Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #1

We bought a used Crossroads 5th wheel and the ONLY thing we have had an issue with (and it was that way when we bought it) was the microwave did not work. The one we replaced when we bought it made a grinding noise. We bought a new microwave the same size as the old one and installed it. The first trip out we were microwaving potatos or potatoes (depending on your voting preference ) the window fogged up and made a kind of low voltage sound. Hard to explain. The wife thinks it is because the microwave mounts in the wall and has a side vent. She says that RV microwaves should mount out the front. There is a hole in the cabinet where the vent is and I assume that it what the hole is for. Can she be right? . Before we buy another one I would like to find it anyone has had the same problem. I originally thought that it was the RV park we were staying in with low voltage outlets but it does the same noise at home. I am stumped.

Retired Army Ranger
2000 Crossroads All American
97 Dodge dually 12 valver
Wife with armpit piranha will travel
retired_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #2

We bought a used Crossroads 5th wheel and the ONLY thing we have had an issue with (and it was that way when we bought it) was the microwave did not work. The one we replaced when we bought it made a grinding noise. We bought a new microwave the same size as the old one and installed it. The first trip out we were microwaving potatos or potatoes (depending on your voting preference ) the window fogged up and made a kind of low voltage sound. Hard to explain. The wife thinks it is because the microwave mounts in the wall and has a side vent. She says that RV microwaves should mount out the front. There is a hole in the cabinet where the vent is and I assume that it what the hole is for. Can she be right? . Before we buy another one I would like to find it anyone has had the same problem. I originally thought that it was the RV park we were staying in with low voltage outlets but it does the same noise at home. I am stumped.

Retired Army Ranger
97 Dodge dually 12 valver
Old 09-14-2006, 12:07 AM   #3

We have had the same problem recently. We just thought it was shoddy workmanship on the microwaves, but now you got me wondering.

Let me know if you figure anything out. I guess I could cut a hole into the dish cabinet beside the microwave and put a fan in there to suck air out and get it circulating. The wife would love that

03 Toyota Tundra V8
radshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:38 AM   #4

Radshooter,
I actually am thinking of doing that. There is a doorknob size hole already there for wiring but not near enough cirulation for an enclosed box. I am thinking of cutting a 12inch scquare in the cabinet or mounting the microwave under the cabinet (our alpenlite was like that and never got hot) and using the cabinet for more space. I am surprised that we are the only ones that have had this problem. Will let you know what I do. Thanks for the reply.

Retired_Army_Ranger
97 Dodge Dually 12 valver
Old 09-14-2006, 10:54 PM   #5

Guess what.....Our microwave crapped out on us again tonight. I think it is heat related. This one has done it a couple times now. It only dies when we use it a lot in a short time. Like heating multiple things for a meal. The wife said she had it on for a total of maybe 20 minutes in a 30 ro 45 minute time-span. About an hour later after it had cooled good, it started working again. I think we will start shopping for another microwave.

Is there a difference in a countertop unit and a built-in unit????

Good luck.

03 Toyota Tundra V8
radshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 AM   #6

Really stupid question. Did you vent it??? I mean are you really sure that the vent whether to the inside or the outside uncovered?? Originally on my trailer it was vented to the inside, I made the dealer vent it to the outside and have not had any problems. But after installing a new one in the house recently I do know that built in microwaves have a plate that needs to be set depending on if you vent inside or outside. Bet you did not change the vent plate!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If I may step into the conversation and ask a couple of questions I might be able to shed some light on the subject as I have installed and repaired microwaves for many years prior to RVs. Is the microwave you are installing in the cabinet a counter top unit? Is the cabinet opening larger than the microwave by at least a couple inches in height? In needs to be for the proper operation as you have seen. If the unit is, what in the industry is a "microhood" then it mounts under a wall cabinet and no clearance is necessary. If you have the room you can, if need be, cut the opening to be larger and buy the available trim kit for the counter top/ cabinet install microwave that will both fit the hole and suit your requirments. Be sure that the microwave you purchase can be installed in a cabinet. If it state that it is for counter top use only, DO NOT INSTALL IT IN A CABINET. You must have good air flow across the magnatron tube or the thermal fuse could blow and render the unit inoperable. Follow installation instructions.
Proper voltage is important too but only for the rated wattage output. It will still cook on a lower voltage but at a reduced wattage. The small fan motors used in these will not be shorted lived by low voltage for the periods of time they are used as they are impedance protected motors. Good luck and take care.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote