Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #1

We are fulltiming and purchased a new 5th wheel with 50 amp electrical service. How many of you carry an extra 50 amp cord in order to reach the power source.
With our previous trailer, we often needed to add a second 30 amp extension cord to reach the outlet. On our present RV Site that we have been at for 6 weeks, we had to use one of our old 30 amp extensions to reach the outlet. No big deal in this case, as there is only 30 amp service available.
Trying to decide whether to order an extension of either 15 or 30 ft.

Thanks, LIKENIT

1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
LIKENIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #2

We are fulltiming and purchased a new 5th wheel with 50 amp electrical service. How many of you carry an extra 50 amp cord in order to reach the power source.
With our previous trailer, we often needed to add a second 30 amp extension cord to reach the outlet. On our present RV Site that we have been at for 6 weeks, we had to use one of our old 30 amp extensions to reach the outlet. No big deal in this case, as there is only 30 amp service available.
Trying to decide whether to order an extension of either 15 or 30 ft.

Thanks, LIKENIT

1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #3

Likenit, our fiver is 50 amp also and so far we have not needed an additional 50 amp cord. In fact, most of the time we just use a 30 amp cord I purchased at camping world. It has a 50 amp twist lock on one end that attaches to the fiver, and the other end is the regular 30 amp male end for plugging into the campground post. It's just easier to manage than the big heavy 50 amp cord. For the rare occasion where I might need additional length, I do carry a second 30 amp cord, but so far the only place I have needed it was in my own driveway.

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #4

Sundevil,

Thanks for the reply. We have a Splendide Washer/Dryer and we have tripped the breaker many times at our present 30 amp site. With space heaters running and hot water heater, any additional load of dryer, vacumm, heat pump etc. trips the surge.
Maybe it would be better to just run on gas for heat & water.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #5

Likenit, I can see with all those appliances where you would be tripping breakers. Especially with the washer/dryer. In our fiver we have the same issues, but I don't have the Splendide on top of everything else. We have two basic circuits. One set of plugs in the kitchen and bath are on a GFI circuit. The other circuit powers the rest of the receptacles in the fiver. I have run two space heaters at a time on 30 amp service, but one was plugged into a GFI plug, and the other was on the other circuit. This has worked for us as long as nothing else is drawing power. Water heater and fridge on gas. If we use the microwave forget it. The heaters get turned off until the cooking is done. Even separating the load I have tripped breakers when the converter/battery charger was drawing too much juice. Unfortunately it becomes a juggling game in those circumstances. If I am in one of these situations and I have 50 amps available I will drag out the heavy cord and use it but it seems that 90% of the time we only have 30 amp or we are on generator power. Getting back to your original question, if weight and space is not a concern for your set up, an additional 50 amp cord would be good insurance.

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #6

A few days ago I read on another forum where this guy said he bought a 25', 50A cord off Ebay for $35. I never have checked it out.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #7

We bought one as we have been to a few parks that I needed the length. It also allows me to park the rig at the end of my driveway but still connect to the house. Anthony

lanwangeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #8

We are on 30 amp service and carry an extension just in case. We've only used it a couple of times but each time it was a lifesaver.
On the issue of tripping circuits, a little homework is needed to prevent this. And like Sundevil says it is a bit of a juggling act. One needs to determine the amperage of each appliance and do a little math. If the appliances you want to use total more than the 30 amps you have, then the juggling begins!
Safe travels,
Bob and Julie