Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
30 amp cord

Has any fellow member changed the 30 amp pull out cord over to a plug in type on the trailer end?

Pave441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like a fairly simple mod, but why would you want to?

We carry a 30' 30-amp extension cord with us for those times when the 20' pull-out cord is not long enough.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

It sounds like a fairly simple mod, but why would you want to?

We carry a 30' 30-amp extension cord with us for those times when the 20' pull-out cord is not long enough.
Have to agree with this. Having had pull-out cords on my two previous TTs and now a detachable on my 5th wheel, I can't imagine why you'd want to change. The pull-out cords were much easier to stow than having to detach, roll up, bind, and store the detachable cord. Throw in that a would-be thief can't just unhook your cord and take off with it on the pull-out cords and they seem like a better solution to me.

cvhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
It wouldn't be hard. Pick a spot, drill a big hole for a twist lock receptacle, and drill. Just wire from the junction box where the current cord attaches, wire to the receptacle, and have an extra storage bay?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
If I remember right my old 86 Southwind MH had 1 no ATS, just plug in the power cord or the genny.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
I did and love it. When it is plugged in I don't have to worry about critters climbing the cord and entering my living space. To me it is just as easy to unplug and roll the cord and stow it. Than to push it in the the hole especialy whit it is cool out and the cord is stiff. All I did was remove the old cover and installed the new rv twist lock into the original hole sealed it up and have never looked back.
86bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
86 bigred,
Thats what I was looking at, keeping ants out. I havent had the problem yet, but would like to keep it from happening.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I'm just guessing here but from your post I get the feeling you might have accidentally yanked the cord off...like driving away and forgetting to un plug. If so, do you have a pix of what's left? There might be some other repair options.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
That would be a sight I was just asking the question seeing the 50 amp set up units plug in. I do not like the idea of having to mess with the cord in cold weather. It gets stiff and makes it hard to push back in at times. The park that we go to has problems with ants. I have been lucky with the ants not getting on the cord and making their way in. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes did it , remember to get the correct voltage and current plug, a nema L5-30 twist lock is the same as the TT30 and the end of your cord, weather tight cap for the box side a end with a gasket seal for the cord end, I also made an extra long one out of so cord because it is a lot more flexible that the plastic factory cord, now on mine the existing hole was to big to mount the recepticale, so I had to mount it to a small square piece of plexiglass, of, when you but the ends remember to get the plug as the female and the recepicale as the male, Incase you dont know, black wire goes to gold screw white wire goes to silver screw and green to green.
Mike & Becky
2005 Gulfstream Crescendo 8356
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
I changed it out on our Cougar 5th wheel. I bought a complete kit from R n R RV in Washington :
Detachable Power Conversion Kit, 30 Amp

Item Number: 19-0422
Wt: 2.65
UPC: 093344309151

SKU: 19-0422

Manufacturer part number: 30ARVKIT

GTIN: 093344309151

Very easy mod. Installed it in no time at all.
2008 F450 & 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5K Silver Fox Edition 5th wheel
Paul & Sheryl
SlyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
Like Sly Fox, I did the same mod on a previous Jayco. Paid a lot less for the kit though. It's on my list for summer projects, just not sure how high up the list at this point.

2003 Ford F-250 King Ranch 4x4 6L PSD
2012 Jayco 31.5FBHS
DW and an African Grey chatterbox
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote