Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

5 th wheel tires & rolling tire pressure

Hi all Steve Campion a newbie as of now. I need help understanding tire pressure applications and the like.

We (Mrs. Campion) and I own an Alpenlite Voyager and on the metal tag is stamped tire PSI 110 but below that is the specific tire data of ST/23580R16LRE. Isn't that a contradtiction? I've had two blow outs on one short trip and perhaps it is because I've been inflating to only 70 PSI.
I'm open to any and all info.

Thanks much

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcampion View Post
Hi all Steve Campion a newbie as of now. I need help understanding tire pressure applications and the like.

We (Mrs. Campion) and I own an Alpenlite Voyager and on the metal tag is stamped tire PSI 110 but below that is the specific tire data of ST/23580R16LRE. Isn't that a contradtiction? I've had two blow outs on one short trip and perhaps it is because I've been inflating to only 70 PSI.
I'm open to any and all info.

Thanks much
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what you see as a contradiction. I only see the one pressure mentioned... 110 lbs. How did you arrive at the figure of 70 lbs as correct for your rig?

I'm not a trailer guy and I'm sure some of our experts will chime in soon. I know there's debate with trailers over whether to use the mfg placard or to get the rig weighed and go with the tire manufacturers inflation tables.

I'll move your post from the new member check in to our Fifth Wheel forum where you'll get far more views.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
What's the maximum pressure shown on the tire sidewall? This will be shown in combination with the maximum rated load - i.e., XXXX lbs @ YY psig. An E-rated tire is normally 80 psig max, while a G-rated tire is good for 110 psig, so something certainly looks strange.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are the tires that blew out Carlyle tires? Just wondering as I have never had good luck with them when I had a trailer.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Most ST235/80R16s max psi is 80...as stated earlier, check the side wall for pressure.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #6

Is it possible that the trailor originally had G rated tires, but somebody replaced them with E rated tires? That could explain why the tag on the trailer conflicts with the label on the tire. It could also explain having blowouts.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Are the tires that blew out Carlyle tires? Just wondering as I have never had good luck with them when I had a trailer.
The tag on our 5 th wheel reads:
Cold Inflation Space: 110 PSI
Tire specificity Space: ST/23580R16LRE
And the only tire I have left from the OEM is my spare and the side wall reads the same as the above tire specificity.
Oh and no they were not Carlyles.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #8

No Joel and thanks for your reply. The info on the plate on the rig is contradictory. And as far as inflating the tires I didn't inflate them to the max (80) as I should have and that obviously could cause blow outs.

Steve C.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fotget what the plaque says, go with the max PSI is stamped in the sidewalls of the tires.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
What does the VIN plate give as the GVWR of the 5th wheel and the GAWRs?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #11

Hi Rusty that data is GVWR15,500 and the GAWR is 7,000 and again the tire specificity is ST/23580R16LRE and I understand the sidewall reading of that tire is Max 80 PSI cold and the Max Weight Single reads 3,520.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcampion View Post
Hi Rusty that data is GVWR15,500 and the GAWR is 7,000 and again the tire specificity is ST/23580R16LRE and I understand the sidewall reading of that tire is Max 80 PSI cold and the Max Weight Single reads 3,520.
There is no valid explanation for the certification label to give tire pressures for Load Range G tires unless they came as OE. Whoever printed that label made a mistake. A very unsafe one I might add and one that should have been reported to NHTSA.

The ST235/80R16E tires are legal for the 7000# axles only IF the vehicle manufacturer formally informed the DOT that they were being used and that their particular rating is 3520# at 80 psi. That’s because there are other ST235/80R16E tires rated below 3500# and they are not acceptable for the 7000# GAWR.

Name brand or design has nothing to do with it. You need to get new tires. A big heavy trailer like yours NEEDS at the very minimum some 16” LRG tires aired to the max.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #13

Thanks "Fast". I have already e-mailed the NHTSA explaining my situation and soliciting their recommendation. And perhaps I should send them a photo of the tire information plate. My brother-in-law a brilliant Mech Engr who also owns an Alpenlite (not as large) calculated that as long as I was rolling with 3520's my LRE's should not be cause for concern. And I trust him with my life as he is anal about almost everything. Having "said" that I'm still going to wait on the NHTSA's response. I don't roll again until late Aug and hopefully I'll have the additional knowledge that will convince me to buy LRF tires or keep what I have. An earlier post I related to pressures of 70-73 that was back before I accumulated the information that ya put the max 80 psi in the tires! Duhh!

Tags
tires