Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #15

As mentioned, on a 6-point two of the points are the landing gear. The hydraulic landing gear is way faster than the electric. It also is sort of self-equalizing. If you park side-hill you will stay side-hill to unhook. All that changes when you go to leveling mode.

The Lippert 6-point locates the 4 jacks immediately fore and aft of the wheels. There seems to be more latitude for the Bigfoot 4 point.

I have never used a Bigfoot and know nothing about them except that they are well regarded. If I did not have hydraulic jacks I would likely look first to Bigfoot.

The Lippert system has the manual and automatic modes for leveling. Automatic requires that the front be lowered way down below level. Thus, when traveling, I stay hooked up and use manual mode. Drop the landing gear enough to slightly unweight the truck. Lower the rear jacks. The panel will tell you if you are low left or right, so hit the button to correct. The panel reads on Degrees so when it hits Zero, quit. Same for front to back.

There is an auto retract for the morning.

For longer term, lower the landing gear to get the truck unhooked and away. Hit the Autolevel and let it do its thing, but know there are pauses as it computes status. It will level itself.

We park for months at a time. Short of a lot of piers under the entire frame, it is about as stable as it is going to get. There is no slow bleed off of hydraulic pressure, it stays put for the entire time. The hydraulics are positive or operable in both the down and up modes, so no worries about a leg that won't retract unless you have total failure. Lippert has an emergency workaround, using a hex key and a battery drill to operate all hydraulics. I ought break the seal and check that one day.

This looks like a "can't lose" choice from my experience.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #16

I don't care whether you have the Lippert 6 way or the Bigfoot 4, or the standard electric front landing jacks and manual rear. If you want to take the shake out of the unit look into putting JT stabilizers on the unit. I put them on before I want to the Bigfoot when I had the electric front landing jacks, and it will take all the shake out of the unit. JT stabilizers has been bought out by Lippert, I just connected them to the Bigfoot. You will no longer need the 5th pin box stands.
http://lci1.com/jt-strong-arm

Brose38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #17

We have the JT arms from factory on the rear of our Teton. They do not stop all the movement in our unit.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #18

We had a 40 Foot 2011 Jayco Pinnacle 35LKTS.
Jayco did not offer a leveling option in 2011 so I installed the 4 Point Reico Titan Ground Control system that is all electric.
We fulltime and move about every 2 weeks year round and the system was great, very stable and performed flawlessly.
Cost of the system at the time we bought was about $2500, best money we spent.
It was not a fully automatic system, it had a remote control, but it was very easy and fast to setup.
We left the rear factory installed leveling legs on our Pinnacle and would use them with the Ground Control System if we were staying for a long term, with the rear legs down we in effect has a 6 point contact and were very solid.
Our current 5th Wheel has the Lippert Level Up as a factory option, it is a nice system and is automatic and we do get some movement in the rear, many owners have added the rear legs for better stability since the rear Level Up legs are fairly close to the rear axle.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
We have the JT arms from factory on the rear of our Teton. They do not stop all the movement in our unit.
I have them on the front and back with my Bigfoot, and had them on with the electric jacks on the front and rear before.
My DW had a bobble head doll in the kitchen when we first put them on, I came in to find her jumping up and down trying to get that darn doll to bobble again. It now sets on the dash of the truck to make her happy.
Brose38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #20

Another advantage of the 6 point.

I could set up in a spot with a sharp drop off at the rear. No having to pile up items to put down rear mounted supports. Being able to back all the way allowed room to open my awning (tree otherwise in the way).

wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #21

I believe that the decision by a manufacturer regarding 4-point or 6-point leveling systems has more to do with the type of jacks they want to design into their trailer than a frame-flex issue. The Bigfoot system has four jacks, each with it's own hydraulic pump and reservoir (which makes them easy to install aftermarket, also.) The Lippert 6-point system has a central hydraulic pump/reservoir that is fed all over the RV through hoses to each of the jacks. They may also use the central pump/reservoir to power some or all of the slideout rooms. With the Bigfoot system, the manufacturer could then use electric slide motors which would not be tied into the main jack hydraulic system.

My preference is for a non-Lippert product, and if possible, I would prefer to not have hydraulic hoses running all over the basement of my RV.

YMMV,

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
I believe that the decision by a manufacturer regarding 4-point or 6-point leveling systems has more to do with the type of jacks they want to design into their trailer than a frame-flex issue. The Bigfoot system has four jacks, each with it's own hydraulic pump and reservoir (which makes them easy to install aftermarket, also.) The Lippert 6-point system has a central hydraulic pump/reservoir that is fed all over the RV through hoses to each of the jacks. They may also use the central pump/reservoir to power some or all of the slideout rooms. With the Bigfoot system, the manufacturer could then use electric slide motors which would not be tied into the main jack hydraulic system.

My preference is for a non-Lippert product, and if possible, I would prefer to not have hydraulic hoses running all over the basement of my RV.

YMMV,

Roy

Couldn't agree more. Anything non Lippert has to be an improvement.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
I don't buy this at all. DRV is a top name and well known for their construction. They use a 6 point.

We like our 6 point very much.
My 4 pt on 2014 Dutchman Danali 286 rex works good if I level side to side with blocks when backing in to prevent leveler from raising wheels of the ground on one side. Had trouble at first until I figured out wire harness was backwards on rear landing gear. Unplugged harness and switched right and left. It was lifting wheels off the ground on the high side and getting body in a twist. Need to follow steps exactly as in instructions, or it will not work.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #24

A buddy of mine has a Heartland Bighorn 3875FB, just over 40' long, bath and half unit. His is eqipped with the 6 Point “Level Up” Auto Leveling System by Lippert I believe and let me tell you the way the legs are set with about a 5 degree outward lean at the bottom when deployed, you could hold a dance inside his 5ver and not put a ripple on anyones drink its that solid. When it comes time to replace our 5ver I will definitly be looking for the 6 point hydraulic level up option. No need for any sort of cross-brace strong arms to eliminate shake.
Cheers
Rick and Tina
Old 12-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
We have a 41 foot Cardinal 3800FL. When we decided to get a larger unit, it had to have a self leveler system. It has the 6pt Lippert. It works great. I now can set up in 15 minutes and be almost with no movement. My DW does not like any movement in the trailer.
Happy Wife
Happy Life.
Jester
jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
I don't buy this at all. DRV is a top name and well known for their construction. They use a 6 point.

We like our 6 point very much.
DRV uses the six jacks for a simple reason. They do business with Lippert, as do the majority of mfgs., and use Lippert frames and the six jack system is made by Lippert.

I had the four jack Bigfoot installed on my KZ Escalade Toy Hauler at their facility in White Pigeon, MI and they worked well. I now have the six jack Lippert and they work just as well. I haven't found enough difference between the two that makes me favor one or the other.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #27

I have a 40 foot with the 6 point system. We don't need any other stabilizers for the two of us. Never experienced the 4 point so can't comment on that
Old 12-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #28

I have the 4-point on my 39-footer and I'm heavy enough to challenge the system, but we also have cross braces at each of the 4 points. We're happy with that and we're full-timing.

"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote