Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
2wd or 4wd for TV?

I am in my planning/research phase on buying a TV (2500 or 3500 SRW). All things considered which do you think is best 2wd or 4wd and why?
Thanks for the information

bgall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by bgall2 View Post
I am in my planning/research phase on buying a TV (2500 or 3500 SRW). All things considered which do you think is best 2wd or 4wd and why?
You will get a lot of opinions on this. Here's mine. I will never ever own a non 4WD vehicle again. Better to have it and not need it than ........

I have been purchasing diesel pickups since the early 80's for myself, and for the company the last 20 years. One time we traded two identical trucks, equally trimmed and condition, one 2WD and one 4WD. The 4WD had 256K and the 2WD had 180K. The 4WD fetched $2500 more trade-in than the 2WD, even with higher miles. I think, due to the demand for 4WD trucks, you get most if not all the $$ back at the end.

Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
You will get a lot of opinions on this. Here's mine. I will never ever own a non 4WD vehicle again. Better to have it and not need it than ........
Same here. Where I live and what I do with the truck pretty much eliminates 2wd.

Your needs may be different, getting away from it all to areas with a bit of sand, mud, wet grass, long steep Forest Service roads? Then 4wd for sure just for the peace of mind.

Going from Rv park to Rv park over highways and secondary roads? Then you can get by with 2wd.

IMO the initial cost and small weight/fuel mileage hits are more than made up for in the security of not being stuck in a spot that got muddy overnight and the ability to get back in the boonies with ease.

And as mentioned 4wd truck seem to sell faster and for more money on the used market.
The above post is just my experience/opinion which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
It all depends. If you're going to be going off-road, traveling where you need 4WD, etc., then get 4WD. Personally, I've been towing 5th wheels with 2WD duallies since 1996 by choice - I specifically ordered the last 2 trucks equipped the way I want them. And, no, I've never been stuck (or anything close to it). Being down here in Texas and not off-roading my 5th wheel, I have little use for the extra weight and complexity of 4WD, transfer cases, additional U-joints (or CV joints) in a steer axle, etc. If it's not there, it weighs nothing, doesn't need maintenance and it can't fail.

As I said, get what you need (or want), but don't be fooled into thinking that a 2WD truck cannot tow an RV quite successfully - there are a lot of us in the South that do it routinely.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #5

I currently own a 4WD Dodge 6.7 liter Diesel dually. I bought the 4WD because we own a cabin in Tahoe that sits at about 7900 feet elevation. I bought a dually because it can carry the towing weight of the 5er and have more stability over a single rear wheel TV. In winter I need 4WD at that elevation. Truckee gets the highest average snowfall of anywhere in the U.S.

That said, if you are concerned about tow ratings and trailer weight, 4WD actually decreases max tow capacity because of the added weight of the transfer case and extra drive shaft. I would actually prefer a 2WD because of the added fuel economy, weight capacity and added service costs 4WD requires.

Sales prices are always higher on used 4WD trucks but because of added service costs and decreased fuel economy of the 4WD, 4WD is actually slightly more to drive over its life even with the added resale value added in.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Originally Posted by bgall2 View Post
What do you have now? If its 2 wd have you needed 4wd? If its 4 wd how much have you used it? Only you can answer that!!! I tow with 2wd and haven't need 4wd at all. I have owned three 4wd trucks and when i bought my current truck i asked myself they same question and answered it with 2wd. Hope this helps.
07 jayco 314 bhds
Friendswood, tx
lx22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
I have backed into a site that sloped away from the road and spun the tires trying to pull forward. Without 4WD I would have needed help. Even wet grass can render 2WD almost useless. But even though, I live in Vermont, I talked to an old farmer who claimed he doesn't see the need for 4WD.
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
I have been to several state and army corp of engineers lake where we had to use FWD to push the fiver up a incline on gravel approaches. My last 2 wheel drive pickup was a 1979 model. Winters can get nasty here also. I have found it really doesn't cost much more to own and maintain a 4X4 then it does a 4X2. Around here you are hard pressed to even find any two wheelers on the lots. All the farmers and oilfield people buy is four wheel trucks.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Forest River Owners Club
Having four-wheel drive usually makes four-tires-down towing hook-up simpler and easier. Not many automatic transmission vehicles can be towed four-down if not four-wheel drive. And DW don't want a standard transmission. I would rather have a four-wheel drive automatic vehicle rather than one with two-wheel drive and a standard transmission. I have never needed the four-wheel drive, but it's nice to know it's there if I do.
Chillbilly - Maryville, TN - Forest River Rockwood 5th Wheel - Ford F250 - Semper-Fi
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Don't have it don't miss it with my dually
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
A limited slip rear end will help a lot. I lived in the East where 4WD was useless in winter because the roads were clogged with stuck cars in winter. In the West we have been snowed on in May.

Wet grass, loose gravel, and snow and mud can get you stuck. If you don't need/use it regularly, keep the $3,000 for 4WD and put it aside for the tow, if you ever need it.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
My '97 Dodge dually, Cummins powered 4x4 is not my daily driver. I bought it new to tow and haul and get me out of the occasional snafu. It only has 102,000 on it and has performed without issue.
'92 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. Tweaked 5.9 Cummins, complete interior makeover (previous owner).
Coaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
We have 4WD but only because we bought it used and that's what it's got. I guess it would all depend on where you live and where you are camping. I can't really see the need for it for us. We also have an AWD Subaru. DW had to have it for going to work in case we have bad winter and snow. In 6 years, have never really needed it. In 10 years of owning an F150 2WD, have never once needed 4WD.

And I would say it depends if it is a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton truck. In some cases, if you have an extended or crew cab, long box, canopy and other options/upgrades, the extra weight of the 4WD related components *could* affect what you can put in the truck or tow from a payload perspective.

There's added maintenance cost in the long run for 4WD. Locking hubs, vac. hoses, seals, transfer case, etc., etc... The locking hubs in our '09 F250 are worn out. That can be upwards of $500 bill right there .
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
You either need a 4wd or you don't. Now having said that I have both.
I travel dirt and gravel roads. I'm on a muddy worksite or out in a pasture where a 2wd simply don't get'r done.

For my use the one thing that is mandatory for any 2wd or 4wd truck is a factory limited slip/factory locker (yeah I know the difference). I would never own a truck without it

'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote