Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

30 Amp Receptacle Replacement

My 30 amp setup is to say the least is "crapola". The Jbox is housed in a little 10"W x 10"H x 13"D cubbie hole on the back street side of the 5er and under it is the water pump (same size cubbie hole) and the cobweb of hoses (that's another story). Any way, I replaced the Jbox with the Progressive 30amp EMS system I took out of our former TT. Trying to get the last 8 to 10 inches of the cord back in the hole is a real job cuz the small size of the cubbie hole it's housed in. My question to you electrical experts. I would like to remove the inlet fitting where the cable slides into the 5er and replace it with a 30 amp outlet fitting so I can plug the cord into it and then unplug it and store it in the storage bin. What I'm looking for is one that is round & hopefully the same diameter (5 & 1/8) so it would fit in the same hole. Our RV stores here have nothing even close & I've been searching the internet but have not found anything yet. Have any of you done this mod and/or know of any outlets (stores) that might have anything close to what is in the side of the 5er. Any and all ideas welcomed.

Thanks
Milo

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried your local Lowe's, Home Depot or commercial electrical supply stores?

Good Luck,
Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

Amazon.com: ParkPower by Marinco 30ARVKIT RV Detachable Power Conversion Kit (30-Amp): Sports & Outdoors

or

Conversion kit, 30 amp w/ LED Inlet, white-RV

These are the standard kits used to do what you want. They are made to replace the outlet you likely have.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

How is the idea? ..What if I leave the original inlet receptacle there (pass thru) and cut the cord and put a female plug on the part that comes from the 5er and a male plug on the shore cord or vise versa and plug em together and just push the female plug back in the inlet and close the door when not in use or in motion. When both are hooked together it could be just inside the door to keep it from getting wet. You think that would work. Hope I explained it right.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnfool View Post
How is the idea? ..What if I leave the original inlet receptacle there (pass thru) and cut the cord and put a female plug on the part that comes from the 5er and a male plug on the shore cord or vise versa and plug em together and just push the female plug back in the inlet and close the door when not in use or in motion. When both are hooked together it could be just inside the door to keep it from getting wet. You think that would work. Hope I explained it right.
Or short it at the inside connection and buy an extension. Might be better then buying 2 plugs.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are looking to replace the box or port.. You can get a square one at most RV dealers, this is a locking box with a bit more room behind it for your hand to fit through the "Fingers" should you need to pull the plug through. Re-cutting the hole is easy. RV Power Cord Hatch | eBay
RV PARTS OUTLET

The round ones are smaller I see.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #7

On a previous Cougar we owned, I used the Marinco brand as stated in another post. Worked great, was way happier with a detachable type cord.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Or short it at the inside connection and buy an extension. Might be better then buying 2 plugs.
This is what I would do. Cut the existing cord to the length you want leaving the original plug on the end of the cord. Then use a standard 30 Amp RV extension cord to go from the trailer to the power pedestal. I considered doing this a few times to our last trailer, but I knew I was going to sell it eventually and did not want to make that modification, is case the next owner did not like it.

The Marinco setup I showed above is used as OEM by almost all the trailer companies. It is time tested on boats and RVs, and give a pro look. But, it is not what I would call low cost...
Old 04-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #9

30 Amp Replacement Outlet Finished

Here's a couple or 3 pics of the finished product. Thanks for everyones help & suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0416041318.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	60766   Click image for larger version

Name:	0416041318a.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	60767  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0416041318b.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	60768  
Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnfool View Post
You would definitely want your short cord in the trailer to have the male plug and the cord from the pedestal to have the female cord cap. If the cord from the pedestal had the male cap you would have the potential of exposed energized prongs
Old 04-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Uh DO NOT DO IT AS DESCRIBED.. NEVER use an outlet as an inlet..

Cords with male plugs on both ends (Well power cords at least) are called SUICIDE cords and for good reason.

I will give you two alternatives

First. Cut the cord (I mean with a hacksaw) perhaps 2 feet out from the RV (or just long enough that it hands say 8-12 inches above the ground).. Put a standard 30 amp POWER PULL style plug on the end of the cord.

Put the matching outlet on the part you cut off.

Now you only have 2 to 3 feet instead of 20-30, to shove back in the hole.

Option 2: Is a 30 amp INLET (Marinco) and outlet.. Far more expensive but weather resistant and very "RV-Standard".

But never ever use an outlet as an inlet.

NOTE that any RV store will have all the parts you need to do it right Most hardware type stores will have a TT-30 outlet and plug or pigtail as well

IF you do not want to cut the cord (hacksaw it) you can likely remove it as you have already done to install the EMS and repalce it with a 30 amp pigtail... Like then put the TT-30 outlet on the end of the cord (Convert it to an extension cord)

NOTE that I have done this myself.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #12

30 Amp Replacement Outlet

Ok ... Guess I need to explain what the pictures show. What I did was pull the mouse hole cover off and pull the cord out all the way and cut it off bout 8-10 inches from the EMS system. Attached the 8" cord to the 30 amp male outlet (black) & attached it to the RV & sealed it very good. Then I took the open end of the longer cord and attached it to a yellow 30 amp female twist plug & put a yellow waterproof cover on it. I left the original 30 amp male plug on it. So now I have a 25 foot long cord I just unplug & roll up. Really was very easy. I just had to use a plastic cutting board I cut in a 6 x 6 inch square as a backing plate to cover the existing hole (painted it black) . Reason I painted it black cuz all the trim & other fittings are black.

Milo
Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah "Male Outlet" is an oxymoron, Male is INLET, not OUTLET when it comes to High (more than 12) volts.. You can not connect an outlet (Like the twist lock on the end of a cord) to an outlet. Only to a plug or inlet.. A plug is an inlet.

Yes, I now it is confusing,, but Male = Inlet..

Just remember, it is where power ENTERS (comes into) your RV.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ah "Male Outlet" is an oxymoron, Male is INLET, not OUTLET when it comes to High (more than 12) volts.. You can not connect an outlet (Like the twist lock on the end of a cord) to an outlet. Only to a plug or inlet.. A plug is an inlet.

Yes, I now it is confusing,, but Male = Inlet..

Just remember, it is where power ENTERS (comes into) your RV.

Oh excuse me ...thought the male had the outlet & a female has the inlet .... my bad .... lol

Tags
replace, replacement