Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2014, 03:27 AM   #15

Just put more stuff in the front storage compartment, or get a chevy(not the optimal solution ) or a heavier trailer, that should do it. Lol!

Sorry to go off topic but how do you know who makes the axles? I need new hanger deals that the springs bolt to that pivot. Mine pops and creaks while turning and some interstate roadside truckstop garage said those were bad. They wanted to sell me new ones for 800$ but a quick Google revealed actual cost to be like 120ish but I never got them yet and forget the part number and technical name now :(

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Just put more stuff in the front storage compartment, or get a chevy(not the optimal solution ) or a heavier trailer, that should do it. Lol!

Sorry to go off topic but how do you know who makes the axles? I need new hanger deals that the springs bolt to that pivot. Mine pops and creaks while turning and some interstate roadside truckstop garage said those were bad. They wanted to sell me new ones for 800$ but a quick Google revealed actual cost to be like 120ish but I never got them yet and forget the part number and technical name now :(
Funny on the Chevy quote . My last 3 trucks were Dodge/Cummins and were the best trucks I've owned. When it came time for a new truck I thought I'd try the Chevy Duramax as I've heard great things about them from everyone I know. Plus it helps knowing the owner of the Chevy Dealership.

The axles under your trailer should have a metal band or some other identifying means attached to the axle, usually on the right side of the axle. It could even be stamped into the axle housing. My Brother in-laws Gooseneck has Dexter axles with a stailess band attached to the right side of the axles. I'll look at my Arctic Fox a little later and see where it's axles are labled as it has Al-Ko's.

Rich

Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1961 View Post
Funny on the Chevy quote . My last 3 trucks were Dodge/Cummins and were the best trucks I've owned. When it came time for a new truck I thought I'd try the Chevy Duramax as I've heard great things about them from everyone I know. Plus it helps knowing the owner of the Chevy Dealership.

The axles under your trailer should have a metal band or some other identifying means attached to the axle, usually on the right side of the axle. It could even be stamped into the axle housing. My Brother in-laws Gooseneck has Dexter axles with a stailess band attached to the right side of the axles. I'll look at my Arctic Fox a little later and see where it's axles are labled as it has Al-Ko's.

Rich
Thanks I'll check it out closer. Haha, yea I'm a ford guy myself, and they might actually sag most in the super duty 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to be honest cause the have the best unloaded ride but they compensate by being back end high unloaded so they still have the highest payload capacity of the 3. Chevys ride like a rock and if you don't care about that or lack of top model features and technology like what's in the ford platinums and whatever ram top end is then the duramax is very capable for sure from what I've seen. But if you're going top end the ford and dodge are by far nicer interiors with more goodies.

Half tons however are the opposite on sag and the ford is by far the best for towing and hauling heavy up to and even beyond its rated payload capacity and still staying level. Chevys and dodge sag from very light loads and get nose high quick because they have a slightly softer ride and are geared more to the mall crawler crowd.

Bad trade off if you ask me, I don't notice much ride diff myself but some swear by it, some people also think that they feel a softer ride between 18 and 20 inch rims where they have an extra little bit of rubber sidewall between them and the road which flexes at max maybe 1/4 inch if that when properly inflated. Ain't no one feeling that, I call BS, lol!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #18

SultanGris,
If you are talking about the spring eye-bolts, you need to talk to a spring/axle shop--brand of axles shouldn't enter into this, as the spring packs are generic, as are the eye-bolts. Probably your eye-bolt inserts are worn/gone--there are also 'wet bolt' kits that will allow for greasing these pivot points. Each spring pivot has a bolt to connect it to the hanger and there is a bushing around the bolt that is a wear point--this is probably where the noise is coming from.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:08 AM   #19

Too bad some on these forums want to knock others trucks. All three build an excellent truck and all three have had their share of problems.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #20

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
Very true Mobilelcastle Thanks
B&W Companion 5th wheel
M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
SultanGris,
If you are talking about the spring eye-bolts, you need to talk to a spring/axle shop--brand of axles shouldn't enter into this, as the spring packs are generic, as are the eye-bolts. Probably your eye-bolt inserts are worn/gone--there are also 'wet bolt' kits that will allow for greasing these pivot points. Each spring pivot has a bolt to connect it to the hanger and there is a bushing around the bolt that is a wear point--this is probably where the noise is coming from.
Joe
Ok thanks, yup took one apart and that bushing is shot.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
Too bad some on these forums want to knock others trucks. All three build an excellent truck and all three have had their share of problems.
They've all had problems and they aren't always all excellent, knowing what manufacturers had problems what year will help keep you from buying a problem vehicle. They are all capable and I said as much, they are not all equally or excellent however and that's quickly apparent if you check them all out instead of wearing blinders and thinking one is always better, cause that's not true. Sorry if I hurt your feeling by telling you the truth.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #23

I have read some your post. Why don't you give all of us a break.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
I have read some your post. Why don't you give all of us a break.
I have, I even apologized for hurting your feelings and you keep whining so there will be no further breaks given. If you have issue with a statement I've made stop whining and attempt to counter it, I've said nothing untrue.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #25

Hurt my feelings-lol. I could care less what you think about trucks. Why don't you blow your smoke somewhere else.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #26

You seem to care an awful lot, kinda butthurt about it even, lol
Old 10-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #27

Biggest issue we see is how tall the bed sides are. Causes a lot of problems for many of us.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #28

I had no problems with my f150, which had bed side chrome rails that stuck up another 4 or so inches, but I do have a gooseneck adapter which maybe has more stretch than the fifth wheel with companion hitch, I plan to get one soon so I'll find out. No chrome side rails on the 350 though and I have plenty of room now, plus I see a million fords pulling 5th wheels so I'd say you probably don't have it adjusted correctly if you're having an issue, there's quite a lot of adjustment possible that the average person doesn't even realize to be honest.

Tags
5th wheel