Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
I know this may sound like a dumb question to you guys BUT....

Say you have a FW that takes 50A, what happens if you get to a site that only offers 30A? Or do all sites offer 30/50?

If I buy one with 50A .. am I gonna be always limited to only certain sites that offer this service?

Lots of posters answered this very well.

50 amp to 30 amp adapter for cg with only 30 amp at the pedestal.

When purchasing a new or used RV - *If* you have a choice - 50amp.
For the stuff you use - as well as resale sometime in the future.

You can always go "down" to 30, but not "up" to 50 - without serious (and expensive) mods to the RV.

10-9jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portert View Post
wa8xym is there a way to monitor the voltage to make sure it stays above? We also just got a 50A fiver and want to make sure we don't blow things up!
There are indeed ways to monitor the voltage..

You can get what we call a surge protector, since it is a 50 amp rig (30 amp folks make the obvious change) the Progressive Industries HW-50C is hard wired into your system and will monitor the voltage (And one or two other things) if it goes too high or low it will shut you off, If there is a power "Flicker" (had several of those here last summer) it shuts you off for like 3 minutes (more on that coming) The PT-50C is a portable unit, you plug it into either the park's 50 amp outlet or your dogbone's 50 amp outlet and plug the rig into it, Same features only more likely to walk off without permission.

Why the 3 minute flicker shut down? Gives air conditioners and other compressers time to relax (Bleed down so they start normally) and thus prevents burn out of the compressor motor.

The other way..(And I might add I use all the these, includign the above) is to use plug in volt meters.

I have a Kill-a-watt set on volts in one outlet This unit has a pss through feature so I do not even loose the use of the outlet.

Another outlet has an MFJ Line Monitor
MFJ Enterprises Inc.

I really like this one, nice soft backlight, and like the Kill-a-watt it has a pass through outlet

And I have an analog plug in meter from Camping world, about the same price as the MFJ but no back light and no pass through.

THe K-A-W is on an inverter powered outlet

The MFJ is one one of the two 50 amp mains legs
The CW meter on the other.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #17

My 5th wheel has an energy management system

The energy management system will not allow me to operate the second A/C and it will shut down the refrigerator and water heater..When on a 30 amp circuit the refrigerator and water heater will operate on LP...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #18

Good question & very good answers. My 1999 5W came with 50amp service, 2 ac. But many times I only used the 30 amp cord for two main reasons. The park might charge more for 50 amp service and 50 amp cords are just plain heavy. Great to have the 50 amps when you really need it, but think you will find there are still some advantages to the 30 amp cord.

F250 7.3,32' New Horizons FW
Ron1247 is offline   Reply With Quote