Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

38 foot Jayco

I recently acquired a Jayco Designer Series. The 5th wheel measured out to 38 feet. It came with no paperwork at all. I can't find the model number anywhere. I don't even know what year it is. The title is still in route from another state and the individual has not responded to emails. I'm hoping that someone here can help me out, I need parts.I Cannot find a single picture or information of any kind on a 38 foot version of this Jayco 5th wheel. The graphics match those of an 88 model year. I realize all this seems odd but the 5th wheel was 100 dollars and needs work but is mechanically sound. I could not resist getting this trailer. If anyone can help me with any info that would be great. Thanks =)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #2

Would have been nice to get some help. I'll look elsewhere

Old 05-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

I would call Jayco and give them the VIN number. They should be able to tell you exactly what it is. You also may try posting some pictures, may help someone here identify it. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
It would nice to see some pictures in order to offer help....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #5

thunderbird8,
Come on, not getting thousands of answers in less than a day is the norm for the type of questions you have asked. More details are needed. Pictures? Title enroute...good luck.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Ok so Joe, I apparently failed to articulate the question fully. What I wanted to know specifically, was where did Jayco hide the VIN number lol. My mistake. I was a little frustrated when I came here, and seeing 50 + responses on what yo buy first the truck or the 5th wheel kinda added to that, sorry.
So I have the title, found out it is a Crane 37 feet long. Now the laborious task of restoration. I will post a few photos just for giggles. I hope Jayco can help, sent them the info I had waiting to hear from them. With that I'm done sorry for being an idiot =)
Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #7

Ok,.. =( how do I post pictures?? I have bumch of boxes on the message reply that have question marks in them. They seem to be font related, not sure
Old 05-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #8

Sorry I was so short with you--just a hard question to help you with.
Only one of my friends has a Jayco--an '06--so can't help you with such and older one.
Glad you got the title, but confused more--Jayco or Crane? Never heard of a Crane.
I'm not good with posting pics, but some forums restrict them from new members til they hit a certain number of posts.
There is probably a "how to post pics" section somewhere in the info section, but haven't looked for it.
So you got an '88 fiver for $100?
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:12 AM   #9

No worries Joe =) I have a 1991 Jayco. Thought it might be 88 cause of the graphics. Anyway I looked up 1991 Jayco 5th wheels on NADA and it gave a list of models. The only thing close to the 38ft ( I measured bumper to nose) was a Crane 37 footer.
After getting that info I searched the web and found one for sale with pics. It was the same thing we have. The layout was just slightly different. Ours has two entries and a corner entertainment area in the salon. The price was 100.00, we were told come get it tonight and it's yours for 100 =). The axles are worth more lol.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:19 AM   #10

So far we've found one soft spot in the floor. The kitchen is a gut. Possibly the floor under the cabinets too. One slide out is really bad. The slides are rusted in the open position the outer wall ( the sided part with the sidingvand fender wells) has to come completely off and be rebuilt. The AC still works, even though it looks like Godzilla took a bite out of it. The fridge is questionable. I think it's shot, I haven't tried the stove or furnace yet. Someone butchered the waste pipes, apparently to hook it to a septic. All said, it's a handful but for 100 dollars even if I drop 3k in it, I think I'll still come out ahead =)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #11

It sounds like a satisfying project. We did not have the time or space to work on a used 5er so when we retired we bought new. I miss having my space be my own and I think this is a great chance to make something uniquely your own. A lot of work but good experience. Good luck. I'll watch for pictures.

JKN
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T
5 Wheel. full time
Old 05-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #12

For anyone else:

VIN is in three places usually. On the tongue/pin box into the metal frame. On the VIN sticker, on the front left sidewall. Or inside in a cabinet, usually kitchen, on older units. Newer ones have a VIN tag on the entry door now.

The 10th character of the VIN gives you year model.

Floor plan model is maybe on the federal VIN tag, front left sidewall. Maybe on the kitchen cabinet sticker. Maybe next to the main entry door, in sticker form.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
thunderbird8,
Over on the vintage rv forum, those guys are pretty good about answering questions. The length of these things is usually measured on the inside, so I would imagine that yours is a 35 or 36' model.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #14

Jayco Crane.

Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
38 foot, designer, jayco