Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 04:54 AM   #85

[QUOTE=Bertrrr;4288783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
Sure it can tow it...but can it stop it. My guess would be "not well."

That's why there are brakes on the trailer too
Actually a very good statement. When GCWR is determined, the assumption is that the towed vehicle supplies its own brakes. So the tow vehicle only has to have brakes to stop itself.

Now the consideration is that the trailer brakes are controlled in almost all cases by one wire and the failure of that connection at the plug or connections to the brakes have a high occurrence leaving the tow vehicle to do all the braking.

That is when a tow vehicle with 10,000 lbs of brakes tries to stop 27,000 lbs of rig get into trouble.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #86

Those are small numbers compared to an 18k Truck Tractor with trailers at 80k gross and they don’t usually have front brakes. The trailers are depending on one air hose with multiple connections.
As for all the people looking up weights for liquids, I have had those numbers memorized for over forty years and used them daily in weight and balance calculations for aircraft and marine use. When I started there wasn’t a google.
Since you are so into posting all your numbers. How many can tell me off the top of your head what Daniel Fahrenheit used for zero? Remember no google.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #87

What about aviation low lead vs jet A vs auto gas vs diesel vs water vs salt water? All common liquids have different weights. Most people don't know av-gas still has lead in it to boost octane and for upper cylinder lubrication.

Question--What makes heavy water heavy?
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Those are small numbers compared to an 18k Truck Tractor with trailers at 80k gross and they don’t usually have front brakes. The trailers are depending on one air hose with multiple connections.
If the air connection comes apart the brakes are applied. If an electrical connection comes apart you are on your own.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Those are small numbers compared to an 18k Truck Tractor with trailers at 80k gross and they don’t usually have front brakes.
Front brakes on tractor have been mandatory since 1980.

Yes the one service brake air connection can break but that would invoke the emergency brakes, nothing like that on a RV trailer.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #90

If the service line is broken or leaking will not invoke the spring brakes until the reservoir pressure drops low enough, meanwhile little or no brakes. Front brakes on truck tractors are only mandatory for vehicles built after July 1980, not before. I can tell you though if you are backing down a hill with a loaded 10 wheel dump truck those front brakes will make your front wheels like skis, they lockup and and you can’t steer.
As for rv with electric brakes you could add a wire and switch to use the backup battery, which of course everyone keeps charged and replaced regularly.
Heavy water goes back to the Manhattan Project or possibly further, an isotope is used in place of the hydrogen.
I suppose you are right about people not knowing about the lead being used in 100LL , but the motoring public today for the most part probably doesn’t know lead was ever used in the first place.
I used a lot that avgas gas, I owned 1/10 interest in the fuel system and commuted in my plane to my business for over 10 years.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:20 AM   #91

I am glad this discussion has stayed within the realm of normal RVers.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisavaet View Post
Ain't it the truth though Mike! I grew up working with my dad in his shop and helping my brother work on his and his friends cars. I got a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology (machine shop and welding metallurgy instead of nuclear physics and Calculus 3!), worked in heavy metal manufacturing for almost twenty years, and have been a software engineer for almost twenty years now.

My most successful designs were those where I listened to the floor mechanics, electricians, tool and die makers, shop foremen, etc., then applied just a teeny bit of engineering on top. As long as I could take their ribbing me, and they could take as well as give it, we got along fine

By the way, it takes five engineers to change a light bulb; one to hold the bulb and four to turn the ladder.

Kate

WOW!

An engineer with practical application experience. That is every mechanics dream.

A real rarity.

Tags
5th wheel

« Luxe | DRV »