

An update

Thanks for all the feedback. I have to say the forum is amazing to get some much advice and opinion..all very helpful.

Here is a link that better describes the issue. https://www.etrailer.com/question-223394.html

I am looking at a Grand Design Reflection 5th Wheel, so will call them today.

I'm also waiting for Ford Dealer to get back to me on the "lift kit" that came installed on the truck but I can't seem to figure exactly why? I did get the 20" wheel option but there is a ton of clearance around the wheel wells.

Will update when I get more information.

Also going to the Toronto RV show tomorrow, so will be measuring a bunch of 5th wheels brands to see what the distance generally is between the ground and the overhang of a fifth wheel.

One step forward, two steps backwards.

Thanks

Don:
Old 10-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #11

I don't mind re-posting this as I am the one that wrote it to begin with:

"I went to a local RV show with a tape and measured the height off the ground of the bed overhang of many leveled trailers. They ranged from 59" to 62" with the norm being around 60".

On the way home I stopped at a couple of dealerships and measured 2017 trucks' tailgate heights. The trucks are new and are 4X4 as none had 2WD models on their lots.

Ram 3500 4X4 SRW - 59"
Ram 3500 4X4 DRW - 57"
Ford F350 4X4 SRW - 60 1/2"
Ford dealership did not have a dually

What gives? Do buyers of new trailers have to have them lifted right off the lot to fit a new truck and allow bed clearance or are they just going to tow really nose high? I suppose the 62" high trailer behind the dually and some truck squat could be made to work. Maybe the overwhelming recommendations of 1 ton SRW trucks should take the extra 2" of bed height into consideration.

Frustrating for me as my 5er overhang is at 54" and would hit the middle of their tailgates."

Responses ranged from I don't know how to read a tape to " I put a 60" overhang 5er on a 60" tailgate truck and had 7" of clearance while towing level". Please report back as I am hoping Trailer manufacturers are starting to make higher overhang trailers.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
The truck bed rails drop with the springs as the weight is applied and the rail clearance increases.

I was completely convinced I was going to have problems with my 2014 Ram and 2016 5th wheel but it came out with 7-8" clearance. Newer 5th wheels are designed for newer trucks. OP doesn't state the year but I'm guessing since it's a Grand Design it's somewhat new. I'd at least hitch it up and evaluate before going too crazy.
IF the truck sinks any when connected to trailer, and it will, the trailer will follow at the same rate....trailer to rails remands the same......can't spread apart
Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
IF the truck sinks any when connected to trailer, and it will, the trailer will follow at the same rate....trailer to rails remands the same......can't spread apart
The Grand Design Model is a 2018 Reflection 337RLS.

How many inches does your truck squat when connected? if more than a few inches, how far off level is it?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #14

My truck squats 1"...I bring trailer, and truck, back to level with air shocks......

"

Tags
5th wheel