Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 AM   #15
I started out in a pickup camper. Got a class c then travel trailer now 5er. Granted these were all vintage and I did not take long trips but we camp several times a year. The easiest set up was the motor home and the pickup camper. My next will be a newer class A.

93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #16
Anyone priced our 22.5" tires for a MH? Yikes. I don't know how many miles you get out of them but that's a chunk of change. IIRC close to $3000.00 for six installed.

We've thought about a MH but don't see any advantages at all. In fact less. We would still need to tow something. So setting up in CG would be the same. You would have to unhitch the toad and then drive into the CG to be able to back in you're spot. Unless it's a pull thru. Sure leveling up the MH with hydraulic jacks is easier. But unless you're in a pull thru then you have to drive out to some spot, stop and hook up the toad. In the mean time the truck and 5'er are already hooked up and pulling out.

If watching tv is something you do it's harder to find a MH that has the tv directly across from the sitting area. It's fairly easy to find that in a 5'er.

If you need work done on your MH you can't just roll into any place and have it done. Especially if it's a DP.

One plus is if the MH breaks down you at least have the toad to get around in. If the truck breaks down then you would need to rent a car to get around in if it takes awhile to get fixed. In the mean time you would also need to get the 5th towed somewhere. Either of those scenarios probably don't happen very often if both setups are fairly new. But they are possible.

I still would think about a MH with a small truck as a toad to be able to haul our toys and stuff. But finding the right layout in a MH is more difficult for us anyways.

Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
Geez I'm reading all of this,,, as I can relate... We have our first rv now, a smaller 27' Class A , no slides, and it is too small for 2 of us and 2 kids(dogs) We have learned a lot,,, from experience AND this site... Within 1-2 years I'm looking at a new or fairly new pickup,,, and "we" are looking at TT's and 5th wheels... That way I could use the pickup as a daily driver and have more room in the rv... Never owned a TT, but except the fact stated about auto levelers, I would think it is about the same setup... Same hookups,,, etc... No auto anything here, but I'm ready for an adult beverage in 10-15 minutes.... Good luck with your choice...
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #18
A fifthwheel can be set up just a easily as any motorhome, certainly if you have a toad to unhook too.

The only difference may be pulling into a site during incliment weather. This debate has not changed much over the years and its very subjective.

I can unhitch my TV, push 1 button for auto level and our fifthwheel levels faster than our previous air-only level MH did. Plus I don't have to hear a compressor run through the night to relevel the coach.

Try to make a choice based on the needs that best suits your family.

Adam Hunter and Family.
2009 Newmar DutchAire 4330 (The only DA 4330)
2015 F150 SuperCrew Toad
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote