Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #1

5 th Wheel Extended Stay RV

I just accepted a job as a travel RN. As soon as our house sells we are wanting to live in a extended stay 5 th wheel Full Time. We have a 1-Ton Diesel Pick up, so weight and size are not an issue. We have looked at 100's of 5 th wheels and every dealer has the best one available on the market. We really like the Jayco front living model. We also like the solitude by Grand Living, because of the storage. We would like to get one that is gel coat without decals. Any suggestions or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Linzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

The top new 5th wheels are Excel, DRV, and LifeStyle. These 5th wheels will have better insulation and a better more solid frame and better tires.

Used 5th Wheels add NuWa and Carriage.

These 5th Wheels are designed more for Full-Time use.

The 5th wheels you mention are good but do not have the frame and probably not the insulation but are ok for 'Extended Stay'.

If you looked at 100's of 5th wheels you probably have seen everything.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #3

We have had tow campers for family vacations, but not a Fifth Wheel. We are selling our home and planning on living in it year around so we absolutely want something nice and that is going to last a few years. Is there a web site that I can look to compare?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
"We have a 1-Ton Diesel Pick up, so weight and size are not an issue."

I thought the same thing. We purchased our F-350 SRW and thought we had it all covered until we started to add up all the weights. We make sure all our tanks are empty and we carry as little stuff as possible and we still are real close on all weights on our 40' Sanibel by Primetime.

Good Luck in your search.
murfie3170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #5

Check out these web sites:
www.kanasrvcenter.com/nuwa
Nuwa still has 2013 5th Wheels and warranty support.
Excel RVs: The Nations Top-Rated Luxury 5th Wheel - Excel RVs
Excel has 2014 Fifth Wheel with many different floor plans.

Hope this helps.
Good luck in your search.
Scott
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #6

When you get into the bigger, heavier 5th wheels. weight can most definitely be an issue. You need to make sure you are not overweight. Also stopping power. can you stop your whole unit or slow it down on an 8% grade without burning your brakes up?
I finally went to an HDT, carry a Smart car and pull a 40' 10 ton trailer
Scout1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

Thank you for your replies. I am thankful I found this site. I have already learned a lot from you all. Going tomorrow to check out the DVR. We fond a dealer 2 hours from here.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #8

FYI - DRV makes 3 levels. 'Tradition' is the bottom and is about in line with other manufactures top of the line 5er. (I do not recommend this unit).

Look at the DRV 'Mobile Suits' and if $$$ is not an issue look at the 'Elite Suits'. Both these units will come with the better frame, tires, and things that DRV are noted for.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #9

Why not try renting something while you still own the house?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #10

Go to RV Online and look at 5th wheels. There are some Newmars and Mobilsuites. A lot less than new.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #11

Shopping online first will help with the pricing knowledge.

RVTraderonline.com is great for comparison shopping/floorplans, etc.

PPLMotorhomes.com is a good site to price used units--they move a LOT of trailers/MHs

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #12

My first assignment is in San Antonio. My sister lives there so I will be staying with her until our home sells.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #13

We are waiting for a Medical Records Director position in Calif for the winter. We have a Brookstone 366 built by Coachman/Forest River. It has a great kitchen but all of them have problems. Ours is in the shop right now for new outside seals on the slideouts and serious roller problems on the bedroom slide. They are changing to better seals than the light weight ones. First suggestion don't go cheap, make sure the axles are at least 7000 pounds each that gets you better brakes and wheels. Quality is important the same brand trailer comes with several grades but all can have problems. Our trailer is tongue heavy, built with a huge storage compartment in the front and all light stuff in the back so it is easy to overload the truck. If you see cheap things like water filters, wheels, the cover under the trailer, cheap sinks and faucets and shower and toilet run like hell because you are buying problems.
Frankwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Whatever you choose MAKE SURE it is designed and constructed for FULL TIME use.If you buy new, make sure full time use is approved in writing and warrented for such. Full time use is severe duty and these rigs are built to meet that demand, Becareful of the Four Season claim. Four season simply means that the unit can be "used" in all four season. It may not mean Full Time. Buyer beware, the salesman will tell you anything. Take a good look at Excel, excelrvs.com. Designed for full time use,excellant after the sale service and support. Yes I'm biased but i did 4 years of reasearch before buying and am a proud satisfied owner.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote