RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #1

5er nose too heavy ??

Hi to all. I’m a new member here with a Lippert 3.0 Ground Control issue. First, recently I had a new Onan LP 5500 genny installed in my 2015 Montana High Country 5er. I also am using a convert-a-ball hitch that connects my unit to the gooseneck ball in my 2014 Dodge 3500 dually and I have 2 new batteries in the camper. Since installing the genny when I’ raising the camper nose, my LCI 3.0 controller shuts off right before releasing from the ball. My LCI shows the batteries at anywhere from 10 - 11 volts (it varies) at the moment it shuts off. A recent LCI tech told me my batteries probably came with a “shelf charge” and I should charge them for at least 3-4 days on shore power which I did. So after doing so on the day we were about to move to another campground the volts still dropped to 11 volts and the controller shut off as usual. I’m always able to power it back up and raise the nose an inch or so before it shuts off AGAIN . Once we moved to our next campground (3 hours away), it happened again of course. I called LCI again and told the tech all this and he says maybe the nose of the camper is too heavy for the motors on the front jacks now that I had the genny installed. I find this very hard to believe for the simple fact that this model camper came “prepped” for a genny. Can anyone help me with this issue ?

atmypace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 10:41 PM   #2

Sounds like you need to go to CAT Scales and get weighed
Truck/Trailer...then just truck
Then you will KNOW exactly how much pin weight you have

Plus batteries should NOT be drained below 12.1V....going lower/repeatedly will shorten battery life

Sounds like yours already are........time to charge them fully then remove and have them load tested.
Batteries are dying under the load

Most single motor front landing gear are rated for 4000#---6000# total depending on Brand/Model
Dual Motor units......4000# per leg

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:17 AM   #3

atmypace.......on a couple of the RV forums I'm on, there has been a lot of discussion on that topic. It seems that the standard auto-breaker that most of the trailer manufacturers put in the their trailers is a 50A model. Many times, what happens is that the auto-breaker will trip, then cool down and reset, then the system will work again for a very short period of time. Then trip, cool down and reset. According to what I've read, Lippert has approved a change to allow the 50A breaker to be swapped to an 80A auto-breaker. My only concern with doing that is to make sure that the wiring is of sufficient size to handle the increased current. You may want to contact Lippert about this....it seems to be going on quite a lot. In fact, if I remember correctly, some of the newer models are coming with the 80A auto-breaker instead of the 50A
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:44 AM   #4

When volts go down, amps go up. Weak batteries may be your problem.

Have your batteries been tested ? How old and what size are they ?

As a test, start the generator and have your charger running. With the help of the charger, you may see less of a drop in voltage, keeping the amp draw lower.

See if it works better.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds to me like one or both of your batteries are defective. You need to charge them and load test them. Just because they are new to you doesn't mean they haven't been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse half charged for a long time.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:17 AM   #6

Don't overlook the possibility of the wiring being undersized. RV manufacturers are notorious cheapskates.
R.A.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #7

5er nose too heavy ??

I just completed an install of ground control 3. The manual calls for a 50A circuit breaker.

Page 12 of the aftermarket installation manual. https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...CD_0001498.pdf

Page 10 of the OEM install manual does not specify the size of the breaker. https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ion-Manual.pdf

I totally agree with the assessment that the batteries may be suspect. If your battery voltage is dropping below 12 you have a dead cell or something. This assumes that they used the included power cable which would be sufficient to carry the current.

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote