Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #15

havn't cked the specks but 4wd dodges look lots taller to me. I am in the back country all the time. My 2wd dodge is heavy on the front and gets stuck at the drop of a hat when empty. I carry a 4 inch snatch strap and a good cell phone. I know when I am stuck and do not keep digging. In sand if you lower the tire pressure to 10psi, you can walk right out. Stuck in the mud once and a jacked up 4wd with 33s tried to pull me out. He was stuck before he could get near me. Have 4wd jeeps and 4wd repair shop since 1964. Chose a camp spot for my 5r on the Denali hwy AK (20 veh a day cross it) I walked down the steep gravel grade going down to it and decided had a 80% chance of pulling out. The day I decided to pull out, I got my snatch strap out and ready to use. Turns out it spun a small bit but she came up the grade fine. Would Have Set At top of trail with snatch stap and thumb out had I not made it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #16

Have had 4X4's almost as long as I can remember. Would never be without one! For obvious reasons, in my part of the country it's almost a necessity. Don't use it that often, however, it's a "life-saver" when you unexpectedly sink into soft ground, spin out on a wet boat launch, etc.

My current TV is a F350 SRW 4X4. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #17

Thanks for all the information. I guess I need to get what will serve me the best. I currently have 1500 2wd and have never been stuck. Should have said in initial post that I live in TN and plan to do most of my traveling in the south.
Bob
Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
havn't cked the specks but 4wd dodges look lots taller to me.
An equivalent 4WD Ram 3500 dually is about 4" taller at the top of the tailgate than my 2WD dually - one of the many advantages of the 2WD when it comes to towing a 5th wheel RV.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
JDT

Ours is 2wd and does just fine for the way we use it. I wanted all the capacity I could get out of a single rear wheel one ton and not getting the 4wd helped. The only way I could get one was order it. I know most folks will say you get more at trade in time for a 4wd, which is true, but you also pay more for it when you buy it.

The issue I think I will have is maybe a hit when I do trade as 2wd diesels are not too popular around here, even though our weather rarely calls for the need. When the time comes I will probably try to sell it myself and advertise it is a tow vehicle.

What you need depends on how you will use it.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #20

Do you own a 5er yet? If not, do you know for sure what the weight of the 5er will be? If not, you're putting the cart before the horse. Don't get a tv until you know what payload capacity and GCWR you need. While I recommend 4WD, the added weight can put you over the payload rating, depending on the weight of your 5er, passengers, tools, etc

That said - I have a 4X4 for a couple of reasons
  • I still w@$k and use it as my daily driver, so for our Minnesota winters I would not be without 4WD in a truck.
  • In the last 2 years (I would go back farther than that but my CRS doesn't let me) I have had to use 4WD 4 times due to rain that softened the sites and made the grass very slick - try towing uphill on wet grass and soft turf without 4WD. Or backing into a site under the same conditions without 4WD.
Jim
Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #21

Bottom line is I do NOT have a 5er yet but I don't need it yet, for couple more years at least. However, I need a truck very soon..within next 6-9 months. The payload I am looking to pull is 13-13.5K. I will not live in it but do hope to get a lot of use out of it. My TV will also be my every day vehicle.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #22

We already had a 4wd TV when we bought the FW. I've actually had to put it in 4wd on two occasions where I didn't have enough traction to move. So, I guess it comes down to what environment you're going to use you trailer.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I have never owned a 4x4, and never needed one. Even for hauling my kids up the Rockies to the ski slopes west of Denver for several winters when they were teeny-boppers and teenagers. My E-150 rear wheel drive 4x2 with open rear diff did the job if you know how drive. And my current pickup with E-locker rear diff means I'll have even less use for 4x4. For most conditions, with the E-locker diff locked, I can go almost anywhere in conditions that previously required 4x4 for most drivers.

New Ford pickups have had optional E-Locker rear differentials for a few years now. Darling Daughter and SIL just bought a new F-250 4x4 with E-Locker rear diff, so they'll be almost unstoppable in even the worse conditions.

4x4 low range is an excellent aid in pulling a heavy boat trailer up a steep slick ramp, or in backing a big 5er up a steep grade and around a corner to park it. I don't "need" 4x4 to do that, but it would be nice.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #24

I tried to find a 2 to 4 year old 2500 Duramax with 2wd. I discovered that here in the midwest, they are almost nonexistent. I ended up getting 4wd even though I don't really need it.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
The issue I think I will have is maybe a hit when I do trade as 2wd diesels are not too popular around here, even though our weather rarely calls for the need.
My 11-years-old 4x2 diesel I bought new sold in a heartbeat, for more than "book" price, as soon as I mentioned that I might sell it. It had 197,000 miles on it, but it was cared for its whole life by a "car nut", never abused. It had a BTS rebuilt transmission, DP-Tuner towing tune, and Mobil 1 ATF in the tranny. Oil had been changed at 5,500 mile intervals or less, and no codes were showing. The clincher was a log book that showed the date and amount of every penny spent on the truck since new, including fuel, oil changes, ATF changes, coolant changes, brake job, pinion seal replacement, etc.

To sell yours, when the time comes, drive it to where it rarely snows and rarely has any mud to worry about. Anywhere west of Abilene TX and south of I-40. If it's in good mechanical condition with clean body and interior, the wholesale value in Midland, El Paso or Tucson will probably be more than the retail price in the snow or mud country.

It still won't be worth as much as a 4x4 with the same miles/condition, but you don't have to put up with dealers who expect you to give them your old 4x2 truck.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Technology way over my head with all those numbers Jim
Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #27

Location: BINGHAMTON NY. FLORIDA, OR WHERE WE HAPPEN TO PARK.
Glad I had it last Monday in Charleston DC. Mud on top of Mud. Happy camping. Dave
Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I currently have 1500 2wd and have never been stuck.
Completely different weight distribution. That 1500 doesn't have the weight of a monster diesel engine sitting in the front. My 1st diesel pickup was a 1982 2WD 6.9L diesel. It had LS axle but would get stuck anywhere, slick spots, spongy pastures, trying to back up on an incline on loose material, or any number of off road situations. The front end would just sink while the back tires just spin. IMO, a 2WD diesel is much worse for getting stuck than a 2WD gasser.

If you have no desire to get off the beaten path or go anywhere there is a risk of getting stranded, a 2WD will definitely pull just as good as a 4WD. I recently drove my 4WD dually all over Big Bend NP and BIG Bend Ranch SP sometimes 20 mi in on 4WD roads. I just like to see whats on the other side of the hill.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote