Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2018 Ram 3500 RW SB Which hitch for Elkridge 31RLK

Information a hitch for my 18 Ram 3500 srw sb crew cab. Any \one use a Reese goose box or a Demco Recon and a Reese sidewinder? Wanting something that can be removed easily. Thanks
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

I'd do some measuring first.....from pin to ground with trailer level, then from inside bed to ground.......then whichever hitch you decide on, you might not need to raise or lower pin box.....and at a minimum, you'll need 6" of bed rail clearance.....Sidewinder is good...gives you 22" of more turning clearance, but also requires a little maintenance and the custom wedge.......the wedge is pinbox specific.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #3

I would already have a Reese Goosebox, but they don't make one for my pin box. My B&W Companion is doing just fine though.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #4

I use a Demco Auto Glide with a TrailAir pin box for my needs. I have a Dodge/Ram 2008 Mega Cab which uses a short bed. The hitch come apart in two pieces and can be removed easily. The base is heavy but it only takes four pins to be removed and than the base can be removed from the standard rails that I use.

I have used this set up for a year now and am extremely please with the performance of said hitch an pin box.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfgrf View Post
Information a hitch for my 18 Ram 3500 srw sb crew cab. Any \one use a Reese goose box or a Demco Recon and a Reese sidewinder? Wanting something that can be removed easily. Thanks
Hands down the GooseBox provides the most convenient setup as well as an excellent ride. The drawback I see is your short bed. Many SB owners tow with the pin located at the designated spot (just slightly ahead of the rear axle) without incident, but of course this requires much greater attention when backing.

I have a long bed and love the GB!

There are offset adapter GN balls available which will move the pin closer to the tailgate if you are not comfortable with SB pin location.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfgrf View Post

Your question is a little confusing, two of the quoted solutions are Pin Boxes, one is a hitch. The short bed is going to limit your options, normally I would have said use the Goosebox but the SB may present a problem with cab clearance and/or tailgate. I use a Sidewinder for my SB but I use an energy absorbing hitch that is NOT easy to remove. The Recon is just a lighter weight hitch that might be easier to remove but will you have cab clearance issues? Additionally, you will have chucking with the Recon and the stock pin box, the light weight hitch will make the chucking seem more significant. You may want to do something like use a MorRyde Orbital Pin Box with the Recon to dampen the chucking and give you the turning angle benefit of the Orbital for your SB truck.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote