Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Heartland RV Club
5er leveling - just one axle?

I recently traded my mh (which miraculously leveled itself!) for a 5er, so am new to the "do it yourself" leveling process. I thought I was getting it, but maybe not. I've started seeing trailers and 5th wheels with leveling blocks under just one axle, sometimes on just on side of the rig. What am I missing? Is this something I need to consider when leveling?
TIA for your help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #2

With my 5ers, I always leveled with boards prior to disconnecting from the truck. The unit was much more stable than raising on the jacks alone.
JMHO. Much easier on the trailer frame too.
The 2x8s I used would raise one side of the trailer a bubble width on the level ; if I put the board under both wheels , if I only needed a 1/2 bubble to get to level , then the board only had to be under one tire.
NOTE: If you don't have an articulating head on your truck hitch you may need to put boards under the truck tires to get , un-hooked and hooked.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

I use the plastic leveling blocks I got from Walmart. They come in a carrying case and are stackable. Some people also get the cap for them - supposed to be easier on the tires (so they say). right now, the place I am staying (McGee Creek Lake near Lane Oklahoma) you do not need anything. They have a concrete slab in each parking spot that is level. That is one reason I go there instead of the river. Very unlevel there.
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

To get level in a campground, do whatever it takes to get the floor of the RV level, front to rear and side to side.

We usually worry about side to side first. Put the trailer about where you think you want to park it, then use a 4' carpenter's level to see if the floor is level side to side. If it's not level, then use lumber or Lynx blocks or something to put under the trailer tires to get it level. Whether you put the levelers under one axle or both doesn't matter as long as the floor of the trailer winds up level.

After you are level side to side, install wheel chocks to be sure the trailer stays where you parked it. Here's mine:
Ultra-Fab Chock and Lock Wheel Stabilizers for Tandem-Axle Trailers and RVs - Qty 2 Ultra-Fab Products Wheel Chocks UF21-001070

Then lower the adjustable part of the landing gear and get both feet the same distance from whatever the landing gear will be sitting on. My 5er landing gear "feet" were adjustable enough that I rarely needed to use Lynx levelers under one of the landing gear feet to make both landing gear feet the same distance from surface they will be resting on.

Then lower the power landing gear to raise the kingpin off the hitch, and disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle, and move the tow vehicle out of the way. Then use the 5er's power landing gear to level the trailer front to rear.

After it is level in both directions, then put down the stabilizers and get them snug but not too tight. NEVER use the stabilizer jacks to level the trailer - get the trailer level before you tighten the stabilizers.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #5

For me I feel more comfortable having one side on solid ground and only raising one side with whatever you use. I chock the side on the ground with regular chock that sit on the ground, and I chock the elevated side with a in between the wheel compression chock.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
You don't mention the brand fo fiver you have. We have a 2011 Carriage Cameo with Quadra Big Foot leveling that works like that of your former motorhome.
All we do is unhitch the truck, pull from under the fiver and then press "auto". The fiver levels perfectly everytime. On some occassions, one side may have the wheels off the ground but this is perfectly fine.
Once level, we tighten the Steadyfast stabilizers which pretty much takes away any movement in the rig. Then we extend the slides and enjoy.
The only time we use a board under the jacks is when we are on soft ground. The Big Foot pads are 10 inches in diameter so not usually a problem with sinking. Phillip
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Heartland RV Club
Thanks all for your responses. I wish I could afford a bigfoot. I did love the automatic leveling on my mh. This is certainly more of a challenge, but since the only thing I'm rich with is time, this is not so bad.
I pretty much already do what y'all have said. And you've answered my question about blocking just one axle. It's not likely anything I'll worry about unless I'm parked for an extended period of time.
Thanks everyone!
Enjoy the journey!

Tags
leveling